Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

4 posters

Upholstery information

Truxx1956

Upholstery information Empty Upholstery information

Post  Truxx1956 Fri May 08, 2009 4:53 pm

Hey guys/gals, I'm an upholsterer by trade and I also build custom cars/trucks as a side job. I just wanted to say hi, and also if anyone needs any advice on interior planing and construction that I'd be glad to help. Interiors much like a frame or any other part of a hotrod, needs to be planed correctly from the beginning. There are some Do's and Dont's that we all need to know. As soon as I get some more time, I'll post some pics of our work from our shop. cheers
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Upholstery information Empty Re: Upholstery information

Post  Darkside Dave Fri May 08, 2009 9:11 pm

Thanks Terry,
    I was hoping you would be planning something along those lines.

Later Man...

Dave
    Truxx1956

Post  Truxx1956 Fri May 08, 2009 9:13 pm

Yeah, I'm kind of busy these days, but I am available for question and such. I will try to get some pics on for you guys.
    low54
    low54

Post  low54 Wed May 13, 2009 1:40 pm

This may come across naive but, Can you slpit the original bench seat from '54 f-100? My frame is in great condition, but I like the option of the split seat like the one below...
    Upholstery information 0311cl_53ford_05_z
    Truxx1956

Post  Truxx1956 Wed May 13, 2009 7:58 pm

Hey man, yeah you can if you can weld. All you got to do is strip down the seat to the bare metal frame and leave the backrest to the bottom so it will hinge. Then you will have to make a center pivot and cut the backrest in half. You'll of course have to have everything centered and all. I always recommend to throw away the springs and put a piece of plywood or steel plate to the bottom and back and use a good grade of foam instead of springs. One more thing on the backrest spliting. Weld 2 uprights top to botton in the center of the frame with only about 1/2" between them leaving them longer than the bottom crossbar so you can use them for your pivots I'd make them out of 1" square tubing (light gauge).

I hope you understand this? If not, dont hesitate to ask.
    tomget
    tomget

Post  tomget Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:51 am

Hi Terry

I was wondering about the foam instead of springs you mentioned. Where can I find upholstery supplies like the foam and whatever else I might need. I've got an funky F1 seat and the frame is good, but the springs are broken here and there and rusty too.

Tom
    Truxx1956

Post  Truxx1956 Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:20 pm

Hey Tom, I dont know where you live, but we get most of our supplies from a place called The Miami Corp. They are in Ohio and do have a retail store. I think they are themiamicorp.com on the web? I'm not sure as we dont order online . They have different densities of foam and stuff. You need to make a plywood pan or metal for the bottom of the seat after removing the springs and then use a hard (S95) foam for the bottom and then softer foam for the top of it. That way it is soft on top and firm on the bottom so you can sit along time on the road. My personal email is trucks1956@yahoo.com I got to go back to work right now so if you need anything else. Feel free to email me

GOD bless
    tomget
    tomget

Post  tomget Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:54 pm

Hi Terry

I live in Northern California--napa county--and yes I was hoping for an on line source, and thanks i'll check out the on line for S95 foam and softer for the back etc. I've got an extra frame and an existing reupholstered bench seat that someone before me did--and they just didn't get it too my liking. I used it for awhile, but found a good OEM replacement that looks and works fine. But I was thinking of rebuilding the other. Its like they filled the back with too much "whatever" and it kinda forces one into the steering wheel etc and also the bottom is not well supported such that it slumps badly on the drivers side. The slumping on the drivers side is probably a common problem. I haven't taken it apart its one of the projects that is in the Q but I hope to get to it someday, And I have another==with the bad springs etc so Its good to know I can rebuild the thing. The frame is good=just fine-but the springs are broken etc--its toast in my opinion.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:01 am