Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

2 posters

What did you get done this Summer???

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

What did you get done this Summer??? Empty What did you get done this Summer???

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:53 pm

Hi Folks,

It's quickly approaching Labor day here in the USA and usually regarded as the official end of Summer. School started today here where I live. I know that for a number of us who have projects that Summer is the time when a lot of the work gets done. That is especially the case for those of us who are limited to inside heated working space. In my case I only have so much inside room and there are a lot of things like sandblasting that I have to do outside. With the above in mind I thought it might be a good idea to take a poll here and see what you folks have accomplished on projects or acquiring new projects and parts. I'll start out with what I have done, (or didn't get done), and get the ball rolling here.

You can go to https://darksidersrealm.forumotion.com/what-kind-of-truck-f4/first-53-build-thread-t204-90.htm which is the last of seven pages on my build thread for details so I won't re-hash the details here. Instead I'll concentrate on what I wanted to get done and what I actually accomplished.

I don't know that I had a hard list in mind of things to get done in the Summer but I did know that there were certain things I'd better get done when I had the right weather. One of my problems here is that I keep the donor vehicles down back and when it gets into the rainy and cold months it is not a good idea to be dragging them in. It wouldn't take muck to turn the back yard into a muddy mess. So, I have to either do that sort of stuff in the dry Summer months or wait until it is hard frozen with no snow. Back in April when I acquired the T-Bird SC for a donor I started giving some thought to what I could get done in the Summer months. I kept the SC in my enclosed trailer so that was not a real issue. I did know that I had a lot of work to do outside getting the rolling chassis and cab work that required fitting the cab to the Explorer floor pan and firewall. All this needed to be done outside because of space required. So, I did get the cab put together and I have it so it bolts down to the Explorer chassis. That was my first major achievement. Next was getting the SC stripped and hauled to the crusher as I did not want it Wintering here. Check that one off two days ago. Now I have the rolling chassis in the shop and about to undergo surgery to mate it with the independent rear suspension of the SC. All in all as I look back it doesn't seem like very much for the Summer but in terms of what it means to being able to work on the project through bad weather months. The cab is bolted down to the dolly I built and stored out under our covered deck wrapped in old quilts and tarps. Even though it is exposed to some of the outside weather it is protected and very easy to move into the shop when needed unless there is a lot of snow.

OK, I know it's not a lot but I have managed to make some much needed progress that should allow me to proceed with the project inside during the bad weather to come. I fear our unusually hot Summer is going to be followed by a nasty Winter. Hopefully I'm wrong but I'll expect the worst and be pleased if it does not come to pass.

So I hope you folks can take a bit of time and catch us all up on what you did this Summer.

Later Folks...
    [
    charger
    charger

What did you get done this Summer??? Empty Re: What did you get done this Summer???

Post  charger Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:48 am

well my project is slowly progressing, summer is the busiest season for me, between my day job, side jobs at night, getting my yard ready for grass (lots of concrete curbing), sidewalk ect, finishing my deck,bi level deck with storage underneath, stucoed inside and out, i`ve redone my parents outside of their house, removed the siding,installed foam all around, dug until the footing and foamed the basement, re-sided the whole house, now i`m building them 2 decks, on the truck i just about got the one piece window kit done, i shaved both door handles, i have one bear claw installed, wiring harnesses are all de-loomed and connectors marked, front end all bolted together and i think thats about it!!!
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

What did you get done this Summer??? Empty Re: What did you get done this Summer???

Post  Darkside Dave Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:35 pm

WOW!!!

When do you sleep???
    charger
    charger

Post  charger Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:57 am

actually i`ve slowed down in the last few years, i used to work in the shop till midnight, get back up at 5am and start over again,kinda burnt myself out!!
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:38 pm

charger wrote:actually i`ve slowed down in the last few years, i used to work in the shop till midnight, get back up at 5am and start over again,kinda burnt myself out!!

Slowed down huh??? Sounds to me like you are still going pretty strong. Of course you could say that I get a lot done if you consider the fact that I don't really put in more that 4 hours a day on the average for the truck project and that's not every day. There are other pesky little things that keep cropping up.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm