Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

4 posters

'53 Ford down under....build thread.

kiwiford
    kiwiford

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Empty '53 Ford down under....build thread.

Post  kiwiford Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:47 am

Ok, we bought this truck earlier in the year for my wife, it is a project for both of us. My wife has always liked the earlier F100's, so when we found this one, we had to get it!! It arrived in NZ with an Oldsmobile engine and gearbox, which was removed by the previous owner, as we didn't want it and he did. We have got a 272 Y block for it, which we know is not original, but we want to run a Y block. We have also got the original gearbox for it. The truck has a '55 grille, we want a '53 grille for it though...and will try to find one.
    My wife, Hayley, has done most of the work, with me in the supporting role. So far we have: removed all the front guards, inner and outer, valance panel and grille, rear guards, running boards, fuel tank, tank mounts and running board mounts and a welded in cross member that was definately not original.
    Ok, here are the pic's to date...I warn you this will not be a fast build....but it will get there!!

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. SwapmeetF100007
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. SwapmeetF100011
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. SwapmeetF100026
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. SwapmeetF100027
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. SwapmeetF100030
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. SwapmeetF100031
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. SwapmeetF100032
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. SwapmeetF100034
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. SwapmeetF100041
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. SwapmeetF100043
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. SwapmeetF100045
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. SwapmeetF100051
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. SwapmeetF100057
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. SwapmeetF100062
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100002
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100015
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100016
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100017
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100018
    Well, that's it so far....will post more as we progress!!
    Cheers,
    Shane
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Empty Re: '53 Ford down under....build thread.

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:32 am

Hi Shane & Hayley,

Congratulations on getting your build thread started. I set it up as a sticky so it will be at the top of this forum with the other build threads. You are our first build thread from New Zealand. Hopefully you will be contributing lots more as your project progresses.

Later Folks...
    58 ford
    58 ford

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Empty Re: '53 Ford down under....build thread.

Post  58 ford Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:01 pm

HI
    I think its almost like christmas when a new project arrives from far away Very Happy .
    I too have had a few come from far away and i know what the wait is like.
    Just to let you know i have some feelers out on a 53 grill for you i will let you know what i can find.
    Anyway good luck on the build i know they can take some time.
    Later Andrew
    kiwiford
    kiwiford

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Empty Thanks guy's

Post  kiwiford Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:49 pm

Hi guy's, thanks for the replies, we will update it as often as we do work on the truck.
    Getting the fabbed cross member out was a bear, I had to cut the running board mounts off it....with a cold chisel, and then cut it off the chassis too...it was solidly welded in there!!
    Cheers for looking out for a grille, finding parts down here just doesn't happen, they all have to be imported.
    Cheers,
    Shane
    kiwiford
    kiwiford

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Empty Latest update.....

Post  kiwiford Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:00 pm

Ok, we got the pedals and pedal mounting shaft off, cleaned and inspected. Then we started on the gas tank, I wanted to remove the fuel tank sender, but it was not to be easy, I had to remove every screw with vice grips, as they were siezed in place and no screw driver would look at them, two broke off.
    Once it was out, the amount of crud in the tank became apparent, and my wife, Hayley, attacked the outside with degreaser. After a few minutes of cleaning, it became apparent the tank is a write off, too many pinholes.....so we have to import a new one from the US. To give you guys an idea of what it's like down here, the gas tank will cost us around NZD$600.00 landed here, maybe more. That's over a weeks wages.
    No pic's at the moment, but I may well take some later of the tank....maybe as my F150 squashes it!!
    Hayley has begun to scrape all the crud off the chassis, and degrease it ready for painting.
    That's all we managed to get done....I had lawns to mow, and 2x dogs to walk, and it's winter, so we have limited daylight.
    Tune in next week, when we hope to: get the shift mechanism off the column, get my Miller mig working and start to patch the guards and clean up the chassis ready for painting.
    Until the next thrilling enstallment,
    Shane
    koth
    koth

Post  koth Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:17 pm

I will be looking forward to seeing your progress keep posting those pics.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi Shane,

I have a spare tank that is in usable condition you can have but then again there is the shipping to pay. I just saw the thing today as I was loading up scrap to go to the crusher. I almost threw it in but I decided to keep it around for a while. But, if you want this one you need to save your sender and fuel pickup.

