Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

+5
tomget
koth
charger
sinndustrial
Darkside Dave
9 posters

NEW PROJECT...

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

NEW PROJECT... Empty NEW PROJECT...

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:24 am

Hi Folks,

I just thought I'd start a new thread here about my neighbor's project. He goes by the user name of koth here on the board but so far he has been a lurker. So, it's up to you guys to coax him out of his shell and get him active. he has just acquired a 1990 Lincoln Mark 7 as a donor car for the drive train and suspension parts. It has the 302 or 5.0L High Output engine like the Mustang GT's had complete with the headers on it. He is looking for a standard cab Ranger with a good title for the body part. He wants to build his own frame ans make a really short bed for the rear so all he really needs is the cab with doors. He plans on an open engine and wheels. Of course something may come along that will change all his plans regarding the body. Right now he is just looking for something and is reasonably open minded. We're here in SE Ohio so if any of you guys know of something nearby send koth a PM or post it here. I have been taking pictures of his tear down of the donor car. when he gets it completely stripped out I will post them here.

Later Folks...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

NEW PROJECT... Empty Re: NEW PROJECT...

Post  Darkside Dave Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:45 pm

Hi Folks,

Here are some pics of the very beginning of koth's rat rod project.

NEW PROJECT... KOTHCAR01

NEW PROJECT... KOTHCAR02

NEW PROJECT... KOTHCAR03

NEW PROJECT... KOTHCAR04

NEW PROJECT... KOTHCAR05

NEW PROJECT... KOTHCAR06

NEW PROJECT... KOTHCAR07

NEW PROJECT... KOTHCAR08

NEW PROJECT... KOTHCAR09

NEW PROJECT... KOTHCAR10

RAT ROD STARTER KIT

NEW PROJECT... RatRodStarterKit1

NEW PROJECT... RatRodStarterKit2

NEW PROJECT... RatRodStarterKit3

NEW PROJECT... RatRodStarterKit4

NEW PROJECT... RatRodStarterKit5

OK, now we got him this far, now all he needs is some kind of body so he can start building a frame

My work is never done...
    sinndustrial
    sinndustrial

Post  sinndustrial Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:10 pm

HEY!!!!!! I WAS WONDERING WHAT HAPPENED TO MY LINCOLN!!!! damn.... cant leave anything unattended these days.... lol just kidding guys.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

NEW PROJECT... Empty More of Koth's project...

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:57 am

Hi Folks,
    Koth got his engine cleaned up and he's ready to put a new gasket set in it. He sort of hung it all back together to keep the stuff clean and safe until he does the gasket job. So, don't get too picky about the pics where you see blue spark plugs, an old oil filter and missing bolts.

OK, Here are the pics...

NEW PROJECT... 5.0-1

NEW PROJECT... 5.0-2

NEW PROJECT... 5.0-3

NEW PROJECT... 5.0-4

This thing ought to be a nice rig when he gets it done. A little too classy for a lot of the Rat Rod crowd but That's just the way he is. I would class it more as an economy street rod. Hey, maybe that's a new category.

More to come when he gets a body... If I live long enough for that...

Later Folks...

charger
    charger

Post  charger Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:16 pm

wow that motor looks better than mine!!, you`ve stripped down that car more than my crown vic!! NEW PROJECT... Icon_biggrin
    koth
    koth

Post  koth Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:37 pm

Hey thanks charger I'm just working on what I can until I find a Ranger cab so I can start building a frame. I have the suspension all blasted and painted its a 4 link on the rear with airbags on all 4 corners.Darkside Dave and I had this car torn apart and the body off to the local scrap yard in about 3 days.I saved just about all the rest of the car it's stored in my building out back till I get done to see what I'll need and what I won't.
    tomget
    tomget

NEW PROJECT... Empty cool look'n stuff Koth

Post  tomget Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:13 pm

That's really good looking stuff. You've got a great start. Ranger cab. That would be nice. Keep look'n you'll find it or something different that you like just as well.

Goodluck Tom
    koth
    koth

NEW PROJECT... Empty Ranger Ratrod

Post  koth Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:33 pm

Hey thanks Tom right now the plan is a ranger cab and I will build the frame and the bed. It will be an open motor and maybe Ford 8N tractor grille and radiator.I hope to keep it all Ford if I can. I got a line on a Ranger today with a blown motor that might be a good propect I'll have to check on next week.
    koth
    koth

NEW PROJECT... Empty More Ratrod parts

Post  koth Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:25 pm

I'm posting some pics of some more ratrod parts I have picked up lately One is a wing and the other is a radiator out of a 41 Chrysler. I've found a Ranger for the donor cab but have'nt got it home yet weather has been to bad here.NEW PROJECT... Miscpictures090NEW PROJECT... Miscpictures096[img]NEW PROJECT... Ratrod2NEW PROJECT... Ratrod

Last edited by koth on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:10 pm; edited 5 times in total
    Grumpyoldman
    Grumpyoldman
    Admin

Post  Grumpyoldman Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:58 pm

Damn, This looks like one hell of a project....So tell us what are your plans with the cab???? Chop-it, Channel-it, Narrow-it, Widen-it ????
    koth
    koth

