Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

4 posters

1954 F-100 Restoration

wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

1954 F-100 Restoration Empty 1954 F-100 Restoration

Post  wmjoe1953 Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:52 am

Well, I confirmed the deal today to restore the '54 from the ground up. This will be the official build thread. The truck should be arriving this week, but maybe as late as next weekend. The owner, and I will be taking a trip to Washington, to aquire the two parts trucks. Updates will be posted as often as possible, and I will try to photograph it from start to finish, every step of the way.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

1954 F-100 Restoration Empty Re: 1954 F-100 Restoration

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:21 pm

OK Joe, Go for it...

I just made this a sticky so it will be at the top with the rest of the threads.

Later Man...

wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:51 pm

Thanks Dave. Well, as I said, the truck should arrive by the end of the weekend, and will quickly be dismantled, and cataloged. The guy has enough money on hand to get well under way, and will be able to add to it financially over the course of the next several months. By going after the parts trucks, it will save a significant amount of time, and money, on body repair, so I'll be able to direct those saved funds elsewhere on the project. I'll also be given the go ahead to sell any, or all of the left over parts, to help fund the project. There is a time constraint on the build, and we hope to have it, at the least, 85%, or more, completed by the first half of August. It's an old Ford, so as log as the funds don't dry up, it's completely achievable. Here it is again, the first of the before photos, sitting on the trialer, when I went to inspect it two weekends ago.

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2307

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2335
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:15 am

Not too shabby Man...

It looks a lot better than my '53s. I admire your ability to snag a paying job like that. Out of curiosity, can you divulge what was paid for the truck? Does it have the floor rusted out? Is this a restore or a is it going to be modified? It looks a lot like the one Kiwiford has don in New Zealand. He's coming along with it nicely. Check out his build thread.

I'll be watching your build with interest.

Later Man...

wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:01 am

Darkside Dave wrote:
    Not too shabby Man...

It looks a lot better than my '53s. I admire your ability to snag a paying job like that. Out of curiosity, can you divulge what was paid for the truck? Does it have the floor rusted out? Is this a restore or a is it going to be modified? It looks a lot like the one Kiwiford has don in New Zealand. He's coming along with it nicely. Check out his build thread.

I'll be watching your build with interest.

Later Man...

Well, the parts trucks package was $1200. The restoration of the '54, the labor is being paid for in trade. He owns an insulation company (tough times on him too right now), and he has a '90 E-350 cube van, and I'll have the right to retain excess parts from the build, so it doesn't pay cash, which is ok. The '54 ha rot in the floor, and cab corners, and around the drip rail, which is why the cab is getting changed (for cost, and time savings). There's rust in the front hood, and the bed has a spot chopped out of the front panel (for a camper, or something). The truck will be completely stock, so it only qualifies entry into the darksider's realm, due to it's age, and the common interest by the powers that be...hahaha. No, it's a beautiful old truck, and the story, and completeness make it worth restoring. Just seeing the original documents, the dealer invoice, bank draft document, and other antique documents, got me real excided. I'll be posting photos like I did with the Falcon, and have time to update more regularly.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:31 am

wmjoe1953 wrote:
    Well, the parts trucks package was $1200. The restoration of the '54, the labor is being paid for in trade. He owns an insulation company (tough times on him too right now), and he has a '90 E-350 cube van, and I'll have the right to retain excess parts from the build, so it doesn't pay cash, which is ok. The '54 ha rot in the floor, and cab corners, and around the drip rail, which is why the cab is getting changed (for cost, and time savings). There's rust in the front hood, and the bed has a spot chopped out of the front panel (for a camper, or something). The truck will be completely stock, so it only qualifies entry into the darksider's realm, due to it's age, and the common interest by the powers that be...hahaha. No, it's a beautiful old truck, and the story, and completeness make it worth restoring. Just seeing the original documents, the dealer invoice, bank draft document, and other antique documents, got me real excided. I'll be posting photos like I did with the Falcon, and have time to update more regularly.

Hey, it's OK to feature pure restoration projects here... Besides, you have already proved your a Darksider. I don't get into purist type restoration for two reasons. the first being that I never had anything that was that good and second I'm a habitual modifier. Maybe there's a twelve step program for that... So, your saying the one in the picture is just a parts truck??? It looks pretty good to me.