I hope some of the other guys here read you account and consider how thankful they should be for what they have access to here and what it costs.

Later Man...

kiwiford
    kiwiford

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Empty More progress

Post  kiwiford Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:33 pm

Ok, the weather played ball, so we rolled it out of the shed, and proceeded to remove the outer skins that had been welded to the tail gate, to see what is underneath, only to find a second skin...so I attacked that and got it removed.
    I also got our mig going too....and will start to repair the rust in the guards.
    Anyhoo, here are the pics.
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100tailgate001

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100tailgate002

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100tailgate003

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100tailgate004

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100tailgate005

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100tailgate006

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100tailgate007

Yup, in one of them pic's the ugly sod is me!!
    Also, there is a shot shoing the bog or body filler, and it was thick too!!
    Also, the panels were brazed on, with proper bronze welding rod, I have never seen that done before!!
    That's it for now.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Empty Hey! It says it's a Ford !!!

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:59 am

Hi Shane,

Man, what a bunch of crap to dig through to get to the meat of the situation. All I can say is that the FORD panel looks good and must have been well preserved under all that crap. Way back when before I had MIG welders I used to braze everything. It's a lot tougher to do than the MIG welding as there is so much heat involved and therefore a lot of warping problems. I used to have to keep a bucket of water handy with a big old soppy towel in it to slap on the sheet metal to keep it cool. I still occasionally do brazing but only for dissimilar metals and high pressure plumbing like AC parts.

It looks as thought you are doing well and moving along. As a fellow owner of two '53's I am going to watching your progress with great interest so I hope yopu are able to keep posting as you proceed with your work on this project.

Later Man...
    kiwiford
    kiwiford

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Empty More progress......

Post  kiwiford Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:20 pm

We have made more progress, Hayley degreased and waterblasted the whole chassis. She has also buffed the whole chassis with a power wire brush. We then removed all brake pipes, loom and handbrake cable off the chassis. We also removed the rear shocks and mounts for the handbrake cable and exhaust too, along with the pedal mount plate.
    Now, this may not sound like much, but what it means is we now only need to remove the cab and tray, and the chassis is ready to be painted!!
    We need a right front cab chassis cab mount, some one has gas axed the back out of it, the one that is rivited to the chassis in front of the battery tray, if any one has one, we would like to hear from you.
    Shane & Hayley
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi Shane,

Sometime but far into the future I'll probably have one of those but it will be when I finally start on my second '53. When I get with old Bill up here in Northern Ohio I might be able to get one from him. Even that might be a month or so away.

Later Man...
    kiwiford
    kiwiford

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Empty more progress.....

Post  kiwiford Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:54 pm

I will try to get some pic's this weekend, may not sould like much, but we are still progressing, we have cut two brackets off the chassis that were welded on to hold the old exhausts on, removed all brake pipes in readiness for new ones. Hayley has started to strip the whole cab of paint too. The chassis is nearly ready for painting, we have bought new cab mounts too......
    Ok, query time.....do we run peep mirrors, or open the holes in the doors where the stock mirrors went, someone has welded the old holes in the doors closed....feedback anyone??
    Cheers,
    Shane
    kiwiford
    kiwiford

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Empty More progress.....

Post  kiwiford Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:29 am

Ok, I will load more pics in the next day or two, but for now, you will have to put up with a description.
    We got the tray off first, and Hayley buffed the chassis with a wire brush.
    Next, two mates arrived, and we lifted the cab off, and Hayley has nearly finished buffing the whole chassis, remeber this is her truck, I am only the muscle and technical adviser, pics swill follow in a day or so!!
    Big progress, as all we have to do is paint chassis, and the re-assmbly commences!!!!
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:33 pm

COOL !!!

Right now you are making a lot more progress than I am. Keep up the good work...

Later Folks...

kiwiford
    kiwiford

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Empty Finally, the pic's.....

