Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

5 posters

Big Trucks

wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

trucks - Big Trucks Empty Big Trucks

Post  wmjoe1953 Wed May 06, 2009 1:47 am

Well, thanks to Dave, I am here. Ahh, the subject of big trucks. Where to start. I have a 1953 Ford F-750/L-8000 semi. The body is from a 53 F-750, and a 74 L-8000 dump truck donated the chassis and power train. It's a tandem axle, full air brake truck. Caterpillar 1160 V-8 diesel, and a pair of Spicer trannies (5x4). So far, you cannot tell this truck is not original, until you look in the engine bay. That is the goal, to make it look like a factory truck. After I get aquainted with the site, and get the picture thing figured out, I'll put up some photos. I guess I am kind of the unofficial 48-56 Ford Big Job at the other forum I am part of.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

trucks - Big Trucks Empty Re: Big Trucks

Post  wmjoe1953 Wed May 06, 2009 1:54 am

Ok, there are a couple of pictures now.
    Lowlid
    Lowlid

Post  Lowlid Wed May 06, 2009 6:44 am

Wow, that's an impressive rig you've got there. What do you have planned for the truck when it's finished? With an engine like that, I assume you have some serious pulling or heavy loads in mind.

I like it!!!

Andrew
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

trucks - Big Trucks Empty Glad you made it !!!

Post  Darkside Dave Wed May 06, 2009 9:47 am

Hi Joe,
    Yep you are da Man... When you startposting pics, don't forget to show us a few shots under the hood. If you have any videos of it in action on YouTube they can be directly inserted in your posts.

Welcome and I'll be looking for you pics.

Latter Man...

Darkside Dave
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Wed May 06, 2009 3:41 pm

The plan for this truck is to make it very showable. I have compiled a list of "big rig" goodies, I'll be adding. Pair of 5" diameter x 8' tall chrome stacks, 18" "texas" bumper on the front. Polished aluminum full tandem rear fenders. Deck plating to cover the rear frame rails. Aluminum Merrit headache rack. I'm not going to be adding a commercial sized 5th wheel, but will be adding a rv sized 5th wheel and gooseneck hitch to it. I will also be adding a receiver hitch that will be hidden from view behind the rear bumper.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed May 06, 2009 5:06 pm

That'a what I call Darkside for big trucks. I hope you will be posting pics of the build so we can watch it go together.

Later Man...

Dave
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Wed May 06, 2009 10:50 pm

Stephen67
    Stephen67

Post  Stephen67 Thu May 07, 2009 9:44 pm

Hey I remember you from FTE ^_^

Sweet truck! Makes mine look small!
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Thu May 07, 2009 11:04 pm

Well of course. Seems to be a lot of FTE'ers over here. It is a big truck huh. Eye balling an even bigger one too.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:47 am

Got some more done to the beast last weekend. Got most all of the air lines in, and started hooking up the electrical. Some parts from Mid-Fifty arrived, and so I can finish installing the column, and gas tank. I put it up on ebay a few times, just to kind of see what interest it would bring, since listing in ebay motors is free. Got lots of compliments on the truck, and numerous watchers, but no offers. No big, always looking to find ways to buy and sell, even if it's the unfinsihed truck that has made me imfamous. It didn't go, so back to getting her rolling. If this damned weather would quit being stupid, I might get her moving within in the next weekend or two, but the skies have been falling apart on us here in Oregon. Last week, we had a hell of astorm battle through, and it got real ugly.....I mean mid west ugly. We had a squall line that built and built until it started forming funnel clouds, and at least two unconfirmed tornadoes. Man, it was ugly. I surely don't envy the folks that live in the mid west. Anyhow, it's been raining constantly, and hopefully it will break and I can get back to work. If not, it will wait until another day.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:45 am

wmjoe1953 wrote:Well of course. Seems to be a lot of FTE'ers over here. It is a big truck huh. Eye balling an even bigger one too.

Hmmm, wonder why that is ???
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:53 am

wmjoe1953 wrote: I put it up on ebay a few times, just to kind of see what interest it would bring, since listing in ebay motors is free. Got lots of compliments on the truck, and numerous watchers, but no offers.

Hey Joe,
    You just made a point there that I was not aware of. I didn't know ebay motors was listing for free. Has it always been that way or is that just some limited time thing they are doing? I listed a Lincoln SA-200 engine driven welder on there once for 4K and they charged me $40.00. I didn't get it sold either but I put it on Craig's List and sold in a few days. That made me hesitant to list any big ticket items there.

Later Man...
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:56 am

I'm guessing it's been that way for at least a few months. It used to be that on ebay motors, you would get dinged the insertion fee, and then turna around and get dinged the final value fee, which in the case of autos and trucks, is a lot higher than small hundred dollar type items. Plus, the insertion fee would get rediculous if, say you wanted a reserve of $50K. So, they charge a successful, listing fee, which I guess fro I am understanding, is a fixed amount fee of like $125 or $150. I could be worng on that, but I only got charged $1.00 listing the big truck, because I added an extra feature to the ad. Wow, there I go again, getting to the point, but taking the long way around.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:12 am

A bit off topic here Joe but this ebay thing has me curious because I am colse to finishing a project here, see:

https://darksidersrealm.forumotion.com/custom-home-built-f23/behold-the-work-of-a-twisted-mind-t16.htm

It has been my intention to sell this thing from the time I started to build it. I have a few people who "claim" they want first crack at it, but you know how that goes when push comes to shove. I want to sell ir as quick as possible because i want the money and the room for my two truck projects. If I could get a free listing on ebay I would do it just to test the water so to speak. I plan on a reservr price of 8.5K$ I don't want to pay them 10% to test the water.

