Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

2 posters

1973 CHEVY SHORT BED STEP SIDE automatic / frame swap

gunnit
    gunnit

1973 - 1973 CHEVY SHORT BED STEP SIDE automatic / frame swap Empty 1973 CHEVY SHORT BED STEP SIDE automatic / frame swap

Post  gunnit Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:05 am

I have a question: I have a 1973 Chevy short bed 1/2 ton truck. I ran over a pothole in the rain and came up with a bent frame and a crack on the steering wheel box where it bolds up to frame. I now need to replace the frame and learned that the Chevy/GMC 1973-1987 frame is same style. But I don't want the same type of frame if it bends that easily. Is there a newer frame which would swap onto the '73 Chevy body? I would like to roll on a better/safer chassis/power brakes, steering and a better suspension setup to boot. Can you please help me out with information on what newer frame car/truck/suv or other truck would swap to my '73 Chevy body?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank You,

Hector

58 ford
    58 ford

1973 - 1973 CHEVY SHORT BED STEP SIDE automatic / frame swap Empty Re: 1973 CHEVY SHORT BED STEP SIDE automatic / frame swap

Post  58 ford Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:58 pm

HI Hector
    The only frame that will fit that truck is 73 to 87.
    If it were me i would stick to 73 to 79 frames i have had a few of these trucks and i found those years heavier!
    I think what happened to you was a fluke , And i would not condem all frames in those years.
    Good luck
    Andrew
    gunnit
    gunnit

1973 - 1973 CHEVY SHORT BED STEP SIDE automatic / frame swap Empty Re: 1973 CHEVY SHORT BED STEP SIDE automatic / frame swap

Post  gunnit Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:48 am

58 ford wrote:HI Hector
    The only frame that will fit that truck is 73 to 87.
    If it were me i would stick to 73 to 79 frames i have had a few of these trucks and i found those years heavier!
    I think what happened to you was a fluke , And i would not condem all frames in those years.
    Good luck
    Andrew
    Thank you,Andrew this is good information. I have been looking for a frame for a long time. I was just about to give up on the whole thing, but now I think I'll keep on looking for a frame. I like my 73' chevy truck. I'll try to post some picture as soon as I get a frame and start the frame swap on it.
    Thanks again,

Hector

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 pm