Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

2 posters

Restored Equipment...

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Restored Equipment... Empty Restored Equipment...

Post  Darkside Dave Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:16 am

[b]
    H Folks,
    I thought maybe you folks might like to look at some equipmet I have restored. This is somewhat of a retirement side business I have going. You can click on http://www.pvpmedia.com/rw.htm to see some of my work or else you can go to http://www.wfmservice.com/ and check out my little side business.

Later Folks...

Ed Systems
    Ed Systems

Restored Equipment... Empty Re: Restored Equipment...

Post  Ed Systems Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:14 pm

G'day Dave!.

I love how those engine driven welders came up!. how goes the car projects and things in general?
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:10 am

[b]
    Hi Ed,
    I was just thinking about you and wondering what you were up to lately. I was thinking it was time to send you an e-mail but I have to look and see if your address is still in my address book. I switched to Outlook from Outlook Express when I went to Windows 7 and I lost a lot in the transfer. Outlook express is no longer supported and there is no good way to transfer all that stuff from one to the other. I do believe your e-mail address is in your profile here on the Darkside though.

Thanks for the kind words about the old welding machines. I was really happy with how those machines turned out and they both worked really well. However, I don't think I would want to do one again as the replacement parts are way too expensive as well as hard to get and those machines are a real pain in the ass to work on. As for cars and trucks, my '53 F-100 project is still in about the same stage as is shown on my build thread here in the PICKUP TRUCKS category. I have been looking at a '55 Studebaker Commander 2 door sedan a fellow has for sale locally. It's in pretty decent shape but I don't know for sure if I want to take it on. The problem may eliminate itself though because by the time I decide to buy it, he will probably have sold it.

Right now I am in the process of finishing up an old air compressor I bought with no motor. It belonged to a fellow member of our car club. It was old and it had a bad motor. I bought it for $125.00 because it had a nice big tank and a big old two stage cast iron pump on it. It looked pretty sad when I brought it here. I now have the tank stripped and painted as well as the pump reworked and painted. It originally had a big old induction-repulsion type 2HP motor on it about the size of a present day 15HP motor. I have replaced it with a 3450 RPM 7.5 HP three phase motor with a static converter on it. I can get 5HP out of it and with a simple removal of a relay it can be run on three phase and get the full 7.5 HP out of it. I really doubt if the motor will ever be taxed for more than 3HP at the most. These single stage compressors with the so-called 5, 6 & 7 HP motors you see sold at so many of the building and farm supply outlets are not really putting out that much HP. They can produce that kind of HP only for a short duration while starting. If you put a clamp-on amp meter on them and do the math you will be surprised to see how little HP is actually being used after starting. I might be able to get this thing running on Sunday and when I do I will record the performance and load stats. When it is finished I'll post project pictures and the stats here on this forum.

The air compressor is just one thing that has held me up on my truck. I recently finished a three months project for our car club that had both sides of my shop occupied while my truck project sat outside wrapped in tarps. It's a giant jukebox we use at our car shows and cruise-ins. You can go to our club website and see the whole construction process by clicking on http://www.therollinoldies.org/ or you can go to the webpage we use to promote the jukebox by clicking on http://www.ROgiantJB.info . Later today I have to go pick it up from a local shop that does custom interior trim and upholstery work. They have made a traveling cover for it much like the mooring covers used on boats. I will be adding more pictures on the webpages for it when I get it back. Everyone who has seen this thing thinks it's really cool and we have had some unexpected success with it by booking it for other organization functions. So long as it is an attraction for the club and it makes enough money to cover the cost of transport and storage we are happy with it. The cost for the materials was covered by donations from local businesses. I am thinking about featuring it here on the Darkside. I will say this, it was a bit like the welder projects. I will not be building another one.

OK, I think that brings me up to date here. Good hearing from you...

Later Man...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content