Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

4 posters

Hello All from another newb!

Bloodyknuckles
    Bloodyknuckles

Hello All from another newb! Empty Hello All from another newb!

Post  Bloodyknuckles Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:18 pm

Hey Dave, thought I'd check out your Darksider site. Looks good n Dark LOL. My son and I have a 53 F-100. I did a frame off back in 2000,kept it simple,with the volare clip,stock 77 302 and c-4 combo out of a 77 f-100. I also added 4 wheel disc, w/a 1960 ThunderBird 9" with a 3.00 gear. I finished it up early 2005, We both drove it till 2008 and we decided to upgrade the truck.

We both wanted to go a little bit wilder than what was in the old girl. We started off with an upgrade to parallel 4 bar rear suspension w/ coilovers. From there we relocated the gas tank to the rear of the frame w/ a 65 stang 16 gal. tank.
    We then relocated the master cylinder and power booster to the fire wall, much easier to service it from there.

That 302 was tired and the trans didnt want to shift to second sometimes, and it was starting to make a funny whining noise. I only paid $125.00 for that old 77 engine and trans, we put 15k on it, I think we got our money's worth.

As of today we're just putting the final touches on our engine and trans we sorta well went big time here we put a c-6 with t.c.i. internals a 3000 stall convertor.
    In front of the c-6 is a 450 H.P. 347 cleverly disguised as a 302. We'll post some pics soon.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Hello All from another newb! Empty Re: Hello All from another newb!

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:07 pm

Bloodyknuckles wrote:Hey Dave, thought I'd check out your Darksider site. Looks good n Dark LOL. My son and I have a 53 F-100. I did a frame off back in 2000,kept it simple,with the volare clip,stock 77 302 and c-4 combo out of a 77 f-100. I also added 4 wheel disc, w/a 1960 ThunderBird 9" with a 3.00 gear. I finished it up early 2005, We both drove it till 2008 and we decided to upgrade the truck.

We both wanted to go a little bit wilder than what was in the old girl. We started off with an upgrade to parallel 4 bar rear suspension w/ coilovers. From there we relocated the gas tank to the rear of the frame w/ a 65 stang 16 gal. tank.
    We then relocated the master cylinder and power booster to the fire wall, much easier to service it from there.

That 302 was tired and the trans didnt want to shift to second sometimes, and it was starting to make a funny whining noise. I only paid $125.00 for that old 77 engine and trans, we put 15k on it, I think we got our money's worth.

As of today we're just putting the final touches on our engine and trans we sorta well went big time here we put a c-6 with t.c.i. internals a 3000 stall convertor.
    In front of the c-6 is a 450 H.P. 347 cleverly disguised as a 302. We'll post some pics soon.

WOW !!! Now that's DARK...

It's great to hear you and your son are working together on it.

You guys are killing me here with all this work on the '53s 'cause I haven't really done much yet.

Later Man...
    charger
    charger

Post  charger Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:14 pm

welcome!!! i want your engine!!!
    Bloodyknuckles
    Bloodyknuckles

Post  Bloodyknuckles Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:30 pm

Darkside Dave wrote:
    Bloodyknuckles wrote:Hey Dave, thought I'd check out your Darksider site. Looks good n Dark LOL. My son and I have a 53 F-100. I did a frame off back in 2000,kept it simple,with the volare clip,stock 77 302 and c-4 combo out of a 77 f-100. I also added 4 wheel disc, w/a 1960 ThunderBird 9" with a 3.00 gear. I finished it up early 2005, We both drove it till 2008 and we decided to upgrade the truck.

WOW !!! Now that's DARK...

It's great to hear you and your son are working together on it.

You guys are killing me here with all this work on the '53s 'cause I haven't really done much yet.

