Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

Who knows about 351-W engines???

Darkside Dave
    Admin

Who knows about 351-W engines???

Post  Darkside Dave on Thu May 14, 2009 9:11 am

Hi Folks,
    Part of my build plan for my '53 is to use a 351-W I removed from a working '83 F-150 4WD. Although it ran pretty well it does have a lot of grease and grime on it and indications of leaking seals and gaskets. I have decided to tear it down and do a rebuild. Right now I'm thinking rings, bearings and a valve job. If it needs bored I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. However, if it is within tolerance I won't mess with it. This engine currently has one of those variable venturi 2brl. carbs which I plan on doing away with. I have a Holley single plane aluminum manifold and a 650 double pumper for it. I am thinking of a crane RV cam, new lifters, high volume oil pump and I have a new set of headers for it,

My goal here is a decent performing engine. I don't want an all out performance job because it's just not that important or practical. I guess the best way to put it is that I want reliability that won't be embarrassing at the stop light. In my mind I think I have covered about everything I need to do and still keep this project on the low budget side.

I'm sure there are some of you out there that have had various degrees of experience with the 351-W. It has been a while for me. My last experience was in the '80s when I dropped a stock one in a '67 Galaxie 2DHT. I was always impressed by it considering it was stock from the junkyard and the Galaxie was a pretty good sized car. Any tips, ideas and suggestions will be welcome on this one. I doubt I will tear it down until Winter.

Later Folks...

Darkside Dave

Current date/time is Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:11 am