Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

+2
low54
Lowlid
6 posters

Roll Pan Fabrication

Lowlid
    Lowlid

cool - Roll Pan Fabrication Empty Roll Pan Fabrication

Post  Lowlid Mon May 04, 2009 8:08 am

During the bed fabrication, I also started to construct the roll pan. I wasn't sure what I was after on the pan other than I wanted it to blend to the bed, be even with the bottom of the rear fenders, and be removable.

cool - Roll Pan Fabrication Truck8

When the bed was being constructed, I clamped the fenders into position so that I could determine how to make the stake pockets sweep down even with the fender bottoms.

cool - Roll Pan Fabrication IMG_2008-1

I positioned a flange at the lower part of the stake pocket that would allow the pan to be bolted on. The flange was positioned where the pan would be flush with the stake pocket. Initially I intended to bolt the pan on with polished button head bolts, but later decided to weld studs on the pan so that nothing would show.

cool - Roll Pan Fabrication January2008126

Next I fabbed a box that would be used to recess the license plate. Also gave me a chance to play some more with my new tig welder.

cool - Roll Pan Fabrication Buildpics028

I made a template that would allow me to check my progress when forming the curve to the roll pan.

cool - Roll Pan Fabrication Buildpics030

I used my slip roller to form the curve to the pan. I varied the tension on the roller to achieve the irregular curve to the pan. By using the roller I had to make the pan in two pieces since the pan was wider than my slip roll.

cool - Roll Pan Fabrication January2008121

After welding the two pan halves together, I measured to cut in the license plate box.

cool - Roll Pan Fabrication January2008125

Pan cut out ready to weld in the box.

cool - Roll Pan Fabrication January2008127

Checking proper angle to weld the box at.

When I got to this stage, I actually went back and fabbed a second pan. My thinking was that the first pan would probably get too screwed up to be usable. Things don't always go as planned.

Now I had to decide what type of tail lights to use. I'll post more pictures and details later.........

Andrew
    low54
    low54

cool - Roll Pan Fabrication Empty Re: Roll Pan Fabrication

Post  low54 Mon May 04, 2009 10:40 am

Great work, and excellent pictures, well thought out. It gives me an idea how I want to proceed!
    Lowlid
    Lowlid

Post  Lowlid Mon May 04, 2009 7:35 pm

low54 wrote:Great work, and excellent pictures, well thought out. It gives me an idea how I want to proceed!

I have to force myself to stop and take pictures. Lately I grab a camera as I head to the shop so its handy when I need it. I hope that all of the posters on this site start including pictures. There's some great ideas floating around out there. Let's see-um!!

Andrew
    Lowlid
    Lowlid

cool - Roll Pan Fabrication Empty Roll pan fab. continued

Post  Lowlid Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:19 am

As I said in an earlier post, I built a second roll pan thinking that the first would probably be scrap. As it turned out the first one, although not perfect, will be usable.

In trying to decide what kind of tail light I wanted in the first roll pan, I looked at trailer lights, (no good) went to salvage yards and found nothing I liked, then finally went to a Kenworth dealership that had a showroom full of custom stuff for big rigs. They had a ton of chrome stuff, all kinds of lights, and lots of stuff I didn't even know was available for these trucks. Anyway I found a variety of lights and decided on some glass bullet shaped lenses with stainless bezels.

cool - Roll Pan Fabrication FabricationphotosofF100013

Since I wanted a tunneled look with these lights, I rolled 4 tubes and welded in a base on each. I wasn't sure how deep I wanted the lights to sit, so I made the tubes deeper than I thought they needed to be.

cool - Roll Pan Fabrication FabricationphotosofF100011

After doing the layout on the roll pan, I grabbed my trusty old drill with the correct size hole saw and cut the four holes for the tubes.

cool - Roll Pan Fabrication F100buildresize9

Slipped the tubes in the holes. Looked ok but I wanted to see it outside the garage.

