Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

2 posters

My new baby, 48 ford coupe super delux

joelocke
    joelocke

ford - My new baby, 48 ford coupe super delux Empty My new baby, 48 ford coupe super delux

Post  joelocke Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:45 am

Hey everyone, I hope I'm posting this in the right area. I found this coupe under a carport with about 2 inches of dirt on it. made the guy an offer and after some arm twisting it ended up in my drive way. This is my second project, but the first that is as old as this. My intension is to modernize the chassis, but retain the original basic shape, (no chop). Obviously needs paint and interior. Since there are no pictures on the web, I can't post any for you, but the cars in good shape cuz its an arizona car (no rust) but cosmeticly its pretty trashed. Someone had put a Dodge motor and fashoned the Dodge front end into the original frame. It was pretty much a butcher job and they cut into the frame in several places to fit the power steering and tranny in. I read about putting an S10 frame under it. I had heard that guys were doing it with old pick-ups and it sounded cheaper and more straight forward than buying upgrades for all the components. I then would still have the cut up frame to deal with. After searching around on the web for parts, I found the H.A.M.B. network. I posted my intentions and got pretty well hammered for the sacrilage of swapping out the frame because that would not be traditional. They all tried to steer me towards "restoring" the vehicle as Henry Ford had originally made it.

Now I have a lot of respect for the guys who do restores, but I'm just not one of them. I found it kind of funny that the group that advocates front and rear clips and chops, but somehow the steel tubing between the front and rear suspension is sacred... Anyhow I have kind of moved to replacing the chassis with a 95-97 ford explorer frame. It looks like it would fit best with a few minor pan channels and can be had with a V-8

So there you go. I guess this makes me a darksider outlaw
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

ford - My new baby, 48 ford coupe super delux Empty Re: My new baby, 48 ford coupe super delux

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:27 pm

joelocke wrote:
    Now I have a lot of respect for the guys who do restores, but I'm just not one of them. I found it kind of funny that the group that advocates front and rear clips and chops, but somehow the steel tubing between the front and rear suspension is sacred... Anyhow I have kind of moved to replacing the chassis with a 95-97 ford explorer frame. It looks like it would fit best with a few minor pan channels and can be had with a V-8

So there you go. I guess this makes me a darksider outlaw

Hey Joe,
    First let me say welcome to our little corner of the web. Just remember, we're not crazy, the rest of them are. I love your idea for your car. If you look at my build thread, https://darksidersrealm.forumotion.com/t204-first-53-build-thread , you will see that I am working with an Explorer rolling chassis with my '53. I have found that there are an abundance of those Explorers out there. Most likely you are going with a 2WD for the car but a 4WD would be unique if you could work it out. I have videos in my thread about the chassis mods I did. One thing though, I strongly recommend you do not try to modify a 4WD chassis into a 2WD setup. There's a big difference.

Later Man...
    joelocke
    joelocke

ford - My new baby, 48 ford coupe super delux Empty Re: My new baby, 48 ford coupe super delux

Post  joelocke Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks for the positive comments. Yes, I'm going with a 2wd setup. I think that I would have trouble getting the front to sit as low as I want it too with w/ a 4wd. Because I want to use it as a daily driver, I like the idea of all modern equipment underneath. I've seen too many jalopys out there with their hood up.
    Joe
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:26 pm

joelocke wrote:Thanks for the positive comments. Yes, I'm going with a 2wd setup. I think that I would have trouble getting the front to sit as low as I want it too with w/ a 4wd. Because I want to use it as a daily driver, I like the idea of all modern equipment underneath. I've seen too many jalopys out there with their hood up.
    Joe

Actually I wasn't recommending a 4WD but it would sit at the same height as the same year 2WD. The only real problem is having wiggle room for an engine as the fixed differential in the chassis interferes. Some of them had the 302 V8 and unless you are planning on a earth shaking big block it might be good to look for one of them. My son has had two of the 2WD V8 Explorers. Up here getting one that is not rusted is a problem but down where you are they probably come sandblasted. If you get one with a 302 and you want a little more boost for the buck look for a Lincoln Mark VII from around 1990. They had the same High Output 302 as the Mustang GT of that era. I was going to go with something like that until I acquired the Supercharged T-Bird SC drive train. You might also want to look into reworking the rear suspension of the Explorer chassis because they are not that great. I was lucky to have the T-Bird and got the whole IRS but you can easily harvest a three link or four link that can be easily adapted to the existing rear Explorer axel, and set up on coil overs or straight coils or bags. Point being, there are lots of options for you. BTW, the 31 spline 8.8" rear which is in most Explorers is also a limited slip diff, is one tough rear end and will take about any thing you will throw at it. It probably it pretty near the right width for your '48 coup.

Later Man...
    joelocke
    joelocke

Post  joelocke Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:20 pm

Hmmm...Mark VII huh? Haddent thought of that. Much harder to come by here just because of the shear number of 4 door explorers. I plan to buy a wreck at auction. But now that I think of it, they might be as plentiful as explorers with V8's in them. Do you know how the chassis might compare to the 95-97 explorer chassis? I measured one in a parking lot once (my kids think I'm nuts) and the explorer seemed close enough to fabricate in. The rear kick-up would seem to be the kink, but the explorer has the same problem. The bed on a mark VII is pretty short though. Now you got me thinking. See...just when I think I have made the best choice I get a tip on what might work out better. If you know of a site that might have dimensions on frames I would be greatfull.
    Thanks!
    Joe
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:49 pm

joelocke wrote:Hmmm...Mark VII huh? Haddent thought of that. Much harder to come by here just because of the shear number of 4 door explorers. I plan to buy a wreck at auction. But now that I think of it, they might be as plentiful as explorers with V8's in them. Do you know how the chassis might compare to the 95-97 explorer chassis? I measured one in a parking lot once (my kids think I'm nuts) and the explorer seemed close enough to fabricate in. The rear kick-up would seem to be the kink, but the explorer has the same problem. The bed on a mark VII is pretty short though. Now you got me thinking. See...just when I think I have made the best choice I get a tip on what might work out better. If you know of a site that might have dimensions on frames I would be greatfull.
    Thanks!
    Joe

The Mark VII is a unibody with no frame. If you look at koth's rat rod build thread you can see how he built a frame and mounted the components from the suspension system. The Explorer chassis are pretty much identical from '95 to '99. Up here you very seldom ever see one with 2WD. I go to the Pull-A-Part yards a lot and they always seem to have an ample supply of Explorers. Someplace in my eight page build thread I have some shots of the bare rolling chassis. The 2WD and the 4WD are a lot alike except for the fixed front diff and the half shafts. Mine is a '99 believe it or not. We had a '95 sincde it was new and we just sold it but it was pretty much identical. The FTE board has an Explorer forum but there are forums dedicated strictly to Explorers. I'd do a Google search. I'm sure if you look hard enough on Google you will find the info. I'll take a look when I get a chance and see if I can help. Don't be too concerned with re-thinking things on a regular basis. I do it constantly. For me it's just part of the fun. If the build wasn't fun I'd never do it. I'd suggest chaneling the body for the frame or just fabbing a new rear floor section to match the frame. You can also kick the frame back down after the read axel. There are a lot of ways to go with this so don't be afraid to think out all the possibilities.

Later Man...

Dave

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:19 am