Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

3 posters

Tig welding question?

Lowlid
    Lowlid

Tig welding question? Empty Tig welding question?

Post  Lowlid Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:47 pm

I bought a Miller Syncrowave 200 tig welder 2 years ago. I've never had any kind of training in tig welding but it seems to be very similar to gas welding except you're using electricity to create the heat.

The problem that I have run into is trying to weld in awkward positions. The control pedal is rather hard to operate laying on your back under the car. Does anyone have one of the fingertip controllers, or maybe used one?

Thanks

Andrew
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Tig welding question? Empty TIG control

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:04 pm

Andrew,
    I have a similar issue with my Lincoln TIG 225. I know that lincoln makes a fingertip control that mounts right on the torch so I assume that Miller does too. Go to their site which I think is www.millerwelds.com and see what thay have under accessories for your particular machine. Warning!!! If they are anything like Lincoln, and they usually are, expect to shell out several hundred for it. About the cheapest place I know to get Lincoln and Miller is Indiana Oxygen. Go to http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/servlet/StoreFront for their online store. They are cheap and there is no shipping cost.

Later Man...

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Tig welding question? Empty Re: Tig welding question?

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:48 pm

Lowlid
    Lowlid

Post  Lowlid Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:24 pm

Dave

Have you used one of these fingertip controllers? I really would like to know if they're the solution to my problems. It would be nice if all my welding could be done while sitting comfortably on my stool at a welding table. We both know that doesn't always happen.

Thanks for the legwork on price!!

Andrew
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:13 pm

Yes I have and they work in the same manner as the foot controller. The one I used was twenty years old but it worked OK and I would imagine now thatn they are even better. I'm getting one for my Lincoln TIG 225. Like you, I can't do the foot control laying on my side to get to a weld.

Later Man...

Darkside Dave
    autocrosser
    autocrosser

Post  autocrosser Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:57 am

Yes, the fingertip controller is the answer to your prayers. IMHO it is equivilent to an auto-darkening helmet towards getting better welds. The foot controller is best for someone who sits at a welding bench welding the same pieces over and over.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:03 pm

You got that right... I think the finger control should be the one that is standard with all TIG machines instead of the foot control.

Later...
    Lowlid
    Lowlid

Post  Lowlid Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:20 pm

The fingertip controller appears to have an action similar to a double action airbrush. I've got quite a bit of time under my belt with an airbrush, so I think the controller on the tig would not feel awkward.

We've got two big show events coming up local to me in the next few weeks and I'm hoping Miller has a booth set up. They usually wheel and deal at the shows so I'm hoping for a "good buy".

Andrew
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:22 pm

Go nfor it Andrew...

Later Man...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:38 pm