Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

4 posters

'53 Ford down under....build thread.

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: '53 Ford down under....build thread.

Post  Darkside Dave Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:29 am

WOW !!!

I'm impressed with what you have done so far. However, I have been wondering about the big quake down there. I assume you were far enough away to escape damage. There has been lots of coverage on the news up here about it.

What's you plan for the holes in the dash when you take out those guages? Welding in plugs and making it look right afterwards is no easy job. That ought to test your skills.

Later Man...
    kiwiford
    kiwiford

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Empty We are lucky.....

Post  kiwiford Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:19 pm

Yup, we are lucky, we are a fair distance from the 'quake, we didn't even know it had happened until I heard it on the radio. There sure has been a lot of destruction, that's for real.

I will be filling the holes, maybe I am simple, but I don't see it as a problem....
    kiwiford
    kiwiford

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Empty More progress.....

Post  kiwiford Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:40 am

Yup, it's been awile...ok, too long!!
    But we have made more progress!! We have top coated the chassis, buffed the cab floor, fitted a patch panel I made, and painted the cab floor with a chassis paint, next, we coat the cab floor with underseal. Enough yakity yak, here are the pics.....

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckchassisandcab005

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckchassisandcab007

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckchassisandcab008

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckchassisandcab009

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckchassisandcab010

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckchassisandcab028

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckchassisandcab029

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckchassisandcab030

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckchassisandcab031

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckchassisandcab032

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckchassisandcab040

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckchassisandcab041

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckchassisandcab042

Thats it so far folks, more as we do it!!!
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: '53 Ford down under....build thread.

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:57 am

Hi Shane,
    Again, I'm impressed. This time I am surprised that you had that good of a floor in your cab. I have hardly ever seen one of these things that good unless it was kept in a garage and never driven in rain or snow. I was wondering how you were doing down there. We had another guy from New Zealand join the board. His user name is webguy. Do you know him or is it just a coincidence that we now have two Kiwis with Ford F-100s??? Are you still doing the T-Shirt sales? If so I might have something you are interested in. Yet me know by e-mail.

Later Man...

kiwiford
    kiwiford

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Empty Been awhile....

Post  kiwiford Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:40 am

It's been awhile, but we have made a little progress...we undersealed the bottom of the cab....pic's to follow as soon as I can!!
    Shane
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:14 am

[b]

Hi Shane,

Man, It's good to hear from you again. I was starting to wonder about you. What with all the nasty trouble the whole world seems to be having this year with natural disasters as well as man made catastrophes I have to wonder about a lot of other people I know scattered around the globe when I don't hear from them. I'm glad to hear you are still making progress and I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures when you post them.

Although I have sent out some e-mail regarding the board and and general participation, I have to admit I am as much to blame as everyone else. However, I am holding hope that like me, others are working on projects as much as they can and at the same time dealing with all the crap that life throws at us nowadays. I also know that down there you folks are in the middle of Winter. I'm not sure exactly how severe that is for your part of the country but where I am Winter can be a real pain in the ass. Right now we are in the worst part of the Summer and we have been dealing with daily 100 degree F. temps and high humidity. Our car club took our Giant Jukebox to a show yesterday and we were blessed with temps just a few degrees below 100 with a slight breeze. This kind of weather is enought to make the most dedicated guys shy away from the heat of the garage. Fortunately for me since my shop and garage are under our house and an intregal part of the building, we have it air conditioned by the same two central units that cool and heat our house. So, I really don't have an excuse based on environmantal extremes other than it has afforded me the abilty to have too much going on and therefore very little time for any one individual project. That coupled with an intense involvement with our car club's activities has made progress on my truck almost non existant.

In spite of all the above, we seem to keep getting new members although they don't seem to be inclined to contribute much if anything. We seem to have attracted a large number of lurkers. I have to think there must be something interesting here to see. My original intention and continueing mission of this board is to provide a place to showcase the work of the little guy who does unusual and impressive things with minimal expense and investment. I see this sort of thing a lot at our small car shows and I hope to inspire these people to contribute their work to the baord.

