Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

5 posters

"Hey Look @ THE OLD NEW GUY"

Grumpyoldman
    Grumpyoldman
    Admin

"Hey Look @ THE OLD NEW GUY" Empty "Hey Look @ THE OLD NEW GUY"

Post  Grumpyoldman Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:15 pm

Hello All,

I guess I'll start at the beginning. It was a cold night in September 1955 when my parent got together and did the Horizontal Tango and then...Wait a minute to far back..

My name is George & I'm here to ask a lot of questions and to gain the knowledge to help my 22 year old son build a 29 Plymouth project. Here's what I know about the car,It came from Ft.Myers area of Florida about 17 years ago or so...The fellow I purchased it from said it was running when he got it but it sat for 14 years in his garage untouched, except for him stealing parts from it because he has another 29 Plymouth that he pulls out in the summer to go to car show around our area.

The engine hasn't run since the early 90's. But today it PURRS like an old cat with a pacemaker.It runs & drives slowly but drives. My son can't make up his mind if he wants to build it as a hot rod, rat rod or let it become a lawn ornament.

I have a complete drive train from a 50 Plymouth lined up for it, its a Flathead 6 w/ trannie, drive shaft and rear-end for $300.bucks...He keeps leaning toward building an Ol'skool Hot Rod from the 50's. He plans on leaving the writing on the car be cause it has history As a moving billboard. The company that once had this car can't figure out how one of there cars got away from the herd! Here the link to the company that had this car:

http://www.trulynolen.com/Corporate/mouse_car.asp

George (aka....Grumpyoldman)

"Hey Look @ THE OLD NEW GUY" TruelyNolan
    "Hey Look @ THE OLD NEW GUY" PIC_0106
    "Hey Look @ THE OLD NEW GUY" PIC_0100
    charger
    charger

"Hey Look @ THE OLD NEW GUY" Empty Re: "Hey Look @ THE OLD NEW GUY"

Post  charger Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:36 pm

welcome!!! don`t know if i would hot rod that car,looks pretty complete and in too good of shape!
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

"Hey Look @ THE OLD NEW GUY" Empty WOW !!!

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:54 pm

Hi George,

I kind of have to go along with charger on that one. As much as I like being the modifier that I am, I do realize the value of some things as restorable. I think if I went any direction on that one other than a restore, it would to be to keep the appearance as stock as possible and go for modernizing the drive train and chassis to meet today's standards for comfort and safety. However, that said, I realize the impetuous nature of being a young fellow. Although the picture you posted makes it look pretty good, it could be I'm seeing something that is just covered up with a lot of shiny paint, therefore you may not be inclined to go through the long painstaking process of a complete original restore. If not I would probably sign up for one of the following options in the degrading order they are presented. If not good enough for a authentic resotration then I would seek one of the following options in this order: Restomod, street rod, sell as is and finally rat rod.

But that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

Anyway, welcome to the Darkside.

Later Man...

tomget
    tomget

"Hey Look @ THE OLD NEW GUY" Empty 29Plymouth

Post  tomget Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:28 pm

Welcome George

Its nice to you have you on the forum. I see all the great links you've been posting on frame swaps/chopped top etc. I can never get too much help from those who have "have already been there". I like to hear their stories and suggestions. Always helpful. Good luck with the 29 Plymounth. I don't think I've ever seen one. At least no one pointed it out to me etc.
    I think you'll like the 50mopar flathead etc. I once had--famous sound of regret- a really cool OEM Dodge pickup. It was back in the mid 70's(as old and grumpy as you are--I'm even older). I forget the year -maybe a 1950 or thereabouts. It was a halfton with the flathead 6 and "a fluiddrive tranny". I remember it had the "job rated" grill insert. It worked great. I still don't know exactly how that thing worked--I'm not a mechanic. But it had a column 3 speed shifter and clutch, but if you wanted you could just leave it in gear when you stopped and started and it would act like an automatic etc. Wild! I don't think I used that feature--but it did it with no special anything. It was cool. I did some nice cosmetics on it, but never touched the drivetrain and used it daily for years, and once even drove it up into the Sierras above Tahoe to get my then girlfriends broken down Honda. We'd driven to Tahoe in the "better car". So we had to rent a van/car trailer combo and haul it back home, and then I loaded the old Dodge on the trailer and returned rental and then we just continued on our vacation in the Dodge. It always worked. It never complained. It was a great truck. I sold it and bought a Volvo!!! That must have been one of those insane times when i thought i needed "something better". Big mistake. Goodluck here. Glad to have ya and good luck with your sedan.

Tom
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:29 pm

Hey Tom,
    they did that by putting a clutch on the backside of a torque converter. That tranny actually had four speeds and it electrically shifted gears in the low and and high ranges which were in the second and third gear position on the tree.

Later Man...

Dave
    tomget
    tomget

"Hey Look @ THE OLD NEW GUY" Empty fluiddrive

Post  tomget Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:31 pm

Hey Dave

Thanks for the info on the tranny. I never really investigated it--that was pre Google. Things were harder to research. But I knew it was something along the lines you mentioned. It always worked flawlessly and never gave me any trouble whatsover. And like all young guys--or most of us anyways--I hardly did any maintenace on it. It suffered neglect, but always kept working. I was lucky and it was well engineered.

Tom
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:02 pm

tomget wrote:Hey Dave

Thanks for the info on the tranny. I never really investigated it--that was pre Google. Things were harder to research. But I knew it was something along the lines you mentioned. It always worked flawlessly and never gave me any trouble whatsover. And like all young guys--or most of us anyways--I hardly did any maintenace on it. It suffered neglect, but always kept working. I was lucky and it was well engineered.

Tom

I guess I'm showing my age. What was really odd is that if you knew how to do it you could get two speeds in reverse out of those old trannys. Of course I doubt that anyone would ever need that feature. If I remember right those were officially designated as an M5 or M6... I'm not sure which so I will have to try and look it up.

Later Man...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:24 pm

I was right both ways. Check these links out"

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/m6.html

http://forums.aaca.org/f145/46-48-chrysler-windsor-transmission-264469.html

Hey, I still got it boys!!! Now, if I can just figure out what to do with it...

Later Guys...

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:35 pm

Here's more...

Gyro-Matic semiautomatic transmission became optional. This was an important sales point at a time when people were tiring of manual shifting. Fluid Drive with Gyro-Matic was a complex solution to a simple problem, combining a conventional clutch with a fluid coupling that multiplied torque like a torque converter; electrical shift circuits added to what one writer called a "full range of potential transmission trouble." The coupling performed the usual flywheel functions of storing energy, smoothing power impulses, and meshing the ring gear with the starter pinion.

Lacking a clutch-plate contact, a clutch was mounted in tandem. The fluid coupling was a drum filled with low-viscosity mineral oil. Running the engine rotated a set of vanes attached to the inner face that threw oil outward onto a facing runner with another set of vanes. The oil turned the runner to provide a smooth flow of power while avoiding any metal-to-metal contact.

Fluid Drive had two gear positions: Low, governing first and second gears, High for third and fourth. Low was mainly for fast starts or towing. In most other driving you simply shifted into High and pressed the accelerator, then let up at 14 mph, when a "thump" announced the shift from third to fourth. Stops and starts required no clutching or shifting, hence Chrysler's claim that Fluid Drive Gyro-Matic eliminated 95 percent of all shift motions. The clutch was there, but was used only to change between Low and High or to back up.

mafiafran

Post  mafiafran Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:34 am

welcome!!!

Link Building
    keyword research

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:35 pm