cool - Roll Pan Fabrication FabricationphotosofF100006

With the truck outside I get a better idea of how it will look. Sometimes I kind of lose perspective of how something is going to look when I'm confined in the garage.

cool - Roll Pan Fabrication F-100Pics006

After I got all the tubes lined up, I welded them up. I left part of each tube sticking out since I might want to form a lip around each opening instead of grinding them off flush. I made the socket bases for the lights so that I could adjust how deep they will sit in each tunnel. In this photo I have one of the lights installed. Sorry I never made a photo at this stage with all four lights installed.

cool - Roll Pan Fabrication IMG_0918

Of course I had to throw a little power to it and see how it would look lit up.

cool - Roll Pan Fabrication IMG_0922

cool - Roll Pan Fabrication IMG_0920

I have some refraction film that I'm going to apply to the socket base to brighten them up some more. I may look into using led lights.

Now all I have to do is a lot of grinding, some plastic filler, a lot of sanding, and priming, and sanding, and priming.............Have I mentioned by any chance...That I HATE GRINDING AND SANDING!!!!!! I know that it's necessary and a great paint job depends on it, but I still hate it.

Now all I got to do is figure out what I'm going to do with the other roll pan... I threw the question out on the FTE forum for suggestions, but never got anything that really tripped my trigger. I may just cut slits in it and mount leds on the backside.

I'll update later...........

Andrew
    sinndustrial
    sinndustrial

Post  sinndustrial Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:30 am

[size=18][size=12]i have to say, im definetely digging the semi tail light solution, but here was my 50 dollar auto zone solution on my ranger i did:cool - Roll Pan Fabrication Ranger10
    i just shaved my old tail lights , cut a slot in the bottom of my tail gate and welded in a sleeve that fit, then i screwed the tail light strips into place and wired them up.
    Lowlid
    Lowlid

Post  Lowlid Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:46 pm

Well I'll be damned!!!!! I posted this thread about 6 months ago and low54 responded and it was dead silence until now. Thanks for the response sinndustrial.

Tell me about the lights you used. Are they for running lights and brake/turn? They look sort of like the led lights that were called Line of Fire, that were marketed to go under the tail gate area as additional lighting. I considered those for my second roll pan, but as of now I haven't made a decision on the type of light to use.

Please excuse my initial response, but when you spend a lot of time posting pictures and info on a fabrication project, you generally expect response, either negative or positive and I'm open to either.

Andrew
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:17 pm

Hi Andrew,
    I actually looked at you stuff when you posted it but for some reason I didn't get around to replying. That's probably because I thought I did when I replied to something else. Just guessing... However, I'm here now and better late than never. Sinndustrial is a new member here and I believe he's making his way around the board and checking stuff out. I also saw that there was another new member sign on today. So, you may get another late reply.

I would also like to say that you did a great job with the pictures and the work. Sorry it took so long.

Later Man...

tomget
    tomget

cool - Roll Pan Fabrication Empty Andrew's fab

Post  tomget Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:23 am

Hey Andrew

Thanks for the build up text and photos of the rear roll pan +. Really cool looking work your doing. I wish I were as painstaking in my fab layout work as you. I've got a rolled pan on my 48IH that I made. And its fine but I did a funky job compared to your pro work. I'm gonna have to try harder. I appreciate your recording all. The next guy will have it easy when he starts out with your plan etc. I didn't see it until now. I guess I just wasn't looking. There are a lot of different sections at this site, and that's a good thing I just have to remember to look around.

Good luck Tom
    low54
    low54

Post  low54 Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:45 pm

hey lowlid, Your tail lights turned out really great!...I've been out of the loop for quite a awhile...My project is at a stand still for now but, I'll check in from time to time...again your project is lookin great
    DL BOGART
    DL BOGART

cool - Roll Pan Fabrication Empty taillights are cool

Post  DL BOGART Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:44 pm

Great idea,looking at big truck parts, I used trailer lights on a '57 chevy pickup I built a few tears back, but something like you found would have been much better!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:27 am