Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

+10
tomget
scrapheap51
DL BOGART
stevof1
55f350
58 ford
carnut122
FRANKENTRUCK
charger
Darkside Dave
14 posters

First '53 Build Thread

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: First '53 Build Thread

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:21 pm

Well, you may not have to do that. My plasma cutter crapped out on me today. It's still under warranty. I have to say that buying that thing was a mistake. It's a Thermal Dynamics and has a four year warranty. This is the second time I have had it crap out on me. I now wish I had bought a Lincoln instead. The last place that worked on it said there was nothing wrong with it and charged me $65.00. So much for factory authorized repairs... This time I am going to call the company and have them tel me where I can take as opposed to having a dealer send it in.

I did manage to get most of the stuff cut away on the firewall and upper cowling. They're rough cuts and they will have to be trimmed and new pieces will have to be made to put the parts of the Explorer and the '53 together. I will post more pictures when I get the practice cab set in place on the Explorer floor pan and firewall. The trick is going to begetting the old to blend with the new. Imagine if you will, the old windshield wipers and linkage working with a modern motor, yet keeping most of the Explorer fire wall and all the heat and A/C systems of the Explorer. Hopefully I'll have something done and some pictures posted by the end of the week.

Later Folks...

Last edited by Darkside Dave on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:57 am

55f350 wrote:i geuss i canput that voodoo doll of your plasma cutter and welders away now ................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!

Well, you could have just asked me to slow down you know... It would have been a hell of a lot cheaper. Can you just undo your Voodoo shit and I will promise to go slower? It's about to happen anyway as soon as the parts arrive for the paying job that's in the shop right now. That will probably put the stops to things on the truck for a week or two at least.

Later Man...
    FRANKENTRUCK
    FRANKENTRUCK
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 Empty Thats Dad for you

Post  FRANKENTRUCK Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:30 pm

Thats Dad for you, always maxing out the equipment
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:33 am

FRANKENTRUCK wrote:Thats Dad for you, always maxing out the equipment

Thanks Son,
    It's times like this that make me proud of you. You are not the least bit hesitant to take a shot at the old man...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 Empty Will it Fit ???

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:33 pm

In my dreams....

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 SC 3.8L
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 Empty Maybe some good news...

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:59 pm

I did some more measuring in the SC today and just maybe the shifter on the SC tranny will fit up through the the hole provided for it in the Explorer tranny hump. It really depends on motor mount position as well but that may be something I can change. Of course now it remains to be seen if there is a way to get a transfer case on it.

In other news, I just got off the phone with Thermal Dynamics and they are sending a complete new circuit board for the inside of the plasma cutter including free shipping and a label to send it back with. I have to do the work but that beats driving a hundred miles to take it to a service center and then waiting to get it back which means a total of 400 miles and a minimum of a week's wait. Maybe my first judgment was a little harsh on Thermal Dynamics... Now, if I can just keep Kevin from dragging out those voodoo dolls of my equipment...

Later Folks...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 Empty I think this is what I need to know...

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:31 pm

Back Again....
    I found these pictures which pretty much explain the differences.

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 M5r2-SC
    This is the SC version

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 M5r2_2wd_mazda_transmission
    The 2WD version

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 M5r2_4wd_mazda_transmission
    The 4WD version...

And it looks to me as though the top loader and the transfer case from the 4WD version will fit the SC 2WD version. Unless I'm really missing something here, that should be all there is to this. Now I need to look for the right Ford F-150s in the bone yards.

Thanks guys, you helped me get here.

Later...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:09 pm

55f350 wrote:see sometimes i knowz whatz i'm babbling on about dave ........... it's a little difficult sometimes due to the incoherent way in which it escapes from my mind , but .............. should be a drop in and away you go !!!!!!!!!!

I found a complete rebuilt with transfer case for $700.00. Now I need to generate some cash. I just put the 351 with the big truck tranny and transfer case up for sale for $750.00 Maybe it will sell...