So. are you getting the cube van in trade? I have a '93 long wheelbase E-350 with the heavy suspension package and a 7.3L diesel. I have been thinking about cutting the rear off and adding a box if I can find one. I've had it since it was new and it now has 256K on the clock. I still use it. I just put in the third set of batteries at a stiff $267.00. The originals lasted eight years and the second set lasted ten years. They made me a strong believer in Motorcraft batteries.

Keep us posted Man...
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:34 pm

Darkside Dave wrote:
    wmjoe1953 wrote:

Hey, it's OK to feature pure restoration projects here... Besides, you have already proved your a Darksider. I don't get into purist type restoration for two reasons. the first being that I never had anything that was that good and second I'm a habitual modifier. Maybe there's a twelve step program for that... So, your saying the one in the picture is just a parts truck??? It looks pretty good to me.

So. are you getting the cube van in trade? I have a '93 long wheelbase E-350 with the heavy suspension package and a 7.3L diesel. I have been thinking about cutting the rear off and adding a box if I can find one. I've had it since it was new and it now has 256K on the clock. I still use it. I just put in the third set of batteries at a stiff $267.00. The originals lasted eight years and the second set lasted ten years. They made me a strong believer in Motorcraft batteries.

Keep us posted Man...

It's all good. No, the blue one pictured is the restoration candidate. It suffers numerous extra vent holes throughout the lower part of the cab. It's goin stock, due to the family owned since new factor, and it has so much original documentation. It truly is a piece that could end up in a museum. The parts trucks, which I posted some photos in the other '54 thread, have not arrived yet, and will be used for fixing this one, and selling for added resto funds. The cube van is 7.3 non-turbo, dually job, and it isn't the u-haul type, where it's seperated from the cab, but the kind with the opening between the two. I'm sure I'll be able to use it, for some thing. I was going to get it up here when I get this project going, and make it a temporary sandblasting room, and then clean that out, and turn it into a paint booth, for later.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:43 pm

It's here. Unloaded yesterday. It's a beautiful old truck. This post will get updated often, and I will add a photobucket link to my signature soon.

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2358

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2377

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2362

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2369

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2382

wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:44 am

Well, I've had the truck for two days now, and have gotten it nearly disassembled. Yesterday morning, at around 11:00 a.m., it was a complete truck missing only a battery, and an air cleaner that was on the floor. Today, the nose, cab, running boards, and alot of other little things, are removed, and sitting in buckets, and boxes.

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2385

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2411

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2447

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2448
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:34 am

Hmmm,
    That all looks very familiar. So where are you starting? I'm guessing the chassis and/or drive train.

Later Man...
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:57 am

Yeah, I figured that since it's called a "ground-up restoration," I should probable tart at the bottom, and go up....hahahaha lol. I have a simple process, that works well. Start at one end, and go down the line, then start at the bottom, and work my way up.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:34 pm

Engine's out, and on the stand. Transmission's out, and on the floor. Clutch looks original, not cooked, broken, whatever, but used down to the rivets. Popped the valve covers, and the top looks good for its age.

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2462

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2464

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2463
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:33 am

Ah yes... The old Y-Block... Back in the days when they couldn't remember to put the damn distributor on the front end of the engine. In spite of my being a Ford guy I really think the Y-block left a lot to be desired. Thank goodness the FE was soon to come. Although it lacked the power, the flathead was a better and more reliable engine. The Y-Blocks were notorious for not providing enough lubrication to the rocker arm shafts. there was even an aftermarket kit to run an external oil line to them to fix the problem. Hopefully, since you are doing a restoration as opposed to a resto-mod, the guy won't be using it as everyday driver. if so I think he would be dissapointed. Like you say, it would make a great museum piece or a trailer queen. People who weren't brought up with these things and were used to all thier little short comings, are oftem dissapointed. they just don't have the mindset to contemplate the way these things handled and what it took to stop them. I have a friend here that has at least five or six restored '56s and he does not like to do the every day driver thing with any of them. Hew will be the first to tell you that they just aren't cut out for todays roads and the way the rest of the world drives. He lives about ten miles out of town and that is as far as he goes with them and then only to a car show or cruise-in. The rest of the time they get trailered. All that being said, I still think it's great that some that are good enough are getting restored. I would never resto-mod anything that was in really great shape. However, since I don't have any desire to own a trailer queen or museum piece, I would probably either do one up for someone else or sell it to someone who was going to do a restore. That's why I'm Darkside Dave I guess. I love the old styles and looks but I want today's comfort, convenience and performance. I intend to do the every day driver thing. Keep up the good work and your pace is so far amazing.