OK, enough editorializing... Not sure where all that came from, it just popped out. Anyway, glad to hear you are still making progress.

Later Man...

kiwiford
    kiwiford

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Empty More progress.....more pic's.....

Post  kiwiford Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:59 am

Ok, we had a ripper day, and my motivation was high, so I mixed up more underseal, got out my texturing gun, the same one I used to spray the deck liner into my '77 F150, fired up the compressor......

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckcabmounts002

A close up of where I welded in my home made patch, the other side and by the fuel filler

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckcabmounts003

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckcabmounts004

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckcabmounts005

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckcabmounts006

And while that was drying, I attacked the mounts with a sand blaster and wire brush.....

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckcabmounts001

And then added the paint...

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckcabmounts007

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckcabmounts008

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckcabmounts009

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckcabmounts010

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Truckcabmounts011

Next up lifting the cab back on.....real progress!!
    Shane
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:49 pm

Hi Shane,

Your progress sounds great but most of your pictures don't show. You might want to look into that.

It's great to hear from you again. I was starting to wonder how you were doing on the truck.

Later Man...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Empty I did some checking...

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:59 am

Hi Shane,

I was trying to post some pictures I had on Photobucket and I had the same problem. It seems it was a problem with Photobucket because I finally rectified the problem by removing all the pictures I posted there and uploading them all again. It seems to have fixed the problem. Maybe you should remove the pics that did nor work and upload them to Photobucket once again. It was a major pain in the ass but it worked.

Later Man...
    kiwiford
    kiwiford

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Empty I dunno what up there....

Post  kiwiford Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:24 pm

A mate at work had a look last night, all the pictures showed on his computer and he was running 6 programs all at once, so then I tried another computer at work, it showed them all.....not being a smart arse, but maybe it's a setting you have?
    Shane
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:51 pm

kiwiford wrote:A mate at work had a look last night, all the pictures showed on his computer and he was running 6 programs all at once, so then I tried another computer at work, it showed them all.....not being a smart arse, but maybe it's a setting you have?
    Shane

Hmmm... That is strange because I had the same problem until I uploaded them again to Photobucket. However, after 30 some years screwing with computers it is not hard to believe it could be anything. I will try another computer here and see what happens. I would think it would cayse either al;l or none to work because when you look at the link it is nothing more than an internet address. I even tried looking at that those URLs straight from a browser and it worked the same. The nine that don't display would not work from the browsereither. I have changed no settings with either the browser or the Darkside prefs. However, as long as it works for others I'm not too concerned.

Later Man..

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:00 pm

Darkside Dave wrote:
    kiwiford wrote:A mate at work had a look last night, all the pictures showed on his computer and he was running 6 programs all at once, so then I tried another computer at work, it showed them all.....not being a smart arse, but maybe it's a setting you have?
    Shane

Hmmm... That is strange because I had the same problem until I uploaded them again to Photobucket. However, after 30 some years screwing with computers it is not hard to believe it could be anything. I will try another computer here and see what happens. I would think it would cayse either al;l or none to work because when you look at the link it is nothing more than an internet address. I even tried looking at that those URLs straight from a browser and it worked the same. The nine that don't display would not work from the browsereither. I have changed no settings with either the browser or the Darkside prefs. However, as long as it works for others I'm not too concerned.

Later Man..

Hi Shane,
    as it turns out I am happy to report that it was a setting issue with IE-9. I just recently upgraded to 9 and there is a setting called Compatibility View which I turned off and it allowed all the stuff to display. It's odd that it would randonly block some pictures and not others. I'm just glad it was something I could fix here and not a problemm with servers or routing.

Later Man...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:07 pm

Now that I can see all the pictures I must say that I am impressed. I assume that is the same stuff we call bedliner up here. I am also assuming you used the same kind of gun used for drywall texturing. Tell me if it is something like this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/texture-paint-spray-gun-66103.html

If so I want to get one.

BTW, you would have to look long and hard to find a cab that nice up here that had not already been fixed with hundreds of dollars worth of repop panels.