Later Man...
    Its great to teach him everything about that truck. We only get to work on it on Sundays,our hours of work are conflicting, we do get a lot done when we can.
    Bloodyknuckles
    Bloodyknuckles

Post  Bloodyknuckles Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:32 pm

charger wrote:welcome!!! i want your engine!!!
    Ok I'll let you buy it and I'll build another one. LOL!
    Bloodyknuckles
    Bloodyknuckles

Post  Bloodyknuckles Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:59 pm

update: were this = close to firing that new engine, cam break-in twice once with single springs then with the inner and outer springs. Sorta of a PITA it is what it is. We're gonna shot some video of this event!
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:25 pm

We'll be waiting for the big show Man...
    55f350
    55f350

Post  55f350 Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:10 am

welcome and wheres this sitting ????? those rear fenders look so much better than the ones my 53 is sporting ........................... i'll race ya for 'em ..... down hill in a vacuum as my flatty wouldn't have even kept up with your 302 nonetheless anything else ......
    Bloodyknuckles
    Bloodyknuckles

Post  Bloodyknuckles Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:24 pm

don't let that picture fool you those are original fenders very well used. They have the usual patches where the running boards mate up, the one on the right was backed into by some one who told me they had insurance and didn't! They're going to be replaced next year with glass fenders. My bed is still holding up its original too, I repaired the lower front panel with a patch from Mid Fifty, we're going to knock out some of the dents, and put a new paint job on the whole truck and replace the windsheild, rear window, and door glass.
    Bloodyknuckles
    Bloodyknuckles

Post  Bloodyknuckles Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:52 pm

Well big dissapointment today, we installed one of those hy torque starters by the time we figured out how to hook it up, we discovered we had a new dead battery, Well almost dead it grunted a couple of times and quit! Mad
    Bloodyknuckles
    Bloodyknuckles

Post  Bloodyknuckles Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:45 am

Well Its been several weeks of head aches and brickwalls, and we still have not been able to run the engine long enough to break in the cam UGH! Started out with oil leaks from the valve covers, had to remove the baffles to clear the poly locks on the roller rockers, well when we bring up the rpm's oil was pouring out the breathers onto HOT! headers not a good senario. Were using a melling m68a high pressure oil pump, and let me tell ya that sucker pumps some oil, 90lb cold 35 hot @ idle.
    After several trips to Summit, new plugs again and I had to return the new valve covers we purchased were'nt tall enough, finally on line I found the ones that did the trick. Today will be the day to get it done, I have to rewire the cooling fan for the radiator every time it kicks on, it robs power from the ignition system and almost kills the engine. I'am going to run power direct from the battery through a relay, The way its set up now is through the ign. switch to the thermostat this fan sucks 30 amps.
    Well to finish up here, todays menu install lokar trans kick down cable, rewire elec fan, and uh ya add some more gas I uh ran it outta gas the other day.
    55f350
    55f350

Post  55f350 Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:14 am

don't know about you but i just love beating my head against the wall and the headaches ... seriously what the hades is the fun of it if it doesn't challenge you ????????? first drive round the block it , the pain will be cleansed away !!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
    Bloodyknuckles
    Bloodyknuckles

Post  Bloodyknuckles Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:25 am

Well Sunday went great, stepson stopped by and rewired my cooling fan through a relay,works great!
    Yesterday I took the valve train apart, I have to install the inner valve springs, and break the cam in with both sets of springs. Another royal PITA, But it will be worth it! Bought a bigger bottle of Tylenol LOL LOL LOL!
    We have to finish this up we gotta drive it to the car kulture show in a week in and a half Very Happy
    My Mrs. informed me I have a family reunion to attend Sunday,so I'am makin a list of things for son to finish up. Hey Dave, I'll be in you're neck of the woods, I'll be at Salt Fork State Park I love that place.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:39 am

Bloodyknuckles wrote:My Mrs. informed me I have a family reunion to attend Sunday,so I'am makin a list of things for son to finish up. Hey Dave, I'll be in you're neck of the woods, I'll be at Salt Fork State Park I love that place.

Hi Bloddy,
    Yep you'll be closer... Salt Fork is nice and about 50 or so miles from me. Cambridge is where my wife is from. We used to go to Salt Fork when we had the Cabin cruiser. I was one of the few people who trailered a boat that size but I have always had a one ton truck so it really wasn't all that hard to do even though it gets you lots of wierd looks at the launching ramps. the upside was the decent shape it stayed in not being left in the water. I sold the boat in '04 just before the gas prices got so high I couldn't give it away. We now have a camper but we don't use it for much other than going to visit my son down by Atlanta.

