Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

2 posters

1970 C-40 Chevy bus

wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

1970 C-40 Chevy bus Empty 1970 C-40 Chevy bus

Post  wmjoe1953 Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:52 am

Well, I never thought I'd get to breathe life into the bus section, but hey, anything can happen.

I was tasked last summer with converting a 1970 Chevy C-40 bus to a Cummins diesel powered RV. The original engine was a 292 6 cylinder, with 4 speed manual. Horribly underpowered, and far from economical. The owner, is an employee of the U.S. Government, through the USGS. He's a nice guy, and my kids think he's good enough to be an extra grandpa. Anyhow, it was a Craigslist deal, and I answered the call. Since the 1954 F-100 restoration got pulled, the bus came right in after it. I actually got to make money on this one. There are a few pictures in my photobucket account, but not any recent ones. I'll get some new pictures tomorrow, and post them up. I started in August, had several work, and weather related delays, but it now runs, and drives, and is three parts from completion....an air filter, speedo cable, and tensioner pulley.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

1970 C-40 Chevy bus Empty A BUSS !!!

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:12 am

Hi Joe,

Can't wait to see the pictures. Now there's one thing I haven't tackled yet. I think maybe my free pass from my wife on bringing in junk might get revoked on that one. the incoming COE is already pushing the limit. I'm with you on the 292. What the hell were they smoking on that one? It must have been a special design for communities with all down hill streets. I'm reminded of a buss trip our local once took to DC back in 1980. They hired a buss from the community buss line here in town. It was an old pusher with a GM gas engine that was 427 C.I. if I recall correctly. The route from here to DC crosses the Appalacain mountains and it could harfly make it up the hills. What a piece of junk that was. In my opinion only diesels should be in trucks, busses and big RVs. Then they should have classes to teach people how to drive them.

Later Man...

wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

1970 C-40 Chevy bus Empty updated

Post  wmjoe1953 Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:20 pm

I suppose an update is in order. I wish I would have been so meticulous about this build, as with others, but I only have some photos to share. It runs, and drives now. In fact, I just got back from putting a couple miles on it, testing the new drive shaft. It left once, but the drive shaft didn't last, and it came back for a new two piece (my dumbass figured a one piece would be fine, but the driveline shop didn't use big truck type tubing).
    1970 C-40 Chevy bus DSCF2989

1970 C-40 Chevy bus DSCF2991

1970 C-40 Chevy bus DSCF3207

1970 C-40 Chevy bus DSCF3205

1970 C-40 Chevy bus DSCF3209

1970 C-40 Chevy bus DSCF3210

1970 C-40 Chevy bus DSCF3211

1970 C-40 Chevy bus DSCF3216

Last edited by wmjoe1953 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

1970 C-40 Chevy bus Empty Re: 1970 C-40 Chevy bus

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:21 pm

He Joe,
    something really has the pictures screwed up. Could be you need to repost them on Photobucket.

Later Man...
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:47 pm

They're showing up on my end. I see I forgot to put a space between them.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:27 pm

Looks OK now. That space must have done the trick.

Darkside Dave

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:19 am