Later Man...
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:10 pm

Well, it's pretty much completely stripped. The bed is off, the front suspension is out, and the rear is coming out (as soon as I get the damned spring pins broke loose). The running board brackets are off, etc., etc. The engine is at the machine shop. Initial inspection was better than anticipated. The cylinders are good, and will be getting a hine, no overbore. The crank is nice, and the inards are in remarkably nice condition. The cam had some very light pitting on the lobes, that more resembled less than stellar process than actual damage. The cam is at a regrinders getting fixed, and reground to stock specs. So, the chassis has been scrubbed, and scraped, and is almost ready for a goo etching cleaner and paint.

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2498

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2497
    DL BOGART
    DL BOGART

1954 F-100 Restoration Empty Y block

Post  DL BOGART Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:51 am

Those can actually be built onto one helluva strong engine, I have a friend who has a 292 in a 1959 f100 4x4 which regularly out does 454s, 460s and some diesels at truck pulls, and it can do daily driver duty as well. The handling does leave a bit to be desired, but the engine has done quite well. He also built a '63 with a 292 for his daughter to drive as well, and it has lasted her 3 years of high school, one truck pull and work on the farm with no problems. I wouldn't hesitate to run one these if I had one of those trucks, but I like DD would upgrade the suspension brakes etc were it mine, but resto is great too, whatever the guy who owns the truck wants!
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:35 pm

Well, the truck is completely stripped, and the frame has been scraped, and brushed, and is ready for some rust kill stuff, and paint. I spent the weekend ordering chassis, suspension, and drivetrain parts. The engine should be done this week, and all the goodies should be here over the next several days. The cam bearings were the hardest thing to find, since apparently, the 54 is a one year only fit. Beyond that, the owner has decided, that he wants it as concours as possible, right down to all the correct mirrors, and trimmings, and paint, and everything else. He even wants the correct tags and stickers on the engine parts, like the starter and generator. Will get some more pics soon, I hope.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

1954 F-100 Restoration Empty UPDATES!!

Post  wmjoe1953 Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:35 pm

It's update time. Been BUSY, busy. It's pretty much ready for an engine....yeah!!!

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2683

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2686

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2692
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:00 am

And now, I have an engine about ready to go in..

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2725

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2722
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:01 am

I need to change the thermostat, and clean up that heater hose fitting, and change out the motor mount, and then install the distibutor, and I can set the motor. I can actually put it in first, and do all those, but I don't know, either way.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:08 am

Hi Joe,
    I have been watching your progress but I haven't had much time to respond to anyone's posts lately. I am very impressed with your rate of progress. Of course when you are doing the job for a client I know they expext you to get it donme as soon ass possible. It looks great.

Later Man...
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:28 am

Thanks Dave. I told this guy from the onset, that i would not be bound to a time frame, and he understood. I told him that as long as he kept the funds coming, I would continue working on it. The pace, actually, is because of how simple these old trucks are, and that work at the Ford dealer has been slow, and I'm bored. As soon as the temp comes up above the freezing mark (it's close now), I can go back out, and start on a few things.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:06 am

And this is todays progress. The distributor is just sitting in there, and the carb is just resting on the intake. I still need to rebuild the carb, and clean up the distributor.

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2726

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2727

1954 F-100 Restoration DSCF2729
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:06 am

Way to go Joe...

I can't wait to see you dive into the body work. Like I said before, you seem to be buzzing right through that thing. Maybe you need to start a rod and custom shop with restoring as a part of it.

Later Man...
    DL BOGART
    DL BOGART

1954 F-100 Restoration Empty progress!

Post  DL BOGART Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:32 pm

Looks great so far, but I wonder how that tiny transmission will handle the torque of that 292. I've been around a few that were plenty stout.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:59 pm

DL BOGART wrote:Looks great so far, but I wonder how that tiny transmission will handle the torque of that 292. I've been around a few that were plenty stout.

I'm a fraid, that it's not a 292. It's 239.4 cubic inches of 1954 Ford Y-block power. It is the original motor, and was rebuilt without having to overbore, or grind the cranck, so it is still a 239. Actually, these little 3 speed trannies are pretty stout. When I opened it up, the gears are all very heavy steel, and looked to be in excellent condition.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:02 am