Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

4 posters

Maiden Voyage of the Scoobygator...

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Maiden Voyage of the Scoobygator... Empty Maiden Voyage of the Scoobygator...

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:34 pm

Hi Folks,

Here are some pictures of the first movement of the Scoobygator under it's own power. The brakes are not working right and I need to put lube in the tranny. The carburetor isn't working right either. But what the hell, it was time to give it a try.

Maiden Voyage of the Scoobygator... SMV03

OK, Lets get moving here...

Maiden Voyage of the Scoobygator... SMV01

Maiden Voyage of the Scoobygator... SMV02

On the road...

Maiden Voyage of the Scoobygator... SMV04

Damn carburetor !!!
    mcbrat

Maiden Voyage of the Scoobygator... Empty Re: Maiden Voyage of the Scoobygator...

Post  mcbrat Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Dave, the stock Hitachi only wants about 2psi for fuel pressure....
    The other option as you have probably seen on the USMB would be a weber 32/36 carb conversion...

looking good!
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Maiden Voyage of the Scoobygator... Empty Re: Maiden Voyage of the Scoobygator...

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:25 pm

mcbrat wrote:Dave, the stock Hitachi only wants about 2psi for fuel pressure....
    The other option as you have probably seen on the USMB would be a weber 32/36 carb conversion...

looking good!

Hi Mcbrat,

Welcome to the Darkside...

Yeah, I figured that out and put a pressure bypass around the electric pump. I still am having issues with the carb. I have another one I want to try. If that doesn't work out for me tomorrow I will have to look for the Weber carb. Where and how cheap can I get one???

Later Man...
    shameless
    shameless

Post  shameless Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:09 pm

Dave, I have two two br. carbs off my ford, they werent big enough for the 351m but if they'd work on your S.G. you can just have one. lol
    mcbrat

Post  mcbrat Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:54 pm

best bet for the weber 32/36 would be a used one from someone. new ones go for $300+ normally. They make adapters ($50) for them to fit the hitachi pattern on the intake manifold, but I suspect you could make one easily enough...

I've known other folks that have put a Ford 2bbl on as well...

Heck,I even had a Holley 600cfm running on my Brat for a bit... used a weber adapter, then a slightly modified 2bbl->4bbl adapter... running in a gravel pit, 2nd gear low range, with RPMS at about 2500 it absolutely screamed!
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:59 am

mcbrat wrote:best bet for the weber 32/36 would be a used one from someone. new ones go for $300+ normally. They make adapters ($50) for them to fit the hitachi pattern on the intake manifold, but I suspect you could make one easily enough...

Heck,I even had a Holley 600cfm running on my Brat for a bit... used a weber adapter, then a slightly modified 2bbl->4bbl adapter... running in a gravel pit, 2nd gear low range, with RPMS at about 2500 it absolutely screamed!

I hope it doesn't come to that... $300.00 is way to high to spend on this thing. Yeah I cold take a block of aluminum and get it on my Bridgeport mill and carve it into about any kind of adapter I wanted but I would thing those big 2 bbl. would be a bit much for the old 1.8 to swallow.
    mcbrat

Post  mcbrat Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:32 am

Darkside Dave wrote:
    mcbrat wrote:best bet for the weber 32/36 would be a used one from someone. new ones go for $300+ normally. They make adapters ($50) for them to fit the hitachi pattern on the intake manifold, but I suspect you could make one easily enough...

I hope it doesn't come to that... $300.00 is way to high to spend on this thing. Yeah I cold take a block of aluminum and get it on my Bridgeport mill and carve it into about any kind of adapter I wanted but I would thing those big 2 bbl. would be a bit much for the old 1.8 to swallow.

I would think it was okay... when I had the 600 cfm 4bbl on my soob, I cranked the idle circle way down, and it was vac secondary, so it did okay, but loved higher RPMs. it tended to bog a bit low RPMs...

a 2bbl off a mid sized 70's ford was what one guy met used....

if you end up going for something different than the ford carb, I have a manual choke weber that I just got off ebay for $125. it had a new kit put in it before the guy sold it. came with a vw adapter, but it's too big to modify for the soob....

what issues are you having with the hicrappy.?
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:40 am

It was old and full of crud. I cleaned it up and put a kit in it but it just wont run right. I have tried to eliminate a lot of the silly polution stuff and that may or may not be part of the problem. I an going to put the other used carb I have on today. If it runs OK with that one I will move on. I need to get this thing finished in the next two weeks. I still have parts to make and the full instrumentation and control stuff to do. I don't have a lot of time to fool with the carb. If I get it running OK I will let it go at that.

Later Man...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Maiden Voyage of the Scoobygator... Empty Another test ride...

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:35 pm

Better this time... But no prize...

I now have the bypass adjusted to feed just enough pressure to the carb to keep from flooding the carb out.

You are right when you called that carb a Hicrappy. What a piece of shit ???

I took it for about a mile run down our road and back. It still does not have the powwer it should have but it is running a lot better. there may also be vacuum leak issues because it seeme to never pull more that about 10 inches. It ought to shoot up in the high 20's when I am rolling down hill with my foot completely off the throttle. it could be the vacuun booster for the brakes is leaking. It doesn't seem to be helping the brakes that much. I need to plug off that line and see if it helps. Another issue I am having is when I hook up the vacuum line to the secondary diagram it wants to runn away. Apparently the mecanism that prevents that is stuck an letting the secondary open up whenever it get vacuum regardles of the primary throttle position.

I may end up trying the other carb yet.

Later Man...
    Ed Systems
    Ed Systems

Post  Ed Systems Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:33 pm

G'day Dave!, good to see the little beast up and running!

I hope you get that carburettor sorted, I'd love to see a video of it!
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:16 pm

Hi mcbrat,

I thought I had the carb working but now it's back to it's old tricks and running like shit. I am very close to firing up the mig and the milling machine to build an adapter for a mice newly rebuilt Ford 2150 2V carb I have. Hopefully it won't be too much for it but it is worth a try as opposed to buying a $300.00 Weber carb. Hey, it's a Scoobygator, not a race car.

Later Man...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:06 am