Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

+5
scrapheap51
jclars
Darkside Dave
58 ford
Duke55
9 posters

Chopped 55 F100

Duke55
    Duke55

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 Empty Chopped 55 F100

Post  Duke55 Thu May 05, 2011 8:57 pm

Better Late Than Never!

The following pictures show the current status of the build.

Truck’s History: This truck was purchased by my grandpa in the late 50's or early 60's. He used it for hauling his race car to the track. He chopped it in 1962 and painted it candy red. The top was chopped such that all the windows were the same height and at the same elevation. The rear of the cab was canted fwd and the door canted in so the roof was unmodified. He gave the truck to my dad when he turned 15. My dad painted it silver with black scallops and installed stacks and quad canted headlights. Sometime in the early 80's my dad quit driving it for its final ground up rebuild. Not much progress was made since he had a family to raise. About 10 yrs ago he reached a time in his life that he could start working of the truck. Him and I fabricated a new bed box with tonneau cover, installed a 1990 Mustang MAF EFI motor, plumbed the fuel and braking systems and did a bolt up Volare installation. Then at age 54 my dad passed away in his sleep unexpectedly from a blood clot in his lungs. I brought the truck to my house about 10 months ago to finish for him. I frenched in caddy tail-lights in the rear fenders, pie cut the hood 1.5", straightened the side window channel for a one-piece glass, frenched in a Harley Davidson gas cap, installed the 8.8 mustang rear end with Lincoln discs and triangulated 4 link, C-channeled the frame, filled and modified the dash for gauges, and nearly completed all of the body work (except for the front fenders and valance).

Soon I will be ordering a Mustang II IFS with bags to go in place of the Volare and installing bags on the rear. I will be fabbing up quad canted headlights with a custom grille and valance. I also plan to move the front axle centerline fwd about 4.5".

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_6027

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_6028

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_6029

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_6031

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_6032

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_6034

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_6033

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_6035

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_6040

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_6039

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_6038

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_6037

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_6036

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_6030

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_6041

58 ford
    58 ford

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 Empty RE BETTER LATE THEN NEVER

Post  58 ford Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:15 pm

Hey Duke55
    Iam surprised no one replied on this post sooner!!
    I have also been guilty of not posting alot latley Very Happy .
    I like the story of the truck , to bad your dad cant particapate in the project,But i bet he is watching and rooting you on!

I like how the body mods have been done. Have you made any progress over the summer?
    If you have post some pics i would like to see them!
    Later Andrew
    Duke55
    Duke55

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 Empty Re: Chopped 55 F100

Post  Duke55 Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:27 am

Since my last post I finished filling in the dash, significantly modified the valance, fab’d new radiator support, installed canted headlights and custom grille, moved the front wheel wells fwd 4.25”, installed mustang II with air bags front and rear, installed tilt hood kit, bucket seats, bear claw latches, fab’d center console, started fab on running boards, primed blocked and re-primed body, installed wheels and tires, remounted motor and trans with IFS, switched from efi to carbureted, installed tilt steering column and had the body on and off the frame at least 5 times.

Currently working on linear actuator lift for the tonneau cover, hinged floor in the bed for access to air ride and battery, die to press 12.5” louvers in the tonneau cover that match louvers on back of roof, and finalizing the exhaust so the running boards can be finished. I can now say no panel has been left untouched (most have been significantly modified).

I plan to start the motor up this winter and to be ready for paint by late spring.

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_6823

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_7186

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_6821

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_6978

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_7183

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_7184

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_7182
    58 ford
    58 ford

Post  58 ford Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:27 am

Hey Duke

This is one hell of a nice project,Keep up the nice work and keep us posted.
    Cant wait to see the finished project!
    Andrew
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 Empty A late welcome and a fantastic job...

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:44 am

Hi Duke,
    Man am I embarrassed... I don't know how I missed your post. First of allI'm going to make your build thread a STICKY so it will be up top of the forum with the rest of the build threads. Next I am going to include a link to it in the weekend news letter. I hope you will accept my apology for not missing your post and not doing this earlier.. Boy is my face RED...

I see you have been with us for quite a while now but I'm not sure I sent you a Welcome letter when you joined. If I did not please accept my apology and also my thanks for posting such a great thread.

I am a great fan of the 53 thru 56 F-series trucks and although I can appreciate the work that goes into the pure restorations, but my real love is for the resto-mods and the radical customs. Your progress is putting me to shame. I love the touches you have added to the body and that rolled back bed is really cool. Everything I see that you have done is really top grade work. I can't wait to see more.

