Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

4 posters

New Car Project

wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

New Car Project Empty New Car Project

Post  wmjoe1953 Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:50 am

Well, I've been super busy lately, and have been neglecting my internet forum duties. Things are finally coming down, and I think it's time to get back to business. So, I've got a new toy coming to the stables. I picked up a 1963 Falcon Futura 2dr Sedan. It came with a '62 donor, that is pretty well gone, but has some good patch panel metal. The plan for the '63 is already laid out, and it's time to get it introduced. For starters, it's a 2dr, duh, and it's not too bad a shape. The right front frame rail is bent a bit, but the donor has a straight one. I've got to fix a couple dented spots in the quarters, and only one actual rust place. The 170 turns over, but it's coming out. I'm putting a EFI 5.0 motor in it, with an AOD trans. I'm gonna put an aftermarket IFS under the front, and power brakes. It's gonna sit on air. The interior is going to be restored to almost factory perfect original. It will be setting low, and I want to put Cobra 17" wheels under it, but I may change my mind on that. I'll try and get some pictures posted ASAP, since I think I'm towing it home tomorrow, but not sure yet. I've still got other things going on, so my getting on here may be hit and miss for a while. I'll be back soon, hopefully with updated news.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

New Car Project Empty Re: New Car Project

Post  Darkside Dave Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:01 am

Hey Man... Glad to see you are back with us. I expect a lot of folks here have been involved with stuff like Christmas and all. The traffic here has been really slow. Even Grumpy, the Master Poster has laid back.

Anyway, I tried your link and it only takes me to the search page for some reason. However the project sounds interesting. If you do start a build trhead let me know because I can help you get the pictures up.

One question... Just out of curiosity, with all those cool mods, why are you so intent on an original interior??? They were pretty sparse and I never found them to be very comfortable.

Later Man...
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:10 pm

Darkside Dave wrote:
    One question... Just out of curiosity, with all those cool mods, why are you so intent on an original interior??? They were pretty sparse and I never found them to be very comfortable.

Later Man...

Hey Dave. Well, actually, I like the look of the interiors from back then. I'm thinking the only real visible exterior mod (beside sitting fairly low), is going to be custom wheels. I think it would pretty cool, doing kind of a sleeper thing. Let it look all dainty, and soft, like the round Falcons did, and then be all ferocious, and nasty under the hood, kind of like a Falcon that's done been pissed off. Oh, and I fixed the link in my signature.
    charger
    charger

Post  charger Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:23 pm

sounds like a cool project! did the same thing to a 67 dart,kept the original upolstry,changed the bench seat to a set of original buckets, center console, kept it as original as possible outside except the fuel filler was shaved and located in the trunk and stuffed a nasty 440 into the engine bay! wish i kept that car!
    havi
    havi

Post  havi Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:10 pm

Local junkyard owner I know is a Falcon fanatic, of which he has a few. If there's parts you can't find I can always ask. BTW, here's a pic of the Falkoon.
    New Car Project 521134-tallfordfalkoon
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:42 pm

I do need a few things havi. I need a grille, that aint bent up, and a pair of bumpers.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:50 am

Well, I worked on it this evening. I got the hood off, and started in the right fron corner, where the frame is a little tweaked. I got the inner fender cut out, and could really see how bad the frame is bent. Luckily, it's a unibody, and the axle center is what took the hit, so it didn't really do much to the fire wall, and toe-board area. I did notice, however, that a previous repair was done on the driver side front. Whoever did it, riveted a section over part of another section, and it looks completely god awful. Unacceptable, so the whole nose is going to be grafted from the '62 parts car I got with this '63. The frame rail on the right, will be pretty easily fixed. The main section of the rail is only bowed in, and it's the outer plate that is tacked to the inner that is bent. I'll be able to section out a piece of the outer plate, and straighten the bow in the main rail. I'm going to replace the front inner structures by drilling out the spot welds, and placing it all back in factory alignment. When done, I hope that it will be undetectable. I'll then get started on installing an aftermarket IFS kit, and get underway with the EFI 5.0 install. Oh, just a side note, the EFI 5.0 is goona get pepped up a bit by using '96 Explorer heads and intake, since the 5.0 Explorers from 9-95 thru 2001, use Ford GT-40 "Cobra SVT" heads, and intake. Since the CC's are smaller, they give an '80's car 5.0 around 10:1 compression, and use the bigger valves, and I will be using the biggest cam I can fit without fly cutting the pistons. hen done, I should be setting around 400-425 HP with all factory available bolt on parts, I just gotta mix, and match the best comboes to get there. It'll be a fun little bird of prey, that's for sure.
    charger
    charger

Post  charger Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:37 am

what year 5.0l are you using?
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:36 am

It's an '86 or '87 5.0.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:21 am

Hi Joe,
    Every once in a while you see those late 80s Stangs running on Pass Time and they still are impressive. My son had an '89 GT and that thing was wicked. My neighbor Koth has the High Output 5.0 from a '90 Mark 8 he is going to use in his rat rod. Even though it's stock it still ought to be really fun ride.

Do you plan on tweaking the PCM? It seems that with all those mods it would be necessary. I assume you harvested the wiring harness and PCM with the engine. What was the donor?

Keep us posted on this and try to start a build thread here.

Later Man...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:59 am