Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

Here ah is!!

DL BOGART

Here ah is!!

Post  DL BOGART on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:42 am

Just another old fart who thinks he's still a kid. Trying to do some tradin' for a 50 something willys wagon to modernize with ranger/exploder 4x4 running gear. Found one today, but don't know if I can make it happen or not, gotta spend some money getting my daughter a deer gun for next year, and keep my old junker '87 ranger goin' 'til I can get it improved or build a replacement ranger. Found enough parts to do that at the same place as the willys, but those are also the parts I want for the willys. I guess the best plan would be to get it all, put that ranger back together and put the willys on the one I'm driving now. then i'd haffta come up with another 4.0 because my wore out 2.9 barely hauls the ranger, let alone the willys. Then there's my wife to consider.....No they won't take her in trade..... Not that I'm really willing to give her up!
    I work as the maintenence man for a very small town, I am the water/sewer operator, garbage man, street maint, snowplow driver-ecerything but the dog catcher. I ahve only held this position for a little over a year. My previous experience run the gamut from motorcycle mechanic to auto mechanic to truck driver, and my chosen trade Machinist. I worked in a cnc shop for 6 years just before my current job, and the only reason I changed well 2 reasons, first being state retirement, the second is being out of the coolant fumes and constant noise of the machine shop. But I often wish I still had access to a better lathe than my antique one when I need to make a part to fix smoe of my junk! Oh for a bridgeport mill in the corner of the garage, and a lathe that will turn over 200 rpm and cut threads without going through a bucket of gears and hoping the right one is there....I also had 3 different stints as an exhaust bender/installer. That was probably the most enjoyable job I ever had. Just something about "eyeball engineering" that has always appealed to me. Wish I had a hoist and bender and a better mig welder at home too! If you read the bug deflector on my old blazer, it says: "CRUDE BUT EFFECTIVE!!" That speaks volumes about who I am!!
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Welcome...

Post  Darkside Dave on Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:56 am

Hi DL,

Welcome to our little corner of the web. Glad you could make it... I think you'll fit right in here.

You sound like me in your never ending quest for tools and equipment. But I do have that Brifgeport in the shop though. I think it's on this board someplace. Look at thye section for shops and tools.

If you get time surf arond the board and check out some of the other folks on here. Usually if you reply to any of their posts they will get back to you. We are not a big group but we have guys on here from Canada, New Zealand, Austraiia nd the UK as well as the good old USA. So far I don't think we have anyone on here from Alaska and I think that's odd as I'm sure there are some folks up there that woulf fit right in.

I've not been to Montana but I would like to get up in that area sometime. I'm here is SE Ohio but where I am looks more like West Virginia, it's just across the river from me.

OK, I gotta go and tend to some other stuff. Oncer again, welcome and enjoy the board. Bring some friends along if you can.

Later Man...

Re: Here ah is!!

Post  Kaptn' Obvious on Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:15 am

*Peeks out of cave*

Another Machinist! WELCOME to the board.

I'd stay and chat, but I'm a little busy making plastic snow...

If you need any machine work done just let me know?
    stevof1

Post  stevof1 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:07 pm

Hey DL welcome. I figure using the old truck frame while fixing the one you need for a daily driver is a good plan. When your ready to make the switch, you can pull from the daily and put into the Willys. Maybe pick up a beater to fill the gap and sell when you don't need it anymore.
    I'm working on a 48 F1, that is almost ready to roll, mostly waiting ong body and paint work which I lack skill in, so I'm dragging a bit right now, but plan to get it at least painted on the inside of the cab, so I can finish the wiring, and then take it on the road to iron out any kinks that may be hiding from me!
    DL BOGART

Post  DL BOGART on Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:10 pm

Don't know how it got me in Montana, I'm in Thermopolis Wyoming. About 200 miles south of Billings Montana nearly dead center in Wyo. Thanks for all the welcomes. The daily driver is just a beater, so I have some thinkin to do, IF I can even get them both. Might just get them both and cut the '93 ranger cab (it's really no nicer than my '87, and has a busted windsheild) and do like D - Dave is doing with his old ford, then i can have all the ac stuff as well as the engine harness there. That 3.8 sc engine would be nice too, but that's more work and expense than I think I can muster right now. Other thought is put the 4.0 in my '87 with the harness etc. from the '93 and get a small v8 for the other project - maybe a tbi 305 chevy with an auto trans so the little woman could drive it too - NAAAAH! Would be an easier swap probably, not having to worry about clutch etc, but with the ranger firewall the master cyl should still be there...Some body said something about wisshy one day, washy the the next...This part of wyoming was once under the control of the shoshoni indians led by chief Washakie. My daughter went to a girl scout camp called camp wishy washakie.... Maybe I got it from living here!
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:17 pm

Hey I was close... Just a state away...

I've been accused of being wishy washy too. Not true, somtimes I'm wishy, sometimes I'm washy. NEVER at the same time...

Later Man...

