Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

5 posters

Darkside newbie

kiwiford
    kiwiford

Darkside newbie Empty Darkside newbie

Post  kiwiford Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:33 am

Well, here we are.....after an invite to join we have signed up. My wife and I are in New Zealand, I have a 1977 F150 Ranger XLT that is a daily driver, and is being restored bit by bit as money allows.....my wife has a 1953 F100 that we are tearing down and rebuilding.....and trying to source parts for too....ok, enough of that...I'm guessin' you wanna see pic's...
    Darkside newbie SwapmeetF100008
    Darkside newbie SwapmeetF100011
    Darkside newbie SwapmeetF100030
    Darkside newbie SwapmeetF100041
    Darkside newbie SwapmeetF100043
    Darkside newbie SwapmeetF100057
    Darkside newbie Americarna123
    Yeah, we know the '53 has a '55 grille....we are looking for a '53 grille for it.
    Cheers,
    Shane & Hayley
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Darkside newbie Empty Re: Darkside newbie

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:23 pm

Hi Shane,

Welcome aboard... Glad to have you with us. You are our first New Zealand member. I think when the other folks find your post they will also be welcoming you to the board. I like your '77 and it looks close to the same color as my '03 F-350 dually diesel crew cab. I see your '77 is also left hand drive. Did it come from the U.S. also?

When you get some time and a good start on the '53 I hope you will start a build thread here to keep us posted on your work progress. If you start one I will make it a sticky as we are trying to keep all the build threads to the tops of their respective forums.

Later Man...
    58 ford
    58 ford

Post  58 ford Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:08 pm

HI Shane cheers
    Welcome aboard the 53 looks in pretty good shape!! Feel free to look around at some of the other posts and comment away.As dave says start a build thread and he will make it a sticky. Anyway i will keep an eye out for you,good luck with you and your wifes build on the 53.
    Later Andrew

FRANKENTRUCK
    FRANKENTRUCK
    Admin

Post  FRANKENTRUCK Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:01 pm

Thats a nice looking project you got there. Looks like it will give you hours of shop time enjoyment.
    Kaptn' Obvious
    Kaptn' Obvious

Post  Kaptn' Obvious Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:21 am

Looks like fun! I think you found the only other lady that likes to work on trucks. On that note, I'd better be extra nice to the lady. Seeing as how there's only two of them.

The 53 looks fairly solid. Unless you want to restore it I'd go with what you can find that looks good. I'm headed to Arkansas next weekend. I know of a few places to hunt parts. Shoot me a PM and let me know what you're looking for and I'll see what I can find.

The 77 is a sharp looking truck. I take it it's not a trailer queen? I say this because it looks like the frame is a bit torqued. I love that body style. When I was a kid my dad had a 72 I don't see many with that body style anymore.

My lady has a 77 Bronco we're working on. When she gets a "Round Tuit" She's going to post the truck saga and I'll post the technical details.

Glad to have you aboard!
    kiwiford
    kiwiford

Darkside newbie Empty Thanks all...

Post  kiwiford Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:49 am

Thanks all, we will try a build thread....but it will be slow.....how do we start it?
    Yup, the '77 is a daily driver, the chassis is straight, just one of the bumper mounts has been welded on lower than the other by a previous owner....it too is an American import....been in NZ for a loooooong time.
    My wife loves to work on vehicles....but she just doesn't get enough time....or enough time with me....as I work night shift....but we will be working on it together.
    We will probably need help looking for a lot of odd parts, we are happy to pay for anything, obviously, we know about the usual parts suppliers, but there are some parts they don't make, and we will need help with them, plus just general advice, tips and helps.
    Oh, we have a Crestliner steering wheel for sale too....
    Cheers,
    Shane
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:33 am

Hi Shane,

Good to hear from you again... OK, here's what you need to do to start a build thread. You have two ways to go here. You can make this your build thread as you have already posted pics and stuff about the truck, or you can start a new thread and title it accordingly. Either way, when you decide what to do, let me know and I will make the thread a sticky. It will then stay in the group of threads marked as stickys which are always at the top of the forums. If you start a new thread you can title it to indicate it is a build thread. You might also want to consider writing a small piece in the opening post that gives some basic info about the project including where and how you got your project vehicle and maybe a bit about you and your wife since you will be working on this one together.

