Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

+4
Darkside Dave
55f350
tomget
wmjoe1953
8 posters

1963 Futura Build-up

wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

1963 Futura Build-up - Page 2 Empty Re: 1963 Futura Build-up

Post  wmjoe1953 Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:31 pm

I know what you meant. I do have to agree, however, that the fun isn't in the stripping, and planning, and talking. It's the making a plan come together, and getting to see the forward progress that's interesting, and fun. The settlement check is supposed to be in sometime this week, so I'm getting anxious about all the prospects. The Big Job is on hold due to weather, so I understand your frustrations there. That is why I got the Falcon. Something that can be worked on inside. It will be placed on hold for a few weeks though, as we start the forward progress of our lives. When the settlement check arrives, we will buying a house with my father. We scoped out a 4 bedroom, 3 bath home on an acre, with a WAY oversized two car garage. The asking price is $110,900, and it's assesed at $174,000. It's bank owned, so I feel a little bad about taking over someone elses repo, but hey, I've never owned a house, and it's perfect. After we get settled in, I have a friend that is a contractor, and he is going to help with a nice sized shop. Then, I'll be able to get back to my Fords. I'll keep plugging away on the car until moving time, but I won't be getting so involved that I can't load it up, and move it. The real bugger is going to be moving the truck, since the Cat motor is disassembled. Oh well, I'll keep the updates coming.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:06 am

A bit more was accomplished today. I managed to get the rear inner quarter panel replaced, and ready for the outer Q/P. I'll be working on the outer tomorrow. A few more pictures in my photobucket, but here are the before and afters.

1963 Futura Build-up - Page 2 DSCF1658

1963 Futura Build-up - Page 2 DSCF1659

1963 Futura Build-up - Page 2 DSCF1717

1963 Futura Build-up - Page 2 DSCF1715
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:09 am

You seem to be making steady progress. As a matter of fact, if the lack of posting lately is any indication, you are the only one of us who is getting anything done. It's like the rest of the guys have gone into hibernation. Of course I too have not done anything on my trucks. But I have been working on equipment in the shop which will be pressed into service when I get back on the trucks. Considering you are also in the midst of getting another place to live and relocating, you are making great progress. I hoping the rest of us will soon be able to get some posts up on our build threads. I'm counting on the better weather to come and hopefully the resurgence of the economy to make things better.

Looking at your latest work it makes me wonder if the designers ever considered the possibility of rust occurring in places that were obviously natural rust magnets. I see that they have finally done better in that area in what I see of the later models I look at in the bone yards. I'm sure that the extensive use of galvanized metal helped a lot too.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Later Man...
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:02 pm

I think they did put some thought into rust. The area I'm repairing does have a drain hole. The rust in this one was caused by mice. The little buggers get in there, make their nests, and after so long of them using their beds as toilets, it creates a very corrosive mess that sits and collects moisture, and eats at the metal. This was the only spot in the car with any rust damage. Now, in most cases, it's the collection of water in these areas, due to leaking gaskets, and such. The drain holes were rarely big enough, and got easily plugged up, and usually weren't low enough in the panel they planned on draining.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:53 am

And still a little more progress. I'll be picking up a '63 4 speed steering column in a week or two, along with the T-5 tranny, and it's mating '93 Mustang Cobra engine. I'm also going to get a straight rear bumper, since mine is all beat up. I have been working on stitching in the rear quarter panel. It's more or less in, and I am now in the welding it up, smoothing it out stage. I'm getting a new body hammer, and dolly set on Wednesday, so that will really help out in the smoothing out the little dings, and dents areas. Especially around the quarter I've been welding in. Matching up a used quarter on an old car is a PAIN in the ARS. No two cars are absolutelt identical, so there are plenty of little fitment issues to overcome. Oh well, it will all be worth the extra effort when done. So far, I think that by the time I'm done with this quarter panel, and get it all worked over with the hammers, and dollies, it really won't need much in the way of fillers. Anyhow, 16 pictures added to the photo bucket, and here's a couple of them. You can really see the mess in the second picture. This is from trying to get the two panels to line up with eacthother, and line up with the door at the same time. I actually had to grind off the front edge of the quarter, and am rebuilding it. One panel had too much metal from the factory, and the other was tucked in real tight originally. Oh well, it's the name of the game.

1963 Futura Build-up - Page 2 DSCF1729

1963 Futura Build-up - Page 2 DSCF1730

1963 Futura Build-up - Page 2 DSCF1734
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:11 am

Looking good there Joe...

Those long flat surfaces can be a real pain to put together and get smoothed out, but I think you will get there. Actually your progress has been quite rapid compared to most people doing this as a hobby as opposed to being a regular job. I hope to get back on my own project and get some stuff posted but there are other things that are impeding my progress. Maybe by late March or early April.

