Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

2 posters

What do you consider this Van to be?

FORDBOYpete
    FORDBOYpete

What do you consider this Van to be? Empty What do you consider this Van to be?

Post  FORDBOYpete Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:15 am

What do y'all consider an XLTN Aerostar Van to be. . . . A Mini Van? The one I have has a 4.0L V6 Cologne (all iron) engine and I pull a 16', 2 axle flatbed trailer with it. It seats 7 in 4 buckets as a 2+2 with a third row bench seat that seats 3. I run 225-75R-15s on 8" X 15" Grand Marquis OEM alloy turbine style wheels to keep brakes cool & carry 14,000 lbs I gross with the loaded combo. It has a Reese receiver hitch with 800# tongue capacity, Suspension is 1/2 ton OEM coil springs with 1,000# rated Load-Levelers on sensatrack HD's for rear shocks and medium
    duty plain Sensatrack shocks up front.
    It has real creature comforts with cloth seats, rear A/C, rear tunes & controls and I look down at most passenger cars, mini vans, and small to medium Pick Up trucks as I go by them. I put a couple photos in the Gallery. Oh yeah it has 250K miles and is all original OEM running gear.

I'm proud of this work truck, and it's a sleeper with lots of stuff inside nobody can see and the weather can't get to.

FBp Rolling Eyes Suspect
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

What do you consider this Van to be? Empty Maybe it's a midi-van...

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi Pete,

I know this is an old post but for some reason I seem to have missed it or else I just don't remember it. Anyway, I kind of see where you are coming from on this one. Since I have a big old '93 E-350 diesel long body that was supposed to go to am ambulance conversion factory but the order was canceled, I tend to think of all vans as mini vans. But you are right. The Aerostar was a real hauler. I had an '87 I bought new with the 3.0L and I towed a cabin cruiser with it for a while.. Not something I would have tried with other mini vans. However, I have to admit it was a bit sluggish and it did have the towing package. The 4.0L would have been a marked improvement. As you pointed out, it's nice to have the cargo locked up; and protected as well as out of sight. The front half of my E-350 has been stocked with old truck parts in boxes for almost a year no and I still have a capacity equal to a short bed pick up in the rear. As a matter of fact, I just used it yesterday to go pick up a Kohler marine generator for a houseboat that I am going to rebuild.

Later Man...

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:41 am