Feel free to e-mail me and/or PM me with any questions you have about your build thread or any other questions regarding the Darkside board. Good luck with your project and your build thread.

Later Man...
    kiwiford
    kiwiford

Darkside newbie Empty ok, thanks

Post  kiwiford Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:10 pm

Hi dave,
    OK, we will wait until after next weekend, then I will start a new thread, thanks for that.
    I will include back grounds etc....and a bit of humor....I am guessing that's ok!!
    Cheers,
    Shane
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:29 pm

kiwiford wrote:Hi dave,
    OK, we will wait until after next weekend, then I will start a new thread, thanks for that.
    I will include back grounds etc....and a bit of humor....I am guessing that's ok!!
    Cheers,
    Shane

Humor is good... We don't have a lot of silly rules about that stuff here. I just try to keep it within reason without making anyone mad. So far that has worked real well.

Later Man...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Darkside newbie Empty A CLOSER LOOK...

Post  Darkside Dave Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:05 am

Hi Shane,

After reading your other posts I came back here to look at the pictures of your '53. Did your truck come to you without an engine or had you already taken it out before the picture was taken? If you don't have an engine what are you planning on putting in it? I know you once said something about needing the linkage to the carb. It looked to me as though you were missing the part that mounts on the fire wall. I have that stuff somewhere in the boxes of stuff I collected when taking apart two trucks for parts. I do know a guy who has a flat head V8 but it would probably be a lot to ship it and it probably needs rebuilt. He goes by the user name river rat here on the Darkside. I guess I would like to know if you are going with a pure restore or you just want to keep the outside looking stock but are willing to upgrade things like chassis and mechanical. I'm a resto-mod guy myself because I want to drive my stuff and the old mechanicals are just not up to the rigors of daily driving. I'm an old geezer and I drove all these things in their prime time. Back then it was a case of constant PM to keep everything working right and they handle lousy compared to today's trucks. Hardly anybody with any sense ever drove them over 50 MPH/80 KMH. These things can be downright scary on our interstate highways with everybody going 70 or more. If a big rig passes you and it feels like they are literally blowing you off the road. It is also a lot easier to get parts for later model drive trains and chassis.

Of course if you get a good build thread going with a lot of progress pictures and pictures of the stuff you are having problems with, we will be a lot better informed and probably more able to help you with finding stuff.

Later Man...

kiwiford
    kiwiford

Darkside newbie Empty Well, we have

Post  kiwiford Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:10 pm

We are planning to run a Y block....we have got one already, along with the standard 3spd with o/d.
    Other than that, it'll be restored to standard. That's the way my wife wants it, her truck, her way!!
    When it came to NZ it had an Olds motor in it, the guy we bought it off kept it.
    I am not too sure what carb linkage parts I need yet....I guess I will find out more once I get there!!
    We will hopefully get to work on it this weekend, and I will start the build thread from there.
    Cheers,
    Shane
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:08 pm

Hi Shane,

No problem, whatever you and your wife decide. At my rate of progress there is definitely no hurry. I am pretty sure I am going with a custom or different grille than the '53 so even if I didn't trade it I would probably restore it and sell it. Since my '53 is anything but stock and so far from a purist restoration I don't have any problem with going custom on the grille. Below is a picture that caught my eye and I kind of like it. I believe it is a circa 1960 Chrysler 300 grille with the quad headlights. Of course in the end I might come up with something different.

Later Man...

Darkside newbie LIKEthis

Or this...

Darkside newbie LIKEthis2
    kiwiford
    kiwiford

Darkside newbie Empty Well...in that case..

Post  kiwiford Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:08 am

If you are going to customise it, and more power to you, we would take the grille happily, obviously we will pay, e-mail us a price!! Or we can trade for a '55 grille if you want it.
    Cheers,
    Shane
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:52 am

Hi Shane,

I think I'll take this to e-mail.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content