Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

+2
Darkside Dave
Ninja
6 posters

Lil Bastard 91S10 with a 3.8lSC

Ninja

Lil Bastard 91S10 with a 3.8lSC - Page 2 Empty Re: Lil Bastard 91S10 with a 3.8lSC

Post  Ninja Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:47 am

I know its been awhile since i last posted but life is what is is have some new pics and some new projects

New Vids 1991 s10 with a ford 3.8l supercoupe motor and a 5 speed.
    VIDEO Click on pic

Lil Bastard 91S10 with a 3.8lSC - Page 2 Th_Lilbastardrunning

My new project 84 Indy Fiero still deciding to go with the 3800 sc or build a 3800 turbo

Lil Bastard 91S10 with a 3.8lSC - Page 2 CIMG2019

And i did get my man van done for the most part
    1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Lil Bastard 91S10 with a 3.8lSC - Page 2 CIMG1730

Ninja

Lil Bastard 91S10 with a 3.8lSC - Page 2 Empty Re: Lil Bastard 91S10 with a 3.8lSC

Post  Ninja Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:51 am

Vid link is broke for some odd reason but here is all the pics and the vid from my photobucket account

https://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x78/Ninja3854/#!cpZZ5QQtppZZ20
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:05 am

Ninja wrote:Vid link is broke for some odd reason but here is all the pics and the vid from my photobucket account

https://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x78/Ninja3854/#!cpZZ5QQtppZZ20

Hey Man,
    Glad to have you back again. I was starting to wonder about you. The SC in the S-10 looks good. Do you have it on the road now? Did I get that right??? You are thinking of putting a 3.8L SC engine in a Fiero??? If so you as crazy as I am. Ain't it great???

Do you happen to know where I can get a decent flex plate for a 3.8L SC engine? My SC had a 5 speed manual tranny and I am thinking of going with an AOD automatic I found. It was coupled to a 302 in a truck and the flex plate is different.

Later Man...

Darkside Dave
    jclars
    jclars

Post  jclars Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:59 pm

How did I miss your earlier postings? Incredible that I am finding the 3.8L SC everywhere and now in a Chevy! I will be picking your rather extensive brain. On that exhaust system especially. Would you mind posting a detailed list of the parts you used on it? And do you have a good recording of the sound you got out of it?

I am thinking of transferring the entire drive train (AOD)to my F100 but am wondering about motor mount height and angle as well. Wont know til I get there. Like Dave said, with the engine sitting in the T-bird, there is no way to envision how it might mount.

Cool work!

John L.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:10 am

jclars wrote:How did I miss your earlier postings? Incredible that I am finding the 3.8L SC everywhere and now in a Chevy! I will be picking your rather extensive brain. On that exhaust system especially. Would you mind posting a detailed list of the parts you used on it? And do you have a good recording of the sound you got out of it?

I am thinking of transferring the entire drive train (AOD)to my F100 but am wondering about motor mount height and angle as well. Wont know til I get there. Like Dave said, with the engine sitting in the T-bird, there is no way to envision how it might mount.

Cool work!

John L.

Hi John,
    First let me apologize to Ninja for somewhat hijacking his thread and allow me to say that if you want to discuss any of my experience so far you can do it on my First 53 build thread here in the Pickup Truck category. The reason I replied to your post is your mention of concerns involving mounting a clearances. First off, the mounting system for the 3.8L SC engine is totally different than the 302 or 351 even though they share the same bell housing bolt pattern. Another problem is the oil pan. It is a cast aluminum pan. Unlike stamped out sheet metal pans, you can't cut, weld and modify it. I'm not sure what F-150 you have but if it is 4WD that may cause problems. The SC engine seems to me to be as bulky or more so than the 302s and the 351 Windsors. Be sure you get all the mounting parts with the SC engine. I also know that you will definitely be fabricating some mounting stuff because what you have in the F-150 will most likely not work for you. Unfortunately, I won't be getting back on my '53 for a few months as I am trying to get my 54 C-800 COE cab ready to go to the blaster and then get a coat of epoxy primer on it. That way I can get it stored away while I wait on a great find for a rolling chassis. I expect it will be at least two months before I get back on the 53. Even my wife is hammering me for putting the 53 on the back burner. However, when I get back on it, positioning and mounting the SC engine with the M5R2 tranny and transfer case is my first priority and I will be documenting the work on the build thread.

Later Man...

Darkside Dave
    jclars
    jclars

Post  jclars Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi Dave - I will be installing the SC engine in a 1956 F100, not a modern F150. But in the same breath, I will be putting in a Jag XJ6 IFS which will undoubtedly create some oil pan issues. I am even starting to justify a slight tranny tunnel to allow the motor to sit higher, but it will all have to wait for actual mock-up.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Lil Bastard 91S10 with a 3.8lSC - Page 2 Empty Let's move this discussion...

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:44 pm

jclars wrote:Hi Dave - I will be installing the SC engine in a 1956 F100, not a modern F150. But in the same breath, I will be putting in a Jag XJ6 IFS which will undoubtedly create some oil pan issues. I am even starting to justify a slight tranny tunnel to allow the motor to sit higher, but it will all have to wait for actual mock-up.

I created a new thread in the engines section of the drive train category to accommodate discussions about using the 3.8L SC engine. For further discussion pleas go to https://darksidersrealm.forumotion.com/t449-the-illusive-t-bird-38-sc-engine#2872 so we won't be hijacking Ninja's thread.

Thanks...

Darkside Dave

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 5:10 am