Right now you are our build thread posting champion. Thanks for posting and keep up the good work.

Later Man...
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:03 am

While waiting on tols from the tool truck, I moved on to other parts. I started stripping the paint off the car. I got the quarter panel totally stripped, along with part of the trunk lid, the "C" pillar, and started on the left front fender, and hood. I mocked up the replacement door, and the hood, and fenders. They are held on with brightly colored zip ties right now. I also moved onto making some Craigslist deals. Will be going to get a 4 speed '63 column, a newer 5.0 block than the one I have, a T-5, a decent rear bumper, and maybe a Maverick 8" rear end the weekend of the 13th. Dave, what's the axle flange to axle flange with on the Explorer 8.8? I need a rear axle assembly no more than about 56-56.5" wide flange to flange. If the Explorer is in that range, one would work, and I won't have to keep looking for a Maverick rear end. I got more pics in the photo bucket, not enough to add them, but if you want to Dave, you can. There's a few more in there.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:54 am

Joe,

I will go outside today and uncover the rolling Explorer rolling chassis and get you a measurement. It shpould be the same for '95 thru about 2000 or when ever they changed to IRS. I'll have it by tonight.

Later Man...

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:25 pm

Here you go Joe,
    As close as I can tell it is 58 3/4" flange to flange and the spring pads are 39" center to center. How does that work for you???

Later Man...

wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:55 pm

Thanks for the measurement Dave. That's two inches too wide. I did finally manage to track down an eight inch. I'll be picking it up in two weeks, along with the T-5, the floor shift column, and the back bumper, and the '89 5.0 Cobra motor. I'll be ordering in an aftermarket front end kit this week. Once I actually have parts on their way, it will come together alot faster. So far, the list is actually taking shape. 5.0 block, with 331 Probe stroker kit. AFR 185 heads, non-emissions. Undecided on the actual intake, but the FAST EZ EFI kit for air/fuel charge. 1 5/8 headers, long tube, with 2 1/2 collectors, and 2 1/2 pipe all the way out. Flow Master 40 or 44's for mufflers. 3.55 gears in the rear axle, with a locker. The cam will be either a COMP XFI 236, or an Extreme Energy Roller, but I want a top end peak int he 6500-6800 range. Main girdle, for stability, and rocker girdles as well. 1.6 ratio roller rockers, unless I go with a slightly smaller cam, and they will 1.7 ratio then. The whole package should be in the 450-475 HP range, whcih will be just right for a slightly upgraded T-5. I will be matching an aluminum flywheel, and light weight balancer though, because I want to take advantage of the 331s tendancy to be a fast revving rotating assembly. All and all, it will be a very aggressive sounding package, and will make one heck of a nice high way cruiser, and even make for a nice surprise at the strip on rare occasions. The interior, and exterior will look very close to stock, except for the lower more muscular stance, and a set of older style Cragars.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:06 am

I have to wonder where you will find a nine inch that won't need to be narrowed. There is one possibility but it would probably be hard to find. The first Broncos had the 9 inch diffs in them and they were a very narrow vehicle. Getting a nine inch from a wider vehicle is going to be a high dollar deal once you get it narrowed and buy the right axles. The two extra inches in the Explorer can be countered with the right wheels.

Later Man...
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:25 am

Might be a major plan change. I'm eyeballing a '63 Sprint that is here in Oregon. If it works out, I'll be building a "his, and hers." I'll do the Sedan, with less power, and an auto for the "hers," and the Sprint, with a all out street performance set up for the "his." I'll still be doing the 331, with T-5, but it will be in the Sprint. I'll be doing a 306 (5.0 with a .030 bore) and a C-4 in the Sedan, still doing the 8" with probably a 3.00:1 gear, and a MII kit up front. The Sprint will get a factory style front suspension, upgraded with a Shelby design (altered upper control arm position, and heavier sway bar, and different rate springs), with a disk brake conversion. The rear will get a 3.55:1 gear set, with locker. I'll finish up the '54 Big Job, and sell it, since I won't need to put but maybe $5000 into it to make it a reliable driving rig. My dad sent off the paper work, and an earnest money check today to buy the house on 1.04 acres, so things will start moving right along now. The Sprint is on ebay. I'll post the item number soon.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:28 am

Check it out, here's the item number 150410311230 It's here in Oregon, and I already talked to the guy. It is a real vin accurate Sprint, so I think it will be a great project.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:17 am

Hi Joe,

I just took a look at the white Falcon. I even bookmarked it because I am curious to see what the bid price goes up to. Usually in the last five minutes these things get out of hand if more than two people are interested. The guy who took the picture was sure not interested in glamorizing the thing.

