Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

+4
Darkside Dave
55f350
tomget
wmjoe1953
8 posters

1963 Futura Build-up

wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

1963 Futura Build-up - Page 3 Empty Re: 1963 Futura Build-up

Post  wmjoe1953 Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:18 pm

Well, changing plans (again). The '63 Sedan is going to be assembled, and redone, and then hit the chopping block. I tried the Big Job one last time on ebay, and it didn't go, even after listing at $5700, which is the absolute lowest I would go after the time I have invested. So, I got a Cummins motor for the big job, (more on that in the trucks section), and have parts enroute for the Sedan. The Sprint, is going to be done up as a keeper. More to follow, as I get some stuff under way. Oh yeah, 90-92 Ranger 8.8 is the same width as the 60-63 Falcon. I now have one of those for it.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:51 pm

wmjoe1953 wrote:Well, changing plans (again). The '63 Sedan is going to be assembled, and redone, and then hit the chopping block. I tried the Big Job one last time on ebay, and it didn't go, even after listing at $5700, which is the absolute lowest I would go after the time I have invested. So, I got a Cummins motor for the big job, (more on that in the trucks section), and have parts enroute for the Sedan. The Sprint, is going to be done up as a keeper. More to follow, as I get some stuff under way. Oh yeah, 90-92 Ranger 8.8 is the same width as the 60-63 Falcon. I now have one of those for it.

Hi Joe,

I just got back from a six day round trip delivering cars and visiting my son in Atlanta. So, I have to catch up on everything here. I forgot to tell you about the older Ranger axles. the only drawback is the axles are 28 as opposed to 31 spline. If you are building with big HP the experts seem to think that matters.

Later Man....

wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:50 pm

Well, the paint's off of the Sedan. I'm doing the "repair dings and dents" phase. I've ordered numerous parts (oh, that's sooooo much fun). The engine is at the machine shop, getting bored .030, and getting the heads rebuilt. It'll be back this week, and will get put on a stand and bagged up until I'm ready to assemble it. I've ordered new foam for the seats, I got a nice pair of bumpers coming, a good grille, and a real good set of front fenders. I just don't know which car is going to get what parts yet. A C-4 tranny should be here any day, and I have an order en-route from Summit for a flexplate, harmonic balancer, floor shifter, tach, and something else. I got a dual plane intake for the 5.0, and the boss hooked me up with a couple carbs, one for the 306 going in the Sedan, and one for the 331 that will go in the Sprint. After the body work is done, the car will be ready for paint. I'm doing the Sedan with the Dupli-Color Paint Shop Acrylic Laquer paints, for simplicity and costs sake. It's $16.?? a quart, and comes pour and spray ready, primer, color, and clear. I still need the headliner, and seat uphlestry, and I'll just about done getting parts. I've opted to keep the Ranger 8.8, and MII IFS for the Sprint, and will putting the Sprint suspension parts in the Sedan, since I will be selling it. The T-5, and 331 will be in the Sprint, and I will keeping it for a nice cruiser/strip toy. I also scored some parts for the Big Job, but I'll update my thread in there about that stuff. Will try and get pictures soon.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:33 am

Hey Joe,

Don't forget to put a few desiccant bags in with that engine block when you bag it on the stand. I've seen those things rust on in the bags. Of course rubbing down the machined surfaces with WD40 works pretty good too. Just don't get the WD on the surfaces you want to paint. You are doing a great job and moving right along there.

Later Man...

wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:23 am

I hear ya with the WD-40. That's what we do here. However, our humidity is nearly nothing, compared to the air you have over there. It takes about 2-3 weeks for an unprepped block to start getting anything that can't rubbed off with WD-40, around here.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:24 am

Got the MII front end under it. I picked up some 15x6 chrome smoothies, with baby moons too. More photos in my photobucket, but here are a couple for ya. I got a lot of the body work done, but still need to finish it up. It's almost ready for paint, which will be perfect timing, since the weather is starting to get warmer. The after install ride height is about 3-4" lower than stock in the front end. Since the Falcons always seemed high in the front, I think it will be perfect. I picked up several more parts for it, so I should be able to start making major head way again. There's more photos, so check em out.

BEFORE:

1963 Futura Build-up - Page 3 DSCF1768

AFTER:

1963 Futura Build-up - Page 3 DSCF1802
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:26 am

And a nice shot of the new 15" wheel, and moon cap

1963 Futura Build-up - Page 3 DSCF1793
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

1963 Futura Build-up - Page 3 Empty Looking good !!!

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:04 am

Hi Joe,
    I see you have really been progressing. You and Stephen67 with his truck are the only two guys that seem to be getting stuff done. I keep getting tied up in doing other people's stuff but that is what pays so I keep doing it.

