Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

2 posters

Lincoln Mark VIII IRS with bags...

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

lincoln - Lincoln Mark VIII IRS with bags... Empty Lincoln Mark VIII IRS with bags...

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:29 pm

Hi Folks,

Has anyone out there used a circa '97 Mark VIII rear IRS set up with bags in a custom built chassis??? I have read someplace, I can't remember where, that this set up has been used like this. I have a fellow that wants a rolling chassis built for a '34 Chevy pinch nosed roadster he is building. If I remember correctly the Mark VIII set up has an aluminum dif case with 8.8" gears and there are some aluminum pieces in the suspension itself. I don't know what the wheel lug bolt circle is or the hub to hub width. If anyone out there knows anything about this set up or where to find some online info let me know here, by e-mail, PM or here where others can read and add comments.

Later Folks...
    55f350
    55f350

lincoln - Lincoln Mark VIII IRS with bags... Empty Re: Lincoln Mark VIII IRS with bags...

Post  55f350 Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:26 pm

ok dave . the airbags on these things is to be polite , at best problematic . ford air ride systems are JUNK . the track width is the same as my 53 which i want to say is like 60 inches . the hub bolt pattern is 5x 4.25 . easily remedied by a: buying mustang cobra irs hubs / 99 up cobras for 150 a peice or redrill the hubs for 5 x 4.5 which is what just about every ford and gm car uses since the creation of dirt . it is an aluminum case a very nice sought after part , and since it's a v-8 it is 8.8 based . the a arms are aluminum , the uprights / spindle knuckles ? are aluminum on all the irs rears . any 8.8 28 spline track lock will fit , summit sells one from ford motorsports for 195 . any 8.8 ring and pinion fits also . cobra parts are all 31 spline and heavier duty halfshafts . the 28 spline is being used by some guys i know in our 3650 pound birds making 600 horse without any issues with an automatic . try tccoa a thunderbird forum / mn 12 platform forum im on for any info , but not very freindly towards other makes . pretty much ford only . as i said before these are a bolt in in any frame rail 34 inches in width like my 53 , except you have to pie cut the front mounts and move them in to the proper width so i'd say they could fit a whole hell of a lot of other makes and models easily . i know they are becoming quite popular with the 50's era ford passenger car croweds for an irs . they are readily available , you can get poly bushings etc, from supercoupe performance , summit , jegs , and energy suspension , many times outside of supercoupe you have to look under mustang cobra 99 up as they use the identical suspension , just wider . if you want air bags go aftermarket , or just buy a set of oe bird , mark 8 , cougar springs and shocks . the supercoupe and xr7 and the sport modls had the best rear springs as far as rates go . as you all know i had a 91 just given to me , free with an 5.0 and my 4.6 was a 200 car im still beating the hell out of so they are CHEAPLY had !!!!!!!! later .
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

lincoln - Lincoln Mark VIII IRS with bags... Empty Mark VIII out, Super Coupe in...

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:19 pm

Hey Kevin,
    Today was my birthday so I bought myself a '90 Super Coupe... Oh, I forgot to mention it is scrunched in the nose a bit. It has the 3.8 supercharged engine. I bought it primarily for the IRS system but I intend to sell the engine and tranny. I got it for $450.00 and I think I can get that for the engine and tranny. It also has some nice wheels and tires. I'm going to have to some research on the SC's. I don't know a lot about them. I suspect I will be looking for electrical and vacuum diagrams. I will be posting some pics in a day or so.
    55f350
    55f350

lincoln - Lincoln Mark VIII IRS with bags... Empty Re: Lincoln Mark VIII IRS with bags...

Post  55f350 Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:31 pm

ya know i'm not sure but i think the sc's and cougar xr7's had the 8.8 based diff .either way a great parts car to say the least !!!!!!!!!!!! and an inexpensive alternative to the prevalent jag and vette setups ! the 3.8's in the supercoupes dave did not have the head gasket issues the base 3.8's had as they have thicker decks and such . also there is parts aplenty out there to turn them into screamers !!!!!!!!!!!guy here who owns a-z automotive has one a 95 i think with the 5 speed and some tweeks running in the really low 12's in a 4000 pd car . try the autozone website for the diagrams . i found them there for that 91 i just parted as i plan on using some of it's electrical bit's for my 53 .if the nose is what ya need and ya wanna keep it in one peice i got it and two fenders and the base bird hood dave still sitting around in storage ............... the fenders have rust in the bottom that needs repair and i got the headlight assemblies too , just a parking light lens come unglued off the right one but it's there too . happy b-day too !!!!!!!! got parts for the 53 for mine in feb !!!!!! that's the kind of presents we want !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

lincoln - Lincoln Mark VIII IRS with bags... Empty Hmmm...

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:21 pm

Hi Kevin,

I don't know what I am going to do with this thing yet. My reason for buying it was to make some money off of it. I have a good clear title, not a junk title for it. If I were to restore it I would have to do it up right and I would end up with way too much time and money in it. Besides that, if I had it, eventually I'd have to see what it could do. I hear it's a pretty wicked car. Back in '90 my son had a really fast '89 Mustang GT and he told me he went up against one of these and it was as good as he was.

If I find someone who wants to restore it I will keep you in mind as a source for body parts. Fenders are good with no rust. It needs a hood, radiator support, grille, A/C condenser coil and bumper. The dash needs replaced too because they left it out in the sun for two years.

If anyone restores this it needs to be correct parts in order to make it valuable as a Super Coupe.

Later Man...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content