Later Man...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 Empty On with the quest...

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:21 am

Hi Folks,
    Still planning and plotting here to get that tranny and transfer case I found on Craigslist. I also found a set of 3.8 headers that were for a Mustang. I'm thinkin' that they will work OK if they will fit both the super charged and regular version of the 3.8L. As for the exit angle and all that I am not worried because I can cut and TIG them to fit before I bead blast and ceramic coat them.

The outside weather here is now getting back to prime working conditions outside where I am cutting and fitting the cab to the firewall and floor section of the Explorer. Unfortunately today i have to go out on a paying job and that will kill the day. I still need to get the plasma cutter back in service but the new board Thermal Dynamics is sending has not arrived yet. That will take at least an entire morning because there are about fifty connections to make on that thing. It doesn't just plug in.

Kevin,
    If you are further interested in the SC tranny it would probably be a good idea to move that talk over here because as you know, the FTE board Nazis are really anal when you talk trades or sales in the forums. Over here I don't care about it. Really I don't see why they care. It's probably just a control freak thing. Most likely they are hen pecked and need the control thing to vent their frustration. I find it's just easier to avoid that shit by doing what we want over here.

OK, that's all I have for now. Maybe I'll find something to add later.

Later Folks...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Tue May 04, 2010 10:54 am

Yeah, I got a set of headers coming and it will be at least 2" pipes off of them going back to a rear turbocharger to pump air into the supercharger up front. Since it has an intercooler I might as well make use of it to cool the TC output. Mounting TC's to the rear makes for a lot less heat to dissipate.

I have to look for a hood and some back fenders. the hood is the most important. It doesn't have to be perfect so long as it's repairable. I have all the hinges, braces and latches.

Later Man...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 Empty OK, OK, OK....

Post  Darkside Dave Thu May 06, 2010 10:42 am

I guess I better come clean here... I took a real verbal beating for my Turbocharger idea from several people I know. I got the whole burnt piston / toasted valve scenario from them. I still don't think they had any real idea what I was looking for. They had a picture in their head of all out max boost and I was actually thinking of just a slight mark above positive pressure going into the system which would probably be over come by the volumetric demand on the system when any real degree of RPM was churned up. I was really thinking of just keeping the input air to the SC just above a zero and no vacuum by using a preset blow off valve to regulate input pressure. I have since decided to rethink this as I believe it might be possible to do what I want with some kind of high volume electrically powered blowers. I may try some experiments with an old leaf blower and some very fast and powerful 12 VDC motors I have. It would be interesting to see if it is possible to produce enough volume to bring the intake up to a slightly positive pressure. I'm going to have to do some calculations to determine needed CFM. If this sort of system is possible to make it would be an on demand thing that would not always need to be used. Anyone got a junk leaf blower they don't want???

Now, back to the present... Still waiting on the plasma cutter but I see some other problems on the project. While slowly cutting away parts of the practice cab and the Explorer fire wall section I see several problems. One is a matter of cutting away more than I had anticipated on the cab's front cowling. That I think I can deal with, but it's going to take a lot more sheet metal fabrication than I had thought. The other is the matter of getting the old style windshield wiper integrated with the newer stuff. It's a real linkage problem. So far the best idea I have been able to come up with is a dual acting master and slave cylinder system driven by crank on the Explorer wiper motor in it's original location. I need a couple of very small double acting cylinders with a 4 to 5 inch stroke and a very small bore of .5 to .75 inch.

I'm still looking around to come up with some sort of a custom grille and lighting arrangement to fill in that big gaping hole in front. I do not like the '53 grille. I do like the '54 and '55 but I'd want chrome and there ain't no way I'm going for $450.00 plus for that. I still need some rear fenders and a hood. I don't mind rough stuff as long as it is repairable.

OK, that's pretty much it for now. Maybe I will have more to report next week after I get the plasma cutter back.