Later Man...
    58 ford
    58 ford

Post  58 ford Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:01 pm

HI joe
    Had a look at the pics of your BIG JOB reminds me of my trucking days AND my 96 western star with a 425 cat. Very Happy
    Later Andrew
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:38 pm

Thanks Andrew....the Big Job is one hell of a truck. So, the Falcon was moved out of the garage, and the the garage got cleaned up some. I relocated things. The '63 Sprint came back home, the Big Job went down to the tow yard at work (feels wierd not having the Big Job at the house, kinda empty). I had to make room to get some of these things worked on. I got a couple more pictures of the Falcon Sedan....

1963 Futura Build-up - Page 3 DSCF1803

1963 Futura Build-up - Page 3 DSCF1805
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:24 am

Hi Joe,
    It looks as though you are moving right along at a monster pace. Everything is looking good. I wasn't sure about the wheels at first but they seem to be growing on me. It ought to look nice.

Later Man...
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Tue May 04, 2010 11:18 pm

A couple more pictures were added to my photobucket, but they are mostly redundant, and not worth adding to the thread. I've just about finsihed stripping the front fenders, and did get the rear panel stripped. We've had a few really cold weekends, so it's been difficult getting much done. I got the ding in the roof handled, and the seams at the rear roof pillar. I got all my interior taken care of. I ordered a carpet, door panels, and seat upholestry from Lonestar on ebay. They are REALLY REALLY nice parts. I'll spread em out and take pictures this weekend, and post em up. I got some self etching primer, and primer surfacer ordered, and will be able to prime it next weekend (not this one coming up, but the following). I have just about everything for it now, except weather stripping. I think I am changing my paint color choice. I found a nice gun metal grey metallic I think I am going to go with instead, with the red interior. After I get it assembled, I will be putting it on ebay, with a $7500-$8000 opening bid. I think it should be worth at least that much. NADA has "high retail" at $7500 approx. My headliner will be here this week or early next week. I have new (restored/rechromed) bumpers front and rear.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

1963 Futura Build-up - Page 3 Empty What??? You're selling this???

Post  Darkside Dave Wed May 05, 2010 9:25 am

Man I can't believe you are going through all this just to sell this thing. You have managed to turn a hobby into a job Man... Oh well, whatever blows up your skirt I guess...

So tell me more about the self etching primer.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Wed May 05, 2010 3:28 pm

I wasn't going to sell the car at first, but I gotta choose one (or two) and let the extras go. The self-etching primer, is because the car is in bare steel, and no paint manufacturers recommend primer surfacer, or any other paint over bare steel, unless it's been etched in a wash, or an actual etching primer. It's to promote mechanical, and chemical adhesion of the top coat(s). You know all them cars from 80's/90's that the paint falls off of, well, that's part of the problem. Yeah, I'm restoring/rebuilding it to sell it. It keeps me home, and out of trouble, and I enjoy it. I did realize, however, that I actually enjoy the build more than I do the owning of it. I will, of course, keep the Sprint, since I want a car with a 331 stroker, and all that good stuff, and I am going to cut loose the Big Job, after it's running and driving again. I want a Big Job for myself, but this one isn't "big" enough, so I will part ways to build what I really want in the end. I guess, it's a means to an end.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed May 05, 2010 4:45 pm

OK, I get the picture with the selling and such. I also have to agree on the build being a lot of fun... Well,,, maybe it's wanted aggravation of a sort we can't do without.

Anyway, the part of how and why I knew about considering the primer. I was really more interested where you got it, what brand it was and what it cost you. A lot of folks around here like the epoxy primer and they claim it sticks well to bare metal. There is also a mild acid solution called Metal Prep that etches but they are careful to point out that it should be washed off with a solvent. The only hold back with the epoxy is that it gets hard pretty fast and that it should be sanded a little to rough it up shortly after it is applied. The good part is you can leave it set outside and it won't start deteriorating and start more rusting. The bad part, a gallon and the catalyst is about $100.00.

Something else occurred to me when looking at these build threads. They do tend to get clogged up with stuff like I am doing now. If you like I can go through and delete some of the older conversational stuff so it won't be cluttering up your thread. I think I am going to do that with mine. Havi had me clean his out some time ago. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not suggesting that you limit it or get rid of anything you want to keep. I just thought you would like to know the option is there.

Later Man...

