Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

3 posters

my other project....a 57 bel air.

gasolinejunky
    gasolinejunky

my other project....a 57 bel air. - Page 2 Empty Re: my other project....a 57 bel air.

Post  gasolinejunky Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:30 pm

Hey Dave,well it will show more tire and create an illusion without me raising the car in the rear,its easier to change the tire also,lol..... and because i have two out of 6 kids and a grandson at home i need a family (4 door)Hot Rod to take to the shows,its also nice building cars for a living.My shop is on my property so i get alot done after hours on my rides.Now as far as two builds,well that is tough on time and the wallet too.I think your 56 is great,i had one and regret selling it. Mike
    gasolinejunky
    gasolinejunky

my other project....a 57 bel air. - Page 2 Empty Re: my other project....a 57 bel air.

Post  gasolinejunky Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:46 pm

side view.my other project....a 57 bel air. - Page 2 002-3
    gasolinejunky
    gasolinejunky

Post  gasolinejunky Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:46 pm

my other project....a 57 bel air. - Page 2 001-3
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:14 pm

gasolinejunky wrote:Hey Dave,well it will show more tire and create an illusion without me raising the car in the rear,its easier to change the tire also,lol..... and because i have two out of 6 kids and a grandson at home i need a family (4 door)Hot Rod to take to the shows,its also nice building cars for a living.My shop is on my property so i get alot done after hours on my rides.Now as far as two builds,well that is tough on time and the wallet too.I think your 56 is great,i had one and regret selling it. Mike

Oh Man...
    Don't get me started on regrets over selling rides, there are only a few I don't regret. My pickup is a '53 but the one in the avatar is just a Photoshop job made from a picture of a '56 as a kind of project model. The fact that it is actually a '56 didn't really matter much because otherwise it is pretty much the same. However, once in a while people think I am working on a '56. I'm not proud of my lack of progress on the '53 but there are reasons other than procrastination, which I am guilty of. I too work at home but I am also retired and living on pension, retirement and SS. All that allows me a decent existence but if I want the extra things in life I have to do extra work. I do a lot in my shop but I also own a custom and classic car transport business, (see www.Rides4Rides.com ), and I teach two days a week at a local adult education vocational school. With all that you would think I would not have gotten involved with a second vehicle project. But it didn't work out that way. I just had to have the COE. When I drug that COE home my wife asked if that meant I had given up on my '53. Strange as it seems, it actually seems to be helping because I am constantly focused on a vehicle project for a greater percentage of my time. When I'm working on one, ideas seem to pop into my head about how to do something that has me stumped on the other one. Also I don't have as much down time waiting on parts and good ideas.

I don't have a problem with sedans and four door cars. As a matter of fact, back in '64 and '65 I had a '67 BelAir 4DR sedan like yours. I also remember that you could get the rear wheels off if you put a jack under the axle. You had to do a lift at the frame and let the suspension stretch out. So after you explained your reason for what you did it came back to me. But hey, give me a break, that was almost 50 years ago.

Later Man...

Darkside Dave
    gasolinejunky
    gasolinejunky

Post  gasolinejunky Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:58 pm

Sounds like you got your hands full.Hey i didnt know you haul,man i always ebay cars and have on occasion passed on some in your area because of not knowing who to call to haul.Had a model a delivered from Iowa from a guy out of MO. that was 6.5 years ago,he only charged me 650.great price,im sure its higher now with gas cost.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:37 pm

gasolinejunky wrote:Sounds like you got your hands full.Hey i didnt know you haul,man i always ebay cars and have on occasion passed on some in your area because of not knowing who to call to haul.Had a model a delivered from Iowa from a guy out of MO. that was 6.5 years ago,he only charged me 650.great price,im sure its higher now with gas cost.

Yeah, I do move them once in a while. However, I'm high priced and it's not because I want to gouge people. It's just a matter of making money beyond expenses. I do now also have an open trailer for less desirable vehicles that won't be hurt by road debris. I wanted it because it is a ton lighter and no wind resistance. I can run a bit cheaper with it. The fuel and insurance is the big thing and tires for the truck alone cost about $1,400.00 to change. I only run good radial trailer tires and that's about $500.00 a change for each trailer...If you look at my website there is a link to pictures of some of the neater stuff I have hauled and in each case the owners were concerned about how their property would be treated and pampered. I'm at $2.50 a mile enclosed right now and if fuel does as they are predicting I can see another fifty cents a mile. People don't like to pay for my deadhead but it still costs as much as loaded with the enclosed trailer and I have to cover it somehow. All that said, I do try to help folks when I can. In your case there may be an occasional situation where I can help at a much lower price. My son lives in Douglasville, GA, that is about 20 miles west of Atlanta and I occasionally go down with a trailer to get something down there. I know Augusta is not near by but I could cut you a break in one of those cases for Fuel only. I get about 8 MPG with the enclosed trailer and the new open trailer ought to do better but I don't know how much as I have never had it on a long run to test it.

Later Man...

Darkside Dave
    scrapheap51
    scrapheap51

Post  scrapheap51 Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:34 am

The modification on rear wheel well looks great. Keep up the great work! I plan to pick up where I left off on my panel last year. I am trying to do some patch work on my floor panels.
    gasolinejunky
    gasolinejunky

Post  gasolinejunky Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:02 pm

new Danchuk pans came in today,cant wait to cut out the old and weld them in.my other project....a 57 bel air. - Page 2 007-3
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

my other project....a 57 bel air. - Page 2 Empty Start welding !!!

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:45 pm

Nice looking pans... Can't wait to see how they look after you get them welded in. Soon I will be doing the same in my COE.

Later Man...

Darkside Dave

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 2:43 pm