Post  kiwiford Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:03 am

Alright, here are the pics, of the tray off, the cab off, the cab floor, the chassis before it was cleaned, after cleaning and acid washing, the rusted front corner of the cab being cut out and the gas cut cab mount, which we have had a patch plate made to fix.
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Nsraf100194-1
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Nsraf100197
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Nsraf100195-1
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Nsraf100199-1
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Nsraf100208
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Nsraf100207
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Nsraf100206
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Nsraf100199-1
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Nsraf100212
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Nsraf100211
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Nsraf100210
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Nsraf100222
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Nsraf100221
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Nsraf100218
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Nsraf100216

Yup, that's Hayley, she has done most of the work, in fact, nearly all of it!! I am just the muscle, and technical adviser/welder!!
    58 ford
    58 ford

Post  58 ford Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:10 am

Hey Shane and Haley
    Looks like your workin hard on it,Keep up the good work!!
    Later Andrew
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:09 pm

Nice Work !!!

It looks as though you folks are moving right along with the project. Your floor pan and cab corners look pretty good. Most of them you find around here are all rusted away. Thanks for the update.

Later Folks...
    kiwiford
    kiwiford

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Empty Repaired cab mount

Post  kiwiford Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:15 pm

Ok, here are the pic's of the cab mount after repairing it.
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Cabmountfueltank001
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Cabmountfueltank003
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Cabmountfueltank006

More as we progress.....
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:39 pm

Looks good. I wonder why someone torched it out.

Later Man...
    kiwiford
    kiwiford

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Empty Maybe....

Post  kiwiford Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 pm

The only reason I can think of is access to the battery.....but I dunno why.
    kiwiford
    kiwiford

Post  kiwiford Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:37 am

Well, in the 'states this truck had an Olds motor, which meant fabricated engine mounts had been welded in, they had to come out, as we are fitting a Y block......after much grinding by both of us, the mounts are out. There is still a bit of grinding to go, to get the area to the level I want, enough talk, pic's:

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100enginemount003
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100enginemount001
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100enginemount002
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100enginemount005
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100enginemount006
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100enginemount008
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100enginemount009
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100enginemount010
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100enginemount011
    ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. F100enginemount012

Well, there they are.....more to come!!
    Shane
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:18 pm

More good work...

I think maybe I woud have been content to cut those off back to the frame and leave the rest in for strength but then to each his own on that one. I am curious about something. The '53 originally had either a flat head six or V8. Why are you going with a Y block? Other than fitting the original mounting points it's really not that great a choice. The Y blocks were notorious for not delivering oil to the rocker arm shafts. They even sold external kits to cure that problem which usually ended up being just another source of oil leaks. Since you are not strictly sticking to the stock configuration I would think you would be way ahead to go with the 289-302 blocks which are very compact and very easy to fit in. There are also mounting kits available if you are not in the mood to fabricate your own mounts. Also parts are a lot more available for these engines and you have a lot of options for making them anything from stock to real fire breathers. I would think it would be a lot easier to find the 302 engines than the old Y blocks. Of course I realize you may have alreasdy found your engine. If this is going to be a daily driver the 302 would be a lot easier to keep on the road than an old Y block. Even here those engines and parts are tough to come by and the rebuild parts are really high dollar.

Later Man...
    kiwiford
    kiwiford

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Empty answers.....

Post  kiwiford Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:42 pm

Well, we are going with a Y block as we don't have to certify the truck. Down here we would need an engineers certification to fit a later motor, like the ones you mention. As they would regard that as a significant power upgrade, we would have to add disc brakes, seat belts, high level stop lights, individual indicators front and rear, the list goes on and on....plus pay a $1000.00 cert fee.
    If I cut the mounts flush, it is a modification, same applies....the Y block has been approved, as they don't know it had a flat head originally!!
    I don't want to destroy the history of the truck by adding all the modern crap....so we stay period correct.
    Shane
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:43 pm

OK, that tears it...

I'm not moving down there. They sound like a real pain in the ass. Here we can do anything we want if we have the original title. So far the do Gooders haven't attacked us here in SE Ohio. You have my sympathy...
    kiwiford
    kiwiford

Post  kiwiford Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:56 am

Ok, the chassis is primed, we used POR15, next up is a top coat of chassis black....better pic's can be arranged if wanted.
    We also have the guages and knobs for sale too....

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Trucks007

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Trucks008

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Trucks009

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Trucks006

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Trucks005

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Trucks004

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Trucks003

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Trucks002

ford - '53 Ford down under....build thread. Trucks001

Any queries or requests of more pic's, lemme know....
    Shane

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:35 pm