Last edited by Darkside Dave on Thu May 06, 2010 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Wed May 05, 2010 10:44 pm

I got the primers through a company online. It is Trinity 1945, out of New Jersey. I can't remember the brand off the top of my head. The gallon of etch, gallon of primer surfacer, gallon of reducer for the etch, and the quart of activator, and pint of reducer for the surfacer, all cost me $170 somthing with the $30 ground shipping charge. The whole mess also comes with the strainers for the paint, and stir sticks, etc., etc. I did a lot of searching, and a lot of price comparison, and I decided on them, because they were the most affordable for a comparable product to any one else. It is all Acrylic Urethane. I've been searching since I got the car for a reasonable way to paint it on my own. I decided on this process through conversations with local paint pros, and numerous online searches. I was thinking about just doing an etch wash, but opted for the etch prime because all I have to do is scrub it over with a scotch bright, and wipe it down with some laquer thinner, and a tack rag, and squirt it. I also got a new DeVilbiss paint gun set, as well as a better filter set up than the one I got. The company I got the primer from, also has really good prices for top coats colors. In all actuallity, the primer I got, cost me the same as what the exact same product my local parts house sales, except that the parts house cost is just for the surfacer, without any activator, or etching prime.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu May 06, 2010 9:33 am

If you still have it, see if you can post the link to that New Jersey company here and/or in the links category.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Thu May 06, 2010 10:03 am

That was easy....it's www.paintforcars.com I guess I probably could of guessed and gotten it right. I guess I'll go and try to smack the penny off my forehead now....lol Here's my sign.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu May 06, 2010 10:06 am

Thanks Man... I'll look into it.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Fri May 14, 2010 1:11 am

I got my primers and their respective activators/reducers. I got the car all prepped for the shell to go into etch. I sprayed the etching primer today after work. I got really great coverage, concidering it only takes a thin coating of the etch, with about 1.5 qts of material. Bear in mind, this is just the shell, no doors, and no hood, or front fenders. I have more pictures in my photobucket, but here are a couple. Over the last weekend, I managed to finiah up the long block, and am ready to button up the engine with the intake and such. I still haven't swapped the rear end out yet, but I might get to it this weekend. I will be able to get the entire project in final primer this weekend, and may even be able to get the interior parts that will be red, in color. I am hoping that the Gun Metal Grey Metallic will show up tomorrow, but if not, it should be here Monday, and I'll be able to shoot the outside next week. It's starting to come together more rapidly now, and after the etch went on, I noticed only a few minor flaws that need to be addressed. So, all in all, it is a really straight looking car, and should turn out REALLY SUPER nice. Will keep you posted.

The Engine:

1963 Futura Build-up - Page 3 DSCF1820

Before Prime:

1963 Futura Build-up - Page 3 DSCF1809

After Prime:

1963 Futura Build-up - Page 3 DSCF1844
    1963 Futura Build-up - Page 3 DSCF1842
    1963 Futura Build-up - Page 3 DSCF1841
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Fri May 14, 2010 9:46 am

Man you are going way too fast... You better watch out for 55F350, aka Kevin... When someone gets to going fast on a project he gets out his voodoo effigies and stars drilling holes in them with a Chinese harbor Freight drill so it will put a curse on your project. I know this because he admits it. He screwed up my plasma cutter because he said I was making too much progress. But that's OK, I now have plump little mail man doll and I'm not afraid to use it.

Oh. BTW, nice work Man...

Later...
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Fri May 14, 2010 9:54 am

I hope not, because mine has to get finished for a reason. I gotta get this completed, and up for sale soon. Kevin, if you read this, PLEASE don't curse the thing. I gotta get it put together as soon as possible, and can't afford too many issues. I don't think it can be cursed anyhow Dave, for some reason, I think my late mother, and my late father-inlaw are protecting everything we do. Oh yeah, thanks for the compliment.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Sat May 15, 2010 8:05 pm

Painted the dash board today. It's a real nice, shiney red now. After several hours, I was able to wet sand it with 2000 grit, and started buffing it. I got the top of it buffed, for the most part. I need to go buy me a buffer, cause this by hand shit has gotta go. There's NO way I'll be able to cut and buff the entire car by hand.

1963 Futura Build-up - Page 3 DSCF1850

1963 Futura Build-up - Page 3 DSCF1855
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sat May 15, 2010 9:35 pm

Nice lookin' dash Man...

I know how that hand buffing thing goes...
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Sat May 15, 2010 10:02 pm

Yeah, it sucks. And to think, I almost went Acrylic Laquer instead......that would of been enough to piss me off. lol.. So, I need to go get a couple new polish rags tomorrow, since the rest of mine got too contaminated by garage dust, and dirt. I'll finish buffing the dash tomorrow. Other than that, I also got the hood in etching prime today. Mu Dupli-color bed coating isn't sticking too well, so I may be taking it all off, and putting something else down, or maybe etch prime the parts that need the bed coating. Oh well, it's still gonna be one sweet rig when finished.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am