Post  stevof1 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:28 pm

DL BOGART wrote:Don't know how it got me in Montana, I'm in Thermopolis Wyoming. About 200 miles south of Billings Montana nearly dead center in Wyo. Thanks for all the welcomes. The daily driver is just a beater, so I have some thinkin to do, IF I can even get them both. Might just get them both and cut the '93 ranger cab (it's really no nicer than my '87, and has a busted windsheild) and do like D - Dave is doing with his old ford, then i can have all the ac stuff as well as the engine harness there. That 3.8 sc engine would be nice too, but that's more work and expense than I think I can muster right now. Other thought is put the 4.0 in my '87 with the harness etc. from the '93 and get a small v8 for the other project - maybe a tbi 305 chevy with an auto trans so the little woman could drive it too - NAAAAH! Would be an easier swap probably, not having to worry about clutch etc, but with the ranger firewall the master cyl should still be there...Some body said something about wisshy one day, washy the the next...This part of wyoming was once under the control of the shoshoni indians led by chief Washakie. My daughter went to a girl scout camp called camp wishy washakie.... Maybe I got it from living here!
    Wow I've actually been through Thermopolis in the summertime. It lives up to it's name! Man it was hot there. I used to work out of Cody, during the summer, and traveled through your town every year. I think there was a A&W with a bowling alley in it if I remember right?
    DL BOGART

Post  DL BOGART on Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:47 pm

You remember well, A&W Lanes, was owned by Phil & Mary Lou Witt. They have since retired and sold it out to their son Glenn. Thermoplis is hot city, for the hot springs. Did you ever get to the pools on your way through? We get to cody a few times a year on pilgrimages to the walmart. Went through on the way to the kids' first visit to yellowstone this past summer. can't say as I've ever been to your town, we went to Bakersfield abot 8 years ago, my wife has a sister, brother in law and niece who is married with grown children there, as well as an uncle on her dads side. We went through utah, then to Vegas, barstow etc. The in laws took us to Knotts' berry farm too.
    I spent the afternoon rebuilding my 15 speed mountain bike into an 18 speed with entirely found materials - the perks of working as a garbage man!
    58 ford

Post  58 ford on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 am

HI and welcome

Sounds like we another one with lots of projects,and a sense of humour Smile .
    The board seems to be starting to p\u a few more ,that should mean we should start seeing alot of different ideas. Dont be shy and post away on other topics!!
    Glad too have you here!!
    Later Andrew

Post  stevof1 on Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:12 pm

DL BOGART wrote:You remember well, A&W Lanes, was owned by Phil & Mary Lou Witt. They have since retired and sold it out to their son Glenn. Thermoplis is hot city, for the hot springs. Did you ever get to the pools on your way through? We get to cody a few times a year on pilgrimages to the walmart. Went through on the way to the kids' first visit to yellowstone this past summer. can't say as I've ever been to your town, we went to Bakersfield abot 8 years ago, my wife has a sister, brother in law and niece who is married with grown children there, as well as an uncle on her dads side. We went through utah, then to Vegas, barstow etc. The in laws took us to Knotts' berry farm too.
    I spent the afternoon rebuilding my 15 speed mountain bike into an 18 speed with entirely found materials - the perks of working as a garbage man!
    Just passed thru and grabbed a bite to eat. We used to do summer kids adventure/travel trips. They Flew into Denver and we'd drive down from Cody, pick them up and proceed to travel 7500 miles in 7 1/2 weeks, going backpacking, white water rafting, rock climbing and even ice climbing on Ranier. Boy those were the days of fun and no worries! Back then I had a 84 CJ7, that never got stuck anywhere!(But I guess there were problems like smog devices that didn't work well, and being a bit poorer financially, but I never worried about a thing, just enjoyed life.
    DL BOGART

Post  DL BOGART on Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:09 pm

Boy weren't those the days!! Back then I had a '73 blazer - the one on my profile pic, no wife nor kids and all the time in the world! I had no smpg devices to be concerned with either. Had a few buddies with 4x4s who I went out in the toolies and took turns getting stuck. Everything from mini trucks to a cj/5 to 1 tons. each had it's strong points, as well as its' weak ones. The cj/5 was the most unstickable, but the amx 390 in it was known to twist the frame beyond the breaking point, as well as the tranny. A turbo 400 eliminted the clutch foot and helped both those concerns considerably.
    kiwiford

Longest trtavelled welcome....so far

Post  kiwiford on Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:19 pm

Welcome to the darkside form down under.....New Zealand, every one here is super friendly, you'll enjoy it I'm sure....good to see another blue oval man!!
    DL BOGART

Blue oval

Post  DL BOGART on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:37 am

I'm actually a newcomer to the ford world, I used to hate them! I am deep down an Oldsmobile fan, and ran GMC trucks for decades (because Olds - not counting R.E.O.- hasn't made them since the 20s), and still have one. I recently got interested in ford rangers because of the simplicity of the TTB front end as opposed to the more sufistokated (Read complicated) IFS designs for 4x4s. That and I found one for a hundred bucks when my $50 Subaru brat proved to be too small for the job. I am also impressed that fomoco turned down the federal welfare check and subsequent govt. takeover that GM and Chrysler fell for. My daughter (now 12) is still having a hard time adjusting to all this since the first complete sentence I taught her was "I DO NOT LIKE FORDS" If I was of the LDS faith I would say I "had a new revelation", but since I am a Bible believer only I can't use that excuse.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:54 am