Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

3 posters

Restored compressor...

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Restored compressor... Empty Restored compressor...

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:09 pm

Hi Folks,

Here are some before and after pictures of an old service station air compressor I restored. It is around 55 to 60 years old. It belonged to a friend who used it until the motor went bad and decided to get a new compressor. It was poorly maintained and kept outside. My reason for restoring it was because it had a two stage pump and a nice big heavy walled tank. He said it was a two HP motor on it but that seems a bit small for this compressor. I replaced that with a NOS 7.5 HP three phase motor. I also added a built on converter so it could be run on three phase or single phase power. Other additions are a good large water seperator with regulator and an adapter I machined to put a small air filter on the intake. The pump and tank are the only old stuff left from the original compressor. I even tore down the pump and fixed the valves in it. My buddy koth, also a member here on this baord, needed to paint his project car that is in a build thread here on this board. I hauled this compressor over to his shop and told him to keep it as long as he needed it. I figured that was as good as any way to check out my work. I intend to sell it but I'll not advertise it until he is through with it or if he wants to buy it. He did report that it would pump up and shut of during constant use so I'm pretty happy with that.

Here is what I started with...

Restored compressor... OldAC-1

Restored compressor... OldAC-2

Restored compressor... OldAC-3

Restored compressor... OldAC-4

Restored compressor... OldAC-5

Here is what it looks like now. I still need to build a belt guard for it

Restored compressor... AC-1

Restored compressor... AC-2

Restored compressor... AC-3

Last edited by Darkside Dave on Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
    DL BOGART
    DL BOGART

Restored compressor... Empty reman comp

Post  DL BOGART Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:23 pm

600 bucks for that looks like a bargain to me, my 6 hp single stage vertical was that much in '96 and it's an el-cheepo, and the air dryer is the same as one I added on later upping the ante. Looks like Koth best just hang on to it. I would love to have a compressor that can out work me. mine run pretty much constantly when I'm actually doing something.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Restored compressor... Empty Re: Restored compressor...

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:59 pm

DL BOGART wrote:600 bucks for that looks like a bargain to me, my 6 hp single stage vertical was that much in '96 and it's an el-cheepo, and the air dryer is the same as one I added on later upping the ante. Looks like Koth best just hang on to it. I would love to have a compressor that can out work me. mine run pretty much constantly when I'm actually doing something.

Even though this is a 7.5 HP motor it only turns out about 5 HP with the 3P conversion. Of course what most people don't know about the cheaper compressors that Lowes, Home Depot and Tractor Supply sell is that the motor is only rated for limited duty at that HP. It is mainly used for starting. They can't continuously produce that kind of HP. I do think it's a good deal at $600.00 but most people will say that it's a restore and not new, so it may be hard to get the $600.00 I have about $300.00 in it plus labor and the motor and converter parts I already had laying around the shop. If you added that stuff to the cost it would probably be more like $500.00 invested. But hey, That's my life, buy high and sell low.

Later Man...
    jerryj
    jerryj

Post  jerryj Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:38 pm

That looks great Dave!
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:21 am

jerryj wrote:That looks great Dave!

Thanks Jerry... Believe it or not, the compressor sold before I got a chance to advertise it. My neighbor koth said it performed well while he was using it.

Later Man...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:29 am