Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

Ford Big Job part 2:

wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Ford Big Job part 2: Empty Ford Big Job part 2:

Post  wmjoe1953 Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:55 am

Like the title says, part 2 for my 53-55 F-750 Big Job. I'm going to run with a '53 grille this time, so it will be a '53 from here on out. I got the donor chassis, as indicated in my other thread, a 1980 Ford LN-9000 (according to the vin). It has a Detroit 6-71 diesel, with a 9 speed Eaton/Fuller Road Ranger transmission. This whole package makes that worn out '74 LNT-8000 with Caterpillar look like a big pile of pigish junk. As of right now, I have the LN cab, and nose gone. I chopped a section out of the middle of the F-600 frame I have here to use as a sub-frame. I pulled the Peterbilt air-leaf equipped 3.73 axle off the F-600 frame too, and have it ready to go under the new chassis. I will also have the matching Peterbilt front axle/suspension out tomorrow. I'll get some pictures tomorrow too. I have a friend here locally that may have a 60" flat top sleeper, with Taylor air wing for me too, as well as a a pair of round fuel tanks. They may be coming to me for free, which makes them very valuable for my project.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Ford Big Job part 2: Empty Re: Ford Big Job part 2:

Post  wmjoe1953 Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:15 pm

Very busy day today. Took full advantage of the tolerable weather, and kicked some truck build ass. Got the rear axle assembly swapped, and scraps loaded in the pick-up (that was the longest part of the day). Dug the good '53 cab out of the garage, and as the weather permits, I will be slowly building my Big Job.

Ford Big Job part 2: DSCF3393

Ford Big Job part 2: DSCF3383

Ford Big Job part 2: DSCF3385

Ford Big Job part 2: DSCF3384

Ford Big Job part 2: DSCF3387

Ford Big Job part 2: DSCF3386

Ford Big Job part 2: DSCF3392
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:47 pm

Pulled the mock-up cab off, and finished preparing the F-600 section of frame to be used as a sub-frame/adapter frame for the F-750 build. Set the good cab where I want it to set, and through the fenders over the steer tires to see how much cowl, and hood modification I need to do.

Ford Big Job part 2: DSCF3395

Ford Big Job part 2: DSCF3398

Ford Big Job part 2: DSCF3397
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Ford Big Job part 2: Empty Some progress updates

Post  wmjoe1953 Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:03 am

Hey darksiders!!!!! Figured I should update my build page on here, since I finally managed to get some time in on the build. Busy, busy summer finally slowed down a bit, and I've been plugging away at the Big Job. I've had to completely rebuild the floor, toe-board, firewall, and cowl on the beast, just to house that monsterous 6-71 Detroit Diesel engine. I also have to build a nose for it. So, I worked the cab, and the cowl area over, built the frame work for the running boards, and started a rough in of the hood. Still tons of work to do for the hood, but I can get it over the winter. The truck is currently at a point where I had to stop cutting, and welding, and start assembling a few things inorder to finish my cutting, and welding. I got a chance to fire it back up, and man oh man, that 6-71 Detroit sounds damned good. While I ran it, I jumped the Jake Brake wires, and was able to crack the throttle, and let the jake come on. Oh, I forgot, I did this with out a muffler/exhaust system. Man, an uncorked Jake is LOUD!!!!!!!!. Anyhow, here:

Ford Big Job part 2: DSCF3497

Ford Big Job part 2: DSCF3483

Ford Big Job part 2: Th_PICT0007

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 am