Later Folks...
    charger
    charger

Post  charger Fri May 07, 2010 10:58 am

here`s a website, my brother in law`s shop, they run FJO systems in their turbo cars http://www.wallsrodcustom.com/
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 Empty FJ What ???

Post  Darkside Dave Fri May 07, 2010 1:29 pm

I don't have the slightest idea what FJO is but it sounds cool...

As I stated previously, there seems to be a big misunderstanding in what I am interested in doing. My main goal was to eliminate the negative atmospheric pressure in the air intake path to the SC. It was not my goal to induce massive boost to the SC as everyone seems to think. There is no real need for turbocharging in the classic sense. The idea of using a TC to create the positive pressure was only toyed with because the exhaust was there and you can get TC's cheap online. The problem I see is that there is an intercooler between the air intake and the supercharger which is likely to not work all that well if the air density is diminished by a partial vacuum. Since there is inherent flow resistance from the best of filters I wanted to eliminate that. The intercooler would be better described as a pre-cooler. It also has no fan and effectively serves no real purpose at lower speeds or from a dead start. I was not joking when I said that I would consider experimenting with electric blowers even if they were employed on a demand sensing system. I am also thinking of installing a small evaporative coil in front of the cooler that runs from the AC system and adding a fan to move the cooled air through the cooler.. these are just ideas to experiment with. If you never try you never know....

Later Man...

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 Empty And that ain't all...

Post  Darkside Dave Sat May 08, 2010 11:04 am

Darkside Dave wrote:
    These are just ideas to experiment with. If you never try you never know....

Later Man...

FURTHERMORE...

Going back and looking at my last post and especially the last line, I was reminded of one of my major peeves. I have a real problem with people who say I can't do something and/or it won't work. Yet 99% of these people have never actually tried or done something. Most of them get their so-called expert opinion from something they read or heard from someone else. I'm not saying that it is a bad idea to read and learn as much as you can from many different sources. What I am saying is first and foremost, consider and qualify the source. I love using the old giant killer... "Have you ever done this or do you have direct knowledge of a case where someone else has???" That is usually when the BS begins. "Well, I read..." "I heard that..." "According to..." The list goes on and on...

Here's the bottom line. Doing stuff that has not been done or tried before and learning from it is what the Darkside is all about. Negativity has no place here on the Darkside. Please understand, there is a big difference in saying something can't be done and pointing out why there is or might be a problem.

Later Folks...
    charger
    charger

Post  charger Mon May 10, 2010 3:58 pm

it can`t be done! Very Happy just kidding! fjo is a complete fuel injection system that you can have plugged into your existing sensor,injectors ect, it has self tune capability controls waste gates ect, pretty cool system, big$$$, o.k going back to what your talking about, you want to put a blower in between the air filter and the turbo correct? this would help a lot,think of the turbo drag cars there`s a reason they have their turbo up front non filtered (hole through their headlight ect.) ram air for the turbo! burn down your engine shouldn`t happen, exhaust gas is constantly monitored through egt sensor and if i remember correctly this car has a electric wastegate, if the engine would run too mutch boost detonation would occur excessive heat ect, the waste gate would open up
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Tue May 11, 2010 7:00 pm

charger wrote:it can`t be done! Very Happy just kidding! fjo is a complete fuel injection system that you can have plugged into your existing sensor,injectors ect, it has self tune capability controls waste gates ect, pretty cool system, big$$$, o.k going back to what your talking about, you want to put a blower in between the air filter and the turbo correct? this would help a lot,think of the turbo drag cars there`s a reason they have their turbo up front non filtered (hole through their headlight ect.) ram air for the turbo! burn down your engine shouldn`t happen, exhaust gas is constantly monitored through egt sensor and if i remember correctly this car has a electric wastegate, if the engine would run too mutch boost detonation would occur excessive heat ect, the waste gate would open up

You have just provided an example of what I said. You know something about this and it is apparent that you have given it some thought beyond saying cool or it won't work. The point is you gave it some thought as opposed to just slamming a yes or no on the idea.