Later Man...

Darkside Dave

Last edited by Darkside Dave on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
    jclars
    jclars

Post  jclars Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:19 pm

Some radical work there! Fun to see the progress pics even if we are just catching up. Good quality stuff, I am not going so radical but some shaving was already done on m 56 project, so I will go from there. Just hope I can do as good a job as you on a less complex build! Keep us posted.

Dave, I wonder if you skipped that extra link "What kind of truck?" and went direct to the postings from "Trucks" whether new posts would be more visible? This is a great forum, and it appears views are active, but for some reason, not a lot of postings going on. Ha! Maybe everyone else is busy in there shop while just a couple of us are sitting on our computers!
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:33 pm

jclars wrote:Some radical work there! Fun to see the progress pics even if we are just catching up. Good quality stuff, I am not going so radical but some shaving was already done on m 56 project, so I will go from there. Just hope I can do as good a job as you on a less complex build! Keep us posted.

Dave, I wonder if you skipped that extra link "What kind of truck?" and went direct to the postings from "Trucks" whether new posts would be more visible? This is a great forum, and it appears views are active, but for some reason, not a lot of postings going on. Ha! Maybe everyone else is busy in there shop while just a couple of us are sitting on our computers!

jclars,

Your idea about switching things around a bit is a good one but I'm afraid if I do it will mess up the thread notifications. Unfortunately one of the things about this board software is that it requires a category then a forum title and then threads. It won't let you just have categories and threads. It wasn't something I became truly aware of until after I started working with it. I hope you are right about everybody being too busy working in their shops to post stuff but I think it's mostly a case of not having enough people who are willing to put up with the learning curve and the hassle of doing the posting. It's not all that big of a deal after you get it figured out but a lot of car guys just don't want to mess with it. If you look at some of these boards with thousands of members you will see that there are only a few hundred doing the posting. It was my hope that making this a place for build threads would inspire more posting. So far it hasn't worked that way. But hey, I keep hoping that increasing numbers will work into more frequent posting. The guys we have here that are posting are doing some really great stuff and I am glad to have them here with us.

Later Man...

Darkside Dave

scrapheap51
    scrapheap51

Post  scrapheap51 Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:36 pm

Wow Duke!
    That is awsome! How do you guys do it? I mean Come up with ideas like that. I sit and look at my panel and all i draw is a blank. Any how very cool looking ride. Thanks for showing it to us for us to enjoy!
    stevof1
    stevof1

Post  stevof1 Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:05 pm

Very cool project, and kept in the family for three generations all adding to it and using it. This just never happens anymore. Very cool mods, and great that you are continuing in the family footsteps before you. You must come from a line of very talented hot rodders!
    Duke55
    Duke55

Post  Duke55 Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:02 pm

Thanks for the great replies. I have thought non-stop about this truck for the last year and a half on how I am going to surpass everything my dad dreamed this truck could be (stressful since he has been dreaming about finishing this truck for nearly 40 years). In doing so, I have pushed myself to think outside the box and do mods outside of my comfort zone. It has been a good learning experience. Below are a couple more pictures showing the engine compartment, dash with gages and hinged tonneau cover and floor.

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_7196

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_7204

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_7199

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_7201

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_7202
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 Empty Soooo COOL !!!

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:22 pm

Hey Duke,

Man that thing is so cool and I am so glad you decided to post your build thread here. Not only is it a cool project but stuff like that adds credibility to our forum and message board. I know that there are probably hundreds if not thousands of guys out there doing stuff like you and the others here. I just wish the word would get out more and attract them to post here.

Later Man...

Dave
    jclars
    jclars

Post  jclars Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:30 am

That is a future show winner! What are you visualizing for color(s) and detailing?

(Quick Dave, get a Darksider's Realm bumper sticker on it!)

Oh, I guess it doesnt have bumpers...

John L.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 Empty How about a window sticker or a dash Plaque ???

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:04 am

jclars wrote:That is a future show winner! What are you visualizing for color(s) and detailing?

John L.

Actually that's not a bad idea... This being a non profit board I would have to shell out the money for anything like that. But I might find a way to get it done. Maybe we could have a little contest here on the board to have the members submit the best design. I could even change the header picture to it if we come up with a good one.

Later Man...

Darkside Dave
    Duke55
    Duke55

Post  Duke55 Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:59 pm

jclars wrote:That is a future show winner! What are you visualizing for color(s) and detailing?

John L.