Being from the Cleveland area, do you get to either one of the Pull-A-Part yards very often? My son was up for a visit in April and we went up to both of them. I was able to find more of what I wanted at the East location. I also get up to Euclid every once in a while to go to HGR Industrial Surplus. Have you ever been there? If not you should go over and take a look around the place. They have four acres of all kinds of industrial machinery and equipment under roof. I bought a Bridgeport milling machine and some other equipment there. http://www.pvpmedia.com/sp1.htm to see my mill. My neighbor also bought a mill and a really nice LeBlonde lathe there. Pull-A-Part is opening a yard on the South side of Canton which will be a lot closer and a lot easier than coming all the way up to Cleveland. I figure I'll be visiting it when it opens.

Later Man...
    Bloodyknuckles
    Bloodyknuckles

Post  Bloodyknuckles Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:05 am

Darkside Dave wrote:
    Bloodyknuckles wrote:My Mrs. informed me I have a family reunion to attend Sunday,so I'am makin a list of things for son to finish up. Hey Dave, I'll be in you're neck of the woods, I'll be at Salt Fork State Park I love that place.
    Well the family reunion was cancelled, this weekend. Its been changed for next weekend, Time to get out and change my valve springs today
    . Dave I've been to the west side pull a part I just go there to get what I need. I found a trans yoke and a c6 dipstick tube I needed.
    Hi Bloddy,
    Yep you'll be closer... Salt Fork is nice and about 50 or so miles from me. Cambridge is where my wife is from. We used to go to Salt Fork when we had the Cabin cruiser. I was one of the few people who trailered a boat that size but I have always had a one ton truck so it really wasn't all that hard to do even though it gets you lots of wierd looks at the launching ramps. the upside was the decent shape it stayed in not being left in the water. I sold the boat in '04 just before the gas prices got so high I couldn't give it away. We now have a camper but we don't use it for much other than going to visit my son down by Atlanta.

Being from the Cleveland area, do you get to either one of the Pull-A-Part yards very often? My son was up for a visit in April and we went up to both of them. I was able to find more of what I wanted at the East location. I also get up to Euclid every once in a while to go to HGR Industrial Surplus. Have you ever been there? If not you should go over and take a look around the place. They have four acres of all kinds of industrial machinery and equipment under roof. I bought a Bridgeport milling machine and some other equipment there. http://www.pvpmedia.com/sp1.htm to see my mill. My neighbor also bought a mill and a really nice LeBlonde lathe there. Pull-A-Part is opening a yard on the South side of Canton which will be a lot closer and a lot easier than coming all the way up to Cleveland. I figure I'll be visiting it when it opens.

Later Man...
    Bloodyknuckles
    Bloodyknuckles

Post  Bloodyknuckles Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:30 pm

Well we got the set of inner valve springs on the heads, almost an all day affair. We tried the pumping air into the cylinders with the piston all the way up LOL! what a joke that was. We spent almost 5 hours feeding rope into the cylinders, turning the crank push the piston up against the combustion chambers to hold the valves in place while I changed the springs. OMG, pass me the excedrin!
    Today I went to the gas station bought more gas poured it into the tank came in the house went back outside gas was everywhere under the tank. Seems the O ring seal wasn't sealing the fuel gauge sending unit. This is the 65 stang tank I installed last year, never put any gas in it till this year brand new tank, had rust in it. luckily the tank has a drain plug I drained the tank pulled out the sending unit, had rust on the float so I imagine the rust is in my new fuel line carb and gas filter. Yippie it dosen't get any better than this. I discovered the O ring seal got pinched and it had a kink in it, its a kinda funky set up. Shoulda gone with a fuel cell. Oh well Welcome to the DARKSIDE! LOL LOL LOL!
    Bloodyknuckles
    Bloodyknuckles

Post  Bloodyknuckles Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:20 am

Took the truck to the local cruise in last night,200 plus rides. Took home the second 50/50 pot $113.00,the old lady went to bingo so I probably broke even LOL! Engine is running just awesome, the 8 m.p.g. concern's me NOT! We still need to do some tuning,probably going to have to change power brake booster to a dual diaphram, almost T-Boned some J**KA*S on the way home. Have a good weekend all!
    Bloodyknuckles
    Bloodyknuckles

Post  Bloodyknuckles Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:24 pm

Hello All from another newb! Album
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:25 pm

Bloodyknuckles wrote:Hello All from another newb! Album

OK, you are getting there but you need the whole URL What you have stops after photbucket and album. You should have two more slashes in there with you username on photobucket and the filename of the actual picture. Send me the URL of your Photobucket page and I'll find what you have there and fix it.

Later Man...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content