Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

2 posters

hey Dave! I figured out what to do with that SC!

Kaptn' Obvious
    Kaptn' Obvious

hey Dave! I figured out what to do with that SC! Empty hey Dave! I figured out what to do with that SC!

Post  Kaptn' Obvious Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:23 am

I'm driving home from work, wishing I hag a truck and POOF! Instant brain fart!

Here's the concept:

Chop the top at the B pillar & then graft a cougar rear window to it. Slice the deck lid and convert it into a tailgate. Then box it in and turn it into a semi-modern day thunder-cougar-ranchero.

I think it would be fairly easy. The Cougie and Tbird are both on the MN12 chassis. I'd bet dragging the rear window forward a foot or so would be a snap given the uniform contour of the roof line.

If you don't do it I will as soon as I get enough room to...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

hey Dave! I figured out what to do with that SC! Empty Whoops!!!

Post  Darkside Dave Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:17 pm

Hey Kapt'n,
    Sorry I missed this one. I look every day several times but sometimes I miss one of these things. I get with you on the phone and explain what the fate of the SC is. It has already been decided. There is no doubt about though, you have a great idea there that I'm pretty sure that no one else has done.

Later Man...

Kaptn' Obvious
    Kaptn' Obvious

hey Dave! I figured out what to do with that SC! Empty Re: hey Dave! I figured out what to do with that SC!

Post  Kaptn' Obvious Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:47 am

If I win the lottery or maybe in a few years when I get a proper shop I'll see if I can make it happen. I would never disgrace Miss Scarlett with this project. After spending 6 years with her it's blatantly obvious the car is a lady. Ok, a pissed off bull dyke... But I would never do that to her.

Translation: I don't have the stomach to cut up my faithful beast of burden, yet I have not problem tearing into fresh meat. When I'm set up to do it.

It wouldn't be a real truck, but it would be one nice head turning parts runner.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

hey Dave! I figured out what to do with that SC! Empty Re: hey Dave! I figured out what to do with that SC!

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:16 am

Kaptn' Obvious wrote:If I win the lottery or maybe in a few years when I get a proper shop I'll see if I can make it happen. I would never disgrace Miss Scarlett with this project. After spending 6 years with her it's blatantly obvious the car is a lady. Ok, a pissed off bull dyke... But I would never do that to her.

Translation: I don't have the stomach to cut up my faithful beast of burden, yet I have not problem tearing into fresh meat. When I'm set up to do it.

It wouldn't be a real truck, but it would be one nice head turning parts runner.

I understand... Actually your idea is a great one and if I were 45 instead of 65 I would be really considering doing that. The reality is that I be lucky to live long enough to do my two '53s. My whole adult life I have been building stuff for other people and never actually did a whole project myself except for a '67 Ford Galaxy 500 2DHT I restored from a backyard junker. My wife drove that car for 6 years. It was nice but it wasn't really about me. My '53s have a lot of special meaning to me even though I have no idea of their specific origins. Aside from the fact that the '53-'56 pick up is one of my favorite designs second only to the '40, there are other reasons. The '53 is the 50th. anniversary of Ford. I also have a 2003 F-350 diesel dually 4WD crew cab that has all the available options on it. It is the 100th. anniversary year. Originally I was going to go rather retro with a 351W I have but out of the blue the SC fell into my hands. Putting the supercharged 3.8L into this truck won't make it the fastest thing around but it will keep up with the pack and it won't be embarrassing me at the traffic lights. What it will be is a unique one of a kind thing. With me it's a combination of doing something unique, doing it really cheap and above all, making it me.

I love the Birds... Like I said, we had two of them we bought new. Unfortunately though, unless you do something really wild and unique, they are just another car. Beyond that, I'm really a truck guy at heart.

One other thing, as for being a real truck, not very many of them are nowadays except for the Super Duty trucks. For the most part what is out there are just cars with open beds.

Later Man...
    Kaptn' Obvious
    Kaptn' Obvious

Post  Kaptn' Obvious Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:36 am

It's a neat concept and I hope to pull it off some day soon.

I've never been one to keep a budget in mind. When I take on a project I want it done right. When it's finished it's done. project Bertha is a example of that. It took a couple of hours to get it running. The more we dug into it the more work we found. We're not after a show truck, just a dependable weekend warrior. If the money isn't there, the truck waits for the $$$

Half ass and can't afford to do it right is a pet peeve. I'm blue collar and stay budget minded. At the end of the day it had better be money well spent...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:37 am

Kaptn' Obvious wrote:
    I've never been one to keep a budget in mind.

I'm blue collar and stay budget minded. At the end of the day it had better be money well spent...

OK, now I'm confused... In the above quoted parts of your post you seem to contradict yourself so I'm not sure how to respond. All i can do is state my position on this matter.

I guess the best way I can describe my position is to say that if I had enough disposable funding I would most likely be inclined to spend more and care less about what stuff costs. Unfortunately, that ain't the case. As I have pointed out before many times, at this point in life it's about enjoying the rest of my life as much as possible. In order to do that I have devised a plan by which I can get the most bang for my diminished buck and still enjoy life. That is why I don't spend a lot of money on project vehicles and parts. I find used stuff and donor vehicles. My self imposed rule of never paying more that $500.00 for a project or donor vehicle has become a bit of a game of challenge. If you look long enough and hard enough you can find stuff for those kind of prices even here in the rust belt. The thrill of the hunt and the acquisition is as much a part of the fun as the build. The ultimate rush for me is actually having followed all those previously mentioned guidelines and still turning out something very unique. I guess the best way to describe my way of doing things is to go to https://darksidersrealm.forumotion.com/custom-home-built-f23/behold-the-work-of-a-twisted-mind-t16.htm and take a look at the Scoobygator. With exception of about $600.00 worth of steel and $450.00 for the tires, $300.00 for that damned Weber carburetor, plus another $400.00 in new parts and misc. stuff, the rest of it came from dump scratching and dumpster diving. I also saved a lot by doing everything myself I had fun building it and people are totally amazed that I could build it from scratch. Now I am about to do that again with my bastard '53. When I get done I doubt that I will have more than $3,000.00 in it. That is because I have been able to buy whole donor vehicles cheap, harvest what I need from them and sell off the remaining parts for more than I paid for the donors.

In a way, this kind of thinking is a big part of what this board is all about. I don't expect anybody to do and think as I do but I do like to interact with folks who do. I guess it's a lot like when I go to car shows. It's nice to look at the megabuck projects but I am always more impressed by the little guy that does so much with very little money invested and a lot of ingenuity. So far as I'm concerned, throwing a lot of money at something and doing what basically amounts to catalog engineering is not all that impressive.

Later Man...
    Kaptn' Obvious
    Kaptn' Obvious

Post  Kaptn' Obvious Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:28 am

Sorry to confuse you. I'm careful about my spending & I always shop for deals. I'm not afraid to fork over the dough when it has to work. When I buy tools, I want good tools I can count on. When I buy car parts I want to buy parts I don't have to worry about for a long time.

I'm careful how I spend my money, but If I fork over the extra change I want to know that it's a quality product. Same as buying cars. We're on the same page, trust me.

I'm not quite sure how we got here from project. My philosophy is take the time effort and if money to make sure that that issue is taken care of. If I need something, but can't find what I need or it's not in the budget I'll work with what I have. I'm still a working stiff though. When it comes to fix vs replace it depends on the project and the amount of time involved.

It's that philosophy that kept me single for the past 5 years. (no complaints)

Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:43 am