Original plan was a candy brandy and a bright red candy ranging from a simple two-tone, scallops or a wild multi-layer flame job. Since then I have been leaning towards a clean two tone black bottom half and candy brandy top half (can never go wrong with simple/clean two tone). This would definately simplify the paint work and allow for a cleaner end product (and easy tough up) since most of the panels would be painted in pieces (better suited for the trucks geometry). You never know until paint day if ghost scallops will be in the mix or not. Then I will save the wild multi-layer flame job that I have had kicking around in my for a while now for the next project that has body panels better suited for long drawn out flames.

Duke55
    Duke55

Post  Duke55 Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:04 pm

Roughed in the running board filler panels on both sides and masked some quick scallops since the previous post got me thinking about paint schemes again. The more I look at the scallops the more they grow on me. Going to order the material for the louver die this week and have made some progress on the direction I am going with the exhaust.

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_7370

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_7372

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_7374

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_7375

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_7377

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_7376
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:59 am

You continue to entertain and amaze with your build thread. It will be interesting to see what you come up with for a paint scheme.

Darkside Dave
    stevof1
    stevof1

Post  stevof1 Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:38 pm

Like the running boards! The scallops are always a personal choice so if you want them then I say go for it. I like the two tone paint idea too. Trucks comming along very nicely.
    charger
    charger

Post  charger Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:05 am

WOW!!! what a build!!! love everything about it! keep up the good work!
    Duke55
    Duke55

Post  Duke55 Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:59 pm

I thought many of you would appreciate the posting of the picture below. It is the only picture I have found of the truck when my grandpa owned it. This picture was take in 1965 at a car show by a friend of my grandpa's. Recently after my grandpa passed away, his friend that took the picture dug it up and gave it to us. As you can see from the picture the truck had already been chopped and had a 1962 Rambler grille installed upside down with canted quad headlights.

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 1965picture
    58 ford
    58 ford

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 Empty Re old pic

Post  58 ford Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:47 am

Hey Duke

Thats a cool old pic, I like the the old school rims and tires!!
    Big white wall tires are something i always liked.
    Your project is realy coming along well.
    Andrew
    Duke55
    Duke55

Post  Duke55 Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:59 pm

Finally got a chance to work on the truck. The linear actuators are now installed and functioning. Then I got a wild idea to fab an all metal headliner, so I cut the roof off of one of my parts trucks and went to town. It is fully welded and ready for lots of grinding.

You can also see in the background my garage is dirtier then usual, I have my daily driver truck tore apart (waiting for parts to show up) to replace the input shaft on the transfer case and my snowmobile tore apart (waiting for back ordered gasket to show up) to fix a defective drive bearing.

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_7428

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_7429

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_7427

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG_7426
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:13 pm

Hi Duke,

That's kind of cool. How did you happen to think of doing that? So is it going to have some sort of wild graphics painted on it?

Later Man...

Darkside Dave
    jclars
    jclars

Post  jclars Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:04 am

Hey Duke, lookin' great. BTW, in your last pic, what is the big honkin' fishing pole holder in the front right hand corner of the bed?

John L.
    Duke55
    Duke55

Post  Duke55 Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:48 am

Darkside Dave wrote:
    Hi Duke,

That's kind of cool. How did you happen to think of doing that? So is it going to have some sort of wild graphics painted on it?

Later Man...

Darkside Dave

I was trying to figure out the best way to make the headliner board to upholster when it came to me. Figured I might as well stick to what I know and have something drastically different in the end. Currently no plans for wild graphics.
    Duke55
    Duke55

Post  Duke55 Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:17 am

jclars wrote:Hey Duke, lookin' great. BTW, in your last pic, what is the big honkin' fishing pole holder in the front right hand corner of the bed?

John L.

The "fishing pole holder" is a scrap piece of 4" exhaust tubing I cut and placed on the bed caps to get an idea how a set of fat stubby stacks would look. I have a set being mandrel bent at a local shop that will pass through the kick plate/lower bed just above the running boards then turn up and pass through the bed caps. Just after passing through the bed caps the tube tips will be bent towards the back 60 degrees and rotated to the outside of the truck 30 degree with some sort of wild cut end. The tip will be 6-10 inches above the bed caps. I like the idea enough to have them made but they have to look dam good before I will commit to cutting the bed up. If the stacks are too over the top I will not use them, hopefully they are just another detail that looks like they should have came on it. Below is a scanned image of the stack I modeled. It is a step better than me trying to explain it but does not show them in the right orientation.

wheel - Chopped 55 F100 IMG

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:19 pm