I'll have to check into the FJO stuff.

Yeah, you are right. The waste gate is actually a re-circulating bypass. My reason for wanting to eliminate the negative pressure, (vacuum), before the blower is because it causes the air to be less denser and harder to cool in the cooler. The colder and denser the air, the more boost the blower gets on the low end where it needs it the most. It's really just basic 9th. grade science, but try explaining that to the so-called experts.

Later Man...

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 Empty It's baaaaaack....

Post  Darkside Dave Thu May 13, 2010 4:34 pm

Hi Folks,

Work on the truck should resume shortly. I got the plasma cutter back today.

Later...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 Empty Plasma cuttin' again...

Post  Darkside Dave Sat May 15, 2010 9:09 pm

Hi Folks,

I thought it would take forever to get my Plasma cutter back from warranty repair but it was only a week. Now I'm back to cuttin' and fittin' again.

The red cab I am test cutting and fitting with is for practice as it is just too far gone to be good for anything else. Unfortunately I only have one floor pan and fire wall section so I have to be a bit more careful with it when I cut. It looks as though I'll be fabricating a lot of sheet metal parts. Here are some pictures of the process.

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 TestFit1

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 TestFit2

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 TestFit3

I decided to position a front fender in it's proper place. I was surprised to find that my ride will have a bit of a built in Slam. With the bottom edge of the fenders about 8" off the ground I don't need to slam it. I will have bigger tires so that may add an inch. At first I thought the center line of the front wheel was back a bit. However I measure my other '53, which is still stock, and it was in the same position.

The windshield wipers are going to be a real challenge. Using the Explorer firewall changes some things a lot. I will have to relocate the wiper cranks so they will have room to work. More fun...

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 SLAM1

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 SLAM2

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 DashFit1

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 DashFit2

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 DashFit3

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 DashFit4

Well, it's a good start but as I scope out the project I get the idea it's going to be a longer project that I thought it would. Of course that is just par for the course with me.

Later Folks...

Last edited by Darkside Dave on Wed May 26, 2010 8:49 am; edited 2 times in total
    charger
    charger

Post  charger Mon May 17, 2010 11:17 am

firewall looks like it blends right in!! bit of work in the rockers and it looks like it could be a easy swap! keep up the good work!!
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Mon May 17, 2010 6:54 pm

charger wrote:firewall looks like it blends right in!! bit of work in the rockers and it looks like it could be a easy swap! keep up the good work!!

Yeah I think it will work out but I have discovered that the side walls of the Explorer fire wall section are not symmetrical which means I don't have the same reference points to match the side cowlings of the old cab with. I was actually surprised to find the cab was wider than the Explorer so much that it actually sits outside the Explorer fire wall section. It has been raining here all day today and since this is outside I haven't been able to do a lot on it. I did go out a while ago after the rain stopped and looked at it for a while. I am going to have to make some sort of gauging fixture to sit in on the Explorer floor pan to establish proper levels and locations to star attaching the cab. I had to cut back the Explorer rockers which means I will have to form some new pieces on a brake. I still see this as being quite a long process.

There will be some work piecing in and fitting the Explorer fire wall into the cab. I have to maintain the fresh air intake plenum that runs across the front of the Explorer that also houses the wiper stuff. There is also going to be some work involved to accommodate the rain drains for that plenum. In addition to all the above, the wiper bases have to be moved out from the windshield because they are currently located right over the top of the inside part of the fire wall.

Later Man..
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 Empty Alingment Fixture...

Post  Darkside Dave Wed May 19, 2010 10:24 am

Hi Folks,

It rained off and on all day yesterday so I really didn't get much done outside on the cab. I did manage to get an Alignment Fixture made for the project. Several weeks ago I disassembled our old treadmill. We bought a new one and the wife wanted the old one gone. I salvaged the motor and the the screw jack that set the elevation. I also kept the steel frame work. That turned out to be useful. I cut it up and used the stock to build this simple fixture. It doesn't look like much but it does provide me with a stable reference to measure from when I start welding the good cab to the Explorer floor and fire wall section. The fixture fits tight into the indentation in the Explorer floor pan next to the rocker panel area on each side and is as far forward in that indentation as it will go. I can measure fore and aft as well as vertical. This way I can get everything in it's proper place before I do any welding.