NEW PROJECT... Empty Ranger cab

Post  koth Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:17 pm

Hey Grumpy,,,,, I'm planning on chopping the top on the Ranger also I'll gut the interior and build my own dash and door panels.I'm also going to build a full roll cage in there just in case I do something really stupid or if somebody else does and runs into me. Don't know that it will be a true ratrod kinda of a street rat I guess. I'll try to get pictures on your Gearheads site this weekend it'll be listed under Operation Ranger Rat
    charger
    charger

Post  charger Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:37 pm

if you chop it mabe check different forums out because i`m sure rangers have (tempered )safety glass and cannot be cut like the old windshields.might have to just slot the bottom of the windshield frame and slide the glass into the cowl?
    Grumpyoldman
    Grumpyoldman
    Admin

Post  Grumpyoldman Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:30 pm

What year Ranger is it? If its a newer style truck it has more of a curve to it, like 93 and up have a shape with more aerodynamic the early models.. And 83 to 92 have less of a curve. Here's a link to windshield cutting for the do it yourself-er, It might not help you, but you get the general idea.....

http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/54pontiac/windshield.html
    koth
    koth

NEW PROJECT... Empty Windshield

Post  koth Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:31 pm

Thanks for the link about windshield cutting Grumpy I hope mine goes smoother that that guys did.The Ranger I bought is a 91 so it's the older body style. I will definetly check out chargers idea of dropping the windshield in the cowl never really thought of that might be the cheapest and easiest way to do it. If not there is a waterjet about 15 miles from the house and I'm sure they could cut it. I've priced some jobs thru them for the machine shop I work at and they are suprisingly fairly reasonable.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

NEW PROJECT... Empty Tell 'em about it KOTH...

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:40 am

OK, now it's time for more pictures and and that new name...

Does Mazdaratty ring a bell ??? BTW, y'all need to add that one to your dictionary...

Last edited by Darkside Dave on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
    koth
    koth

NEW PROJECT... Empty Mazdaratty

Post  koth Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:27 pm

The body for my ratrod project was going to be a Ranger but plans have changed since I got a 97 Mazda B 4000 for FREE,,,,,, It's basically the same truck but it did"nt cost me a dime. My neighbors grandson wrecked it on a snowy night and his parents just wanted it to go away. So I said I can do that and it was setting only about 30 yards from the garage.NEW PROJECT... Donortruck005NEW PROJECT... Donortruck003NEW PROJECT... Donortruck002
    Grumpyoldman
    Grumpyoldman
    Admin

Post  Grumpyoldman Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:26 pm

I have a question: when you goto put this project on the road are you going to have to register it as the 97 mazda? And will it have to pass the emissions test for your state? OBD2 how will it be hooked up? Just my 2 cents....... bounce
    koth
    koth

Post  koth Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:38 pm

Hey Grumpy yea it will be registered as a Mazda and we don't have any emission tests in Ohio. I will have to run the computer but I've got the complete wiring harness from the Lincoln. Darkside Dave will be my wiring guru because left to me I may never get it to run.
    koth
    koth

NEW PROJECT... Empty Mazda teardown

Post  koth Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:44 pm

The Mazda pretty much done the cabs on the floor in the garage and motor and transmission are still on the frame waiting on a buyer. Heres some pics of what it looks like nowNEW PROJECT... B4000-3NEW PROJECT... B4000-2NEW PROJECT... B4000-1
    Grumpyoldman
    Grumpyoldman
    Admin

Post  Grumpyoldman Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:55 pm

Do you have the room to slide that windshield down into the cowl area so you can chop it?
    koth
    koth

NEW PROJECT... Empty Top chop

Post  koth Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:18 pm

Hey Grumpy should have room in the cowl but I'm having second thoughts about chopping this thing I may leave it alone
    koth
    koth

NEW PROJECT... Empty Cab and suspension

Post  koth Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:23 pm

Heres some pics of the cab and suspension sitting togetherNEW PROJECT... Miscpictures008NEW PROJECT... Miscpictures007NEW PROJECT... Miscpictures010
    Grumpyoldman
    Grumpyoldman
    Admin

Post  Grumpyoldman Mon May 10, 2010 7:56 pm

So how's MAZDARAT coming? Anything NEW??????
    koth
    koth

NEW PROJECT... Empty Mazdarati progress

Post  koth Mon May 10, 2010 9:58 pm

Hey Grumpy I got most of the panels welded in the cab and is ready for body filler but I got sidetracked with a repair job on a John Deere 318 garden tractor. Gotta pay for this project some how LOL I 'll get some pictures posted soon
    koth
    koth

Post  koth Tue May 18, 2010 9:06 pm

I've made some progress on the cab I got all the panels welded in and is ready for body filler.I also got some new parts 40mm shells for armrests,,old Ford wrenches that I made into window cranks,,mirrors,,electric radiator fan,,and new passenger side door. Going to be sidtracked for a couple more weeks with stuff in the shop and around the house but when thats done I"ll get the material for the frame in the shop and have at itNEW PROJECT... Miscpictures010-1NEW PROJECT... Miscpictures009NEW PROJECT... Miscpictures007-1NEW PROJECT... Miscpictures019NEW PROJECT... Miscpictures018NEW PROJECT... Miscpictures015NEW PROJECT... Miscpictures013

Last edited by koth on Tue May 18, 2010 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 7:05 am