Later Man...
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:24 pm

Yeah Dave, I listed the truck three times, and only got charged $1.00 for adding the reserve price option. Right now, there is no listing fees for ebay motors, at least for vehicles. I did get charged a listing fee when I listed parts though. So, whole vehicles, I am under the impression, are listing fee free right now.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:20 pm

wmjoe1953 wrote:Yeah Dave, I listed the truck three times, and only got charged $1.00 for adding the reserve price option. Right now, there is no listing fees for ebay motors, at least for vehicles. I did get charged a listing fee when I listed parts though. So, whole vehicles, I am under the impression, are listing fee free right now.

Hmmm, I wonder if that applies to off road vehicles too???
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:41 pm

I think, as long as you list it under "other vehicles" category, it should count. Try writing an ad up. There is a total cost counter at the bottom of the last page before actually confirming the listing.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:26 am

Back on to the subject of my truck. More pictures in the album.....check em out. If weather keeps holding, I may drive it in a few more weekends.
    dyoung14

Post  dyoung14 Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:23 am

thats a good looking rig, and an old v8 n/a cat, what were those horsepower and torque rating?
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:08 am

dyoung14 wrote:thats a good looking rig, and an old v8 n/a cat, what were those horsepower and torque rating?

Thanks....From what I'm finding out, this is the 210HP V-8, non-turbo, and it is rated at around 500 lb ft torque. It's mated to a 5 speed spicer main box, and a 4 speed spicer auxilliary, which seems to be a double under, direct, and over drive unit. It's getting real close to making it first trip down the street.
    dyoung14

Post  dyoung14 Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:48 pm

cool, my old 86 6.9 idi is rated at 175 hp and 320 torque, right now with the modifications i think i would be making close to 220hp at the crank maybe 360 ftlbs torque, but i also have a custom turbo setup that i have been working on and all i lack is the downpipe clamp, i used a wastegated garrett turbo with a .84 exausthousing from a 2000 model 7.3 powerstroke, hopping it will bring my old truck to life Twisted Evil
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:28 pm

So, I've been slowly making progress. I was able to test the air system, finally, and found a couple leaks to fix. No biggy, that's what the game is all about. I have a few more pictures in my gallery link in my signature. I'm sure some of you may have noticed the the other thread in the annoucnements section. My truck is going to be given a spot on Power Block TV in August. It will only be pictures, and only be about 30-45 seconds long, but it's still cool. Courtney Hansen will be narrating a brief interview I had to give to Johns Kurtz, the Executive Producer. Make sure you all watch in August. I'll post up the date, and Dakside Dave is going to send out an announcement e-mail when I have the air date.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:04 am

A few more photos have been added to my photo bucket account. Check em out. I got a little more done to it. I installed a clutch rod, but the clutch is a bit heavy to push. I plumbed the fuel system, and chased a rat out of the engine comparment. I added a couple gallons of fuel, and tested the ignition system. After about 8 seconds crank time to pump fuel, she lit right off. Last weekend, I trimmed out the upper hood locking panel, and the air deflectors, and gravel pan for radiator clearance. All and all, I may be hitting the streets with it either this weekend or next.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:10 am

Waiting on parts that haven't arrived yet, so I am getting delayed in my maiden run up the street. I could possibly run it without changing the air brake foot valve, but the idea of a leak in the air brake system doesn't excite me. So, I'll be impatient, mmmmmm, patient, and wait and get some of the other stuff done first. Dang it, I hate waiting. Well, all and all, it should be driving soon. After I get it drivable, I am going to sell it. I really want to use it as a jumping off point for my next big truck project. If I can, I'll be parting ways with the 48, and hoping some one will take the big rig too. Assuming best case scenario (getting what I want in the way of price), I'll be able to kick $800 to my dad to pick up a pair of 55 Big Jobs in Nevada, both are in very restorable shape, and then pick up a few other rigs as well, including the stuff I would need to start the next semi build. Wishful thinking right now, so maybe wishes will come true.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:55 pm

Wow, I just realized how little I've updated this thread. Anyhow, I got a Cummins 5.9 (there's another thread for that). I'm getting rid of the 3 speed auto out of the Cummins donor, and parting ways with the trannies out of the Big Job. I scored an Allison AT545 4 speed and all the parts to attach it to the Cummins. So, the Big Job will be a mildly modded 5.9 powered unit, with a 4 speed automatic. I'm still going the route of single 5" stack off the right rear corner. I guess, i should of posted long ago, that I drove the truck, and it popped the top on the Cat. That's about all I have to add at this point.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:45 am