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 AlgnFixture1
    Finished fixture

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 AlgnFixture2
    Fixture in place

It really doesn't look like much but it's going to be a big help. I may even use it twice because I have another '53 F-100 and I may end up using an Explorer for it if I can work out the details.

I have to work around the weather and other paying jobs in the shop. It turns out that I have had a few days to work on the truck because they sent me the wrong parts for the paying job I have here. I need to get that done though because I can always use the money and it is taking up space in the shop.

Later Folks...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 Empty It's almost time...

Post  Darkside Dave Wed May 19, 2010 6:09 pm

Hi Folks,

I didn't get a lot done today because part of the day I spent working on the paying job and after that I had to do a shop clean up. Then the rain was threatening and it did sprinkle a bit. In spite of all that I managed to make a record a lot of locating and positioning measurements. My big accomplishment for this afternoon was finally figuring out how to he the windshield wipers to function in this set up.

Tomorrow I have sandblasting work planned but it may be possible that I will have some afternoon time to get started on cutting the bad stuff out of my good cab as well as getting it braced. If not I should get it started Friday.

Later Folks...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 Empty Damn I'm sore !!!

Post  Darkside Dave Fri May 21, 2010 9:32 am

Hi Folks,
    I spent most of yesterday sandblasting and only two pieces were for my truck. The rest of the work was for two of my paying jobs. I absolutely hate sandblasting. I get that stuff in every nook and cranny my old body has. I use Black Diamond which is made from the black cinders from coal burning power plants. It works better than sand but it sure is messy. Yesterday I made plans to move the good cab into the shop on the 4' X 8' wheeled dolly I built. Now it looks as though the rain might hold that operation up. So, I don't know how soon I will be able get on cutting the good cab. I have most everything worked out now so it's time for the practice to end and the real work to begin.

Later Folks...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 2 Empty More progress...

Post  Darkside Dave Fri May 21, 2010 10:17 pm

Hi Folks,

I thought the weather was going to foul my plans for today but it didn't. It threatened several times with light sprinkles but no serious rain. I ow have the cab I'm going to use on the 4' X 8' dolly and in the shop. I even managed to get some work done on it I welded two braces in it to keep the door openings spaced right and I also removed the floor and the dash. I also have most of the fire wall cut out. Tomorrow I plan on finishing stripping out all the stuff that has to be removed and then grinding and smoothing out everything that needs it. Although I thought maybe the surface rust was a little severe I was able to easily remove the rust wit a lot of good metal left under it. The part I need is actually a lot better than I though it was. With any luck, by the end of tomorrow's work I should be able to post more pictures.

Later Folks...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Mon May 24, 2010 9:56 am

Still no new pictures... I have been doing some stuff on the project. Cutting away all the stuff from the good cab is a bit more tedious than hacking away at the practice cab. I will have to do some rebuilding on the lower front cab corners and lower door hinge pockets as the all pretty well gone. I have some paying work in the shop now and I need to get that stuff done or at least spend four hours a day on it. That is holding back progress on the truck. I think later today when the shade moves around to the space in front of the garage I will start to dismantle and cut up the practice cab. There are several pieces and sections in that thing I can cut out and use as patch pieces in the good cab.

So, maybe if I get off my ass and get to work I will get some stuff done and some pictures. It won't hurt my domestic status if I get that ugly practice cab cut up and out of site in the scrap pile. Unfortunately my scrap pile will probably be the next target the wife zooms in on. I don't like to haul that stuff away until I get the load big enough to make the trip worth while.

Later...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 7:33 am