Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

3 posters

SICK GOAT...

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

SICK GOAT... Empty SICK GOAT...

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:23 pm

Hi Folks,

I just took in a job doing the floor and trunk pans on a '73 GTO. The interesting part is that the guy who owns it has a body shop and he says they can't do the job. I guess if it involves more that bolts, paint and glue they can no longer do the hard stuff. Little did I know this was going to open the flood gates and invite more of the same kind of work. As soon as the word got out with my Car Club they started to line up.. I'm thinking this is a mixed blessing for me. On the one hand I like having the work as it's a way to earn a little extra money. On the other hand I am concerned that it might end up being a full time job. I prefer short duration jobs so I can work on my own stuff in between times. That may in fact work out because the guys who have talked to me can work with that. I guess I'm cheap. I have so far maintained a $25.00 per hour shop charge. I do that because this is a part time retirement business and I have a low overhead. I also like to do this stuff and I'm thinking that maybe guys like the ones in my car club are doing thess cars for hobby projects and they can't afford to to invest the kind of money the big boys do. I'm trying to work with them on a basis of them doing as much as they possibly can for themselves and I'll do the stuff they can't.

I will shortly be posting pictures as soon as I get them on PhotoBucket. I thought it might also serve as a kind of combination tutorial and guide for those people out there that are thinking of doing a project but they aren't quite sure if they want to tackle it. I intend to show every nasty problem and the parts no one expects to encounter.

I'm posting this as a STICKY so it will remain in the top group of this forum. Firts pictures and description of work and problems I encounter to follow in the coming week.

Later Folks...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

SICK GOAT... Empty First Pictures...

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:42 pm

Hi Folks,
    Here are the first of the pictures of the'73 GTO I am working on. If you have a weak stomach, don't look...
    First are the pictures of what it looked like the day it showed up in front of my shop.

SICK GOAT... GOAT1

SICK GOAT... GOAT2

SICK GOAT... GOAT3

SICK GOAT... TheWayIgotIt01

SICK GOAT... TheWayIgotIt02

SICK GOAT... TheWayIgotIt03

SICK GOAT... TheWayIgotIt04

SICK GOAT... TheWayIgotIt05

SICK GOAT... TheWayIgotIt06

SICK GOAT... TheWayIgotIt07

SICK GOAT... TheWayIgotIt08

As you can see, it ain't a creampuff...

Now the nasty stuff...

SICK GOAT... RottenFlr2

SICK GOAT... RottenFlr1

Now the cutting out of the cancer begins...

SICK GOAT... CutOut1

SICK GOAT... CutOut2

SICK GOAT... CutOut5

Moving on to the trunk floor...

SICK GOAT... TF1

SICK GOAT... TFL1

SICK GOAT... TFR1

That is all I have for now. Next I will start refining the cut outs to fit the new floor panels and reconditioning the remaining rusty structural members under the trunk floor and over the interior floor sections. I am going to have to fabricate some pieces fron new 18GA sheet metal. Hopefully by next week at this time I will have more pictures if the rains from Lee stop.

Later Folks...

jerryj
    jerryj

SICK GOAT... Empty Re: SICK GOAT...

Post  jerryj Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:38 am

That looks like some fun! I need to make a trip your direction for a visit.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:58 pm

jerryj wrote:That looks like some fun! I need to make a trip your direction for a visit.

Hi Jerry,
    Well, it's probably no where near the fun you are having with the coupe but it is a paying job. I'm doing it outside because my truck project is in the shop and right now the goat is on hold under a tarp due to all the rains we have been having as an effect of Lee.

You are welcome to visit anytime but let me know ahead of time because I am prone to vacate on occasion.

Later Man...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

SICK GOAT... Empty Trunk Floor panels in...

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:55 am

I finally got the trunk floor panels in. I still have some patch work to do in the corners around the bottoms of the inner fender wells. This thing is a real rust bucket and I am glad it's not mine. But hey, to each his own... I think if it were mine I would have bitten the bullet and bought a whole "A" body kit from Year One and built the car from scratch using the title and exterior panels from this car. I would have loved to see them fix up this on on Overhaulin'

SICK GOAT... TFin1

Although the structural members that were spot welded to the bottom of the floor panels were pretty badly gone from rust I did my best to recondition and reuse them as the owner did not provide new ones. I cleaned them off, straightened them and doped the hell out of them with cold galvanize zinc spray.

SICK GOAT... TFin2

Above is the view of the underside

I'm doing this one outside for several reasons so I need to get on with it and get it done before bad weather sets in. We have rain again for most of the week so by the weekend I hope to be well into the inside floor panels.

Later Folks...
    58 ford
    58 ford

SICK GOAT... Empty And you thought i was nuts LOL

Post  58 ford Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi Dave

I was looking at another post and learned of this, I guess i am not the only nutbar that would take this on.
    I looked at the trunk floor it must have been a @$@$^ to seperate the braces from the old pan!
    when i got my trunk pan from out west the guy included the braces with it, mine went from wheelwell to the tailights. The hardest part was making sure all the ribs lined up!
    Later Andrew
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

SICK GOAT... Empty Thanks...

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks Andrew,

I appreciate the kind words. I was going to take pictures of the inside floor panels too but the owner came and got it and I had forgotten to take inside finish pictures. And yes, seperating the brace pieces was a real bitch plus they needed straightened. I don't know why the owner didn't get those too. You are right, getting everything lined up is not easy. Sometimes it was a case of taqck and strain it to the right place and then tack again. BTW. here is a tip. If you don't want to spend the high dollars on $#13.00 a trube seam sealer you can use the exterior grade liquid nails. It takesd a while longer to set up but it paints and lasts forever even under water. I would not hesitate to use it on my own projects.

Later Man...

58 ford
    58 ford

Post  58 ford Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:10 pm

HI

I know what you mean about fighting with it.
    Where did you get the product you are talking about,How did you apply it.
    Will a lacquer primer affect it? I want to use a rubberized spray coat after i seal the seams too!
    Later Andrew
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:57 pm

58 ford wrote:HI

I know what you mean about fighting with it.
    Where did you get the product you are talking about,How did you apply it.
    Will a lacquer primer affect it? I want to use a rubberized spray coat after i seal the seams too!
    Later Andrew

Get it at any builders supply like Lowes or Home Depot. It's the stuff used to glue wood like plywood to wall studs or floor joists. It's been around for years. Liquid Nails is the name of the stuff. When it sets up even acetone won't touch it. It is also used to glue panels to metal studs with slick electroplating on them. It will not degrade or deteriorate and it's cheap.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:14 am