Later Man...

kiwiford
    kiwiford

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Empty Well.....no and no....answers.....

Post  kiwiford Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi Dave,
    Glad to hear you got the picture issue sorted, we had that problem when we first installed IE9.
    OK, underseal, no, it's not bedliner, that would be too hard, and chip, underseal is a bitumous coating, you may call it body deadner? It is like a tar/oil mix, that dries....kindof....but does not really set. I am confident all of your vehicles had it sprayed underneath, I know our floor on the truck was covered in the stuff!!
    Ok, the gun, no, not the same, the one I used is the POR15 deck liner gun!! The one you showed may well work, I don't know, but spraying the underseal requires a big tip, the POR gun has a 1/4" tube!! We brushed a layer on first, then sprayed over the top....it works well!!
    Shane
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:58 pm

kiwiford wrote:Hi Dave,
    Glad to hear you got the picture issue sorted, we had that problem when we first installed IE9.
    OK, underseal, no, it's not bedliner, that would be too hard, and chip, underseal is a bitumous coating, you may call it body deadner? It is like a tar/oil mix, that dries....kindof....but does not really set. I am confident all of your vehicles had it sprayed underneath, I know our floor on the truck was covered in the stuff!!
    Ok, the gun, no, not the same, the one I used is the POR15 deck liner gun!! The one you showed may well work, I don't know, but spraying the underseal requires a big tip, the POR gun has a 1/4" tube!! We brushed a layer on first, then sprayed over the top....it works well!!
    Shane

I believe I became confused when you called it a texture gun. Yes the widely common term here is body deadner and the older term is also undercoating. As for bedliner, there are many types. The rattle can stuff is thin and hard. However there are some better two part mixes available that are not hard and the take quite a beating such as throwing heavy tools and equipment at it. Some folks up here even use it on the underside of mowing decks and it really takes a beating. It is also widely used under motorcycle fenders to prevent dents from the underside. The point is that the good sturr is pretty tough.

I have noticed that in the new vehicles they have gone to internal sound deadening materials and they no longer sprau on undercoating. Around here undercoating can be a real problem as it tends to seperate from the metal and the salt and water from the roads gets in there and eats the steel. A good example of this is the GTO I'm putting new floor panels in that is featured in the car forum here. Of course the big problem is the salt used on the roads here in the Winter. I guess that's why they call this the rust belt.

Later Man...

kiwiford
    kiwiford

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Empty Progress....

Post  kiwiford Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:19 am

Well, we have lifted the cab back on....I can post pic's if anyone wants to see them, but to be honest....not much to see!!
    I plan on welding in the patch panel I have made for the guards real soon!!
    Shane
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:53 am

Hey Man,
    I was just thinking about you this morning not more than an hour ago. Congrats on getting the cab set back on the frame... On May 12th our car club put on a show at a venue that belongs to a friend of mine. I have a video posted on Youtube You may have seen it because I posted here on the darkside globally. If not I have put it on this post.

If you like American cars and trucks you will like this video.

Don't be a stranger man... And please do post more pictures.

BTW, I have a page on Facebook, search Dave Boley and send a friend request. I also have a Youtube channel you mcan access at https://www.youtube.com/user/DavesRides

I have a Photobucket page with lots of albums and lots of work progress pictures which is at https://s814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/Darkside-Dave/

Unfortunately I have done absolutely nothing on either of my truck projects for over a month as it seems that everything else that can interfere has. Currently my '54 COE cab is occupying space in the shop and the '53 is sitting outside under tarps. Not to mention I have another '53 that I have never touched for four years. I better get my ass in gear because I ain't gonna live forever.

Later Man...

Darkside Dave
    kiwiford
    kiwiford

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. - Page 2 Empty Good to catch up

Post  kiwiford Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:14 am

It is good to hear from you too, and I should cruise the site more often!!
    Sorry, I don't have a face book account, another distraction I don't need!!
    I will check out the vids, and check my post on the 'ol 77, I need help there too!!
    Shane

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:32 am