Your his and hers idea is something like I have in mind for my two '53s. I too am contemplating a tamer and easier version for the wife. I have a 4.0L electronic all wheel drive drive train from a '97 Aerostar for it. I first thought of matching paint jobs until I came up with ny Radio Flyer theme. Do you plan on making your's match or painting them differently? Just don't get your hopes up too high until you actually acquire the other car. I have done that more than once and it's a real bummer.

I am rather amazed at how fast the big truck has fallen from grace with you. That's sort of sad. But hey, it's also good to be practical. You can only do so much.

Later Man...
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:36 am

It's not so much that the big truck has fallen from grace, as I do want to keep it, but it is a practicality thing. I would like the 63 Sprint, but the settlement money will only go so far, if I spend, spend, spend. Of course, the priorities are first....kids dental exams, eye exams, check up for the wife, and eye, getting into the new house, etc., etc. Only because my dad is helping, is some of it coming together. Now, since I want to make sure I keep a comfortable amount in savings, it now comes down to the if you want, you have to sacrifice. I can get 53-55 Ford trucks still, almost a dime a dozen. They're everywhere, especially in this farm country. I can build another big truck, especially since two more big jobs are joining my family stable (dad is scoring two for $800). So, I gott do what I gotta do. The mistakes, and triumphs I made on this big truck, I can carry over to a new, only with fewer mistakes, less waste, and a bigger, and better finished product. With a wife, and three kids, everything I do has to be able to include them too, and we all can't fit comfortably in a day cab, that I don't want to cut the back wall out of.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:15 pm

Hey, I understand completely... Sometimes we have to be practical even if it hurts. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt and the ball cap and wore them out.

That's why I have the Scoobygator up for sale, See: https://darksidersrealm.forumotion.com/custom-home-built-f23/behold-the-work-of-a-twisted-mind-t16.htm
    I spent a lot of the last five years off and on between projects putting that thing together and there is a part of me that doesn't want to get rid of it. And that's in spite of the fact that I really don't need it and I have no real practical use for it. It's just hard for me to let go of something I created. That is probably why you can't hardly move around in my shop. If I were more practical I would probably get rid of some stuff.

Man you are making me cry with thoses stories of there being all those old Ford trucks and parts around there. That stuff is really rare here. I need three good or at least repairable hoods for my
    '53s and a set of really big truck front fenders as my son wants to sit his down on an '86 F-250 diesel 4WD rolling chassis. I am thinking they would have to be from an F-800 or bigger because I have a set from an F-600 and they don't look any wider than the ones on my F-100's. So, go ahead and make me feel bad.

I agree with you on matters of your family. we only have one son and he is 600 miles away. We used to live out in the country and we were a mile from the nearest neighbor. My son and I did everything together. I really miss him a lot. At least you have your Dad. I lost my Dad over 30 years ago and I still miss him.

Later Man...
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:12 pm

You know, I happen to have an extra set of Big Job front fenders. Yeah, I can go get a 53 F-600 right now for $600. There's a 55 F-100 three doors down, I can get for $1000, a 53-55 F-100/250 ?? just out of town I can probably get for under $1000. There are around out here, and just ready to be hauled off.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:46 pm

Oh Goody!!!

Now all I need to do is figure a cheap way to get them from you to me. Are they physically wider than the 600's?

If I ever get a transport out there I would end up blowing my profits on that stuff.

Later Man...
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:14 pm

They are physically wider than the smaller ones. Look at my truck pictures, and there are some frontal view shots.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:58 am

Not much to report yet. Just more stripping paint, and little stuff like that. I ordered a few tools to better repair the body sections that need attention, and I got some more air tools accessories. Going up this weekend to pick up some parts, and to get that '63 Sprint. After that, I'll hold back for a spell, and get my big truck dealt with, so I can sell it, and use the money to buy more Falcon stuff. The house we were going after fell through, someone got in under us, before our earnest money got applied, and made a cash offer, that was accepted. Oh well, going keep looking.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:39 am

Hey Joe,

Sorry to hear about your house deal. That's gotta be a real bummer... At least you are being realistic about the whole deal and forging on. No use crying over it now...

Did you get the other5 Falcon?

Later Man...

wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:44 am

I'm getting the '63 Sprint this weekend. I am also picking up some parts for the two.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:23 pm

How much did you end up getting it for? When I last saw it was at 610.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:39 pm

I went to the $3000 reserve. It's complete, but disassembled. It also comes with a correct motor and trans. I think, after some work, it will be worth at least twice the purchase price, even unrestored.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:45 pm

WOW !!! Who woulda thought???

I would never have figured it would have gone that high although I did expect it to go up near the end of the auction. I had no idea they would bring that much. Of course you don't see many around these days. Kinda like a Pinto. I have been looking for one of those but nothing has turned up.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:45 pm