Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

55 f-100, let no panel be unmodified!

charger

55 f-100, let no panel be unmodified!

Post  charger on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:09 pm

start posting some of my build pics, had pictures when i bought it but for some reasons they disapeared (wife was fooling around with my stuff again!!, anyway first picture is with the crown vic front end welded on

front end welding job (welds not cleaned up!)

welder series 4 link set up

using plumb line, determine center of axle,mark and reference to a rivet on frame to make sure marks are the same distance

axle,spring perches removed

crown vic rear end,tacked it to the bottom of the frame

front spring perch was ripped out of the frame and re-welded, to repair and strengthen the frame i welded the 4 link brackets to a piece of angle iron i found lying around

welded the angle to the frame,assembled and ready to go!
    charger

Re: 55 f-100, let no panel be unmodified!

Post  charger on Tue May 04, 2010 1:16 pm

dave, can you sticky this one as my build thread??
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:35 pm

Hi Charger,

Sorry it took so long to get around to this but I finally made this thread a sticky as you requested.

Later Man...

Post  charger on Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:19 pm

THANKS! I`LL START ADDING ALL MY INFO ONCE I HAVE A BIT OF TIME
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave on Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:03 pm

charger wrote:THANKS! I`LL START ADDING ALL MY INFO ONCE I HAVE A BIT OF TIME

It's no excuse but I sometimes miss stuff. In the future you should just e-mail if you need something like this. I feel bad about missing your request.

Later Man...

Post  charger on Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:08 am

wanted the truck to go lower and really had no room for the bags so i fabricated this rear bag bracket,1st thing i did is measured and marked both sides of the frame equally, found myself a piece of used pipe that would be the right size for my c-notch,cut it to the frame width and cut it in half,tacked each half to the inside of the frame,cut out around the c-notch and welded it up, for the bags i decided to mount them on top of the rear end,found some 1/4 inch plate,measured where my bags would sit(height wise) and cut 2 pieces of plate out,welded them to both inner sides of the frame, i then cut out 2 pieces of pipe,welded my bag mounts to them and then welded them to the plates, for the rear end bag mounts i took 2 pieces of plate and welded them to the rear end allowing room for my bag mount bolt,then welded the bag mount to the plate,and i believe that was it!

http://i31.servimg.com/u/f31/14/01/27/98/pictur14.jpg

charger

Post  charger on Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:17 am

decided to box in my frame for a cleaner look, already had it partially boxed in at the front due to the suspension swap, the rear end was c-notched and partially plated with 1/4 inch steel, i ran 1 1/4 inch conduit tubing inside the frame only welding it at 3 places in case of chassis flex, then i started to plate the sides up,bent up pockets so i can get to my bed mounting bolts, for the rear, i`m using a 69 mustang tank so i made my bracket up and welded nuts inside the frame to attach the tank frame,needed more side room for the tank so i cut the bottom of the rails enough to clear the tank,didn`t have anything fancy to bend the steel in the back frame so i welded the top plate to the frame, heated it up and bent it into a oval shape and then welded the bottom to the frame.

charger

Post  charger on Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:30 am

Got my tank done this weekend and i figured i`d post it up, first of all bought a 69 mustang tank off e-bay (cheepest around) cut the fuel pump and vent bung off the crown vic tank, measured and marked a hole where the tank is completely flat at the bottom and cut a hole on top of the tank with a holesaw,didn`t have the proper size so i just cut out the hole to the proper size, was initially going to build a fuel tray like tanks ink are using to mount on my fuel pump but decided to build a sump and baffle (don`t want the pump to ever starv out) figured out my sump would stick out one inch lower than my tank and a 2 1/2 wall or baffle inside the tank, proceded and bent and welded my sump,(kinda looks like a ashtray) ,drilled 6 holes just over the 1 inch mark so fuel can go into it (front and front sides only), 1/4 inch from the top curled in the edges,on the front and front sides,centered it in the pump hole of the tank, marked and cut the bottom of the tank out,GRIND THE TANK STEEL TO REMOVE GALVANIZED COATING BEFORE WELDING) welded in the sump, inside and outside of the tank, welded in the bungs, fuel pump was sitting sideways from the bung mount, cut the mounting bracket off and added a piece of steel and welded it together to make it straight and also the proper length from the bottom of the tank to the top, so now all i have to do is line the inside of the tank and its done!! going to use kreem tank liner

Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave on Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:36 am

Hi Charger,

I like what you did with your tank. I may have to do something like that myself if I can't find a late model one with the F.I. pump built in that will fit. Greta job with all the pictures...

Later Man...

Post  charger on Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:38 am

pics of my homeade box

[quote][code]

Last edited by charger on Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
    charger

Post  charger on Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:44 am

some pictures while were were chopping the top

Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave on Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:44 am

You're a brave man Charger... I gave that idea some though but I chickened out as there was way too much to do otherwise on my project. I do applaud your ambition and initiative though. Pleas keep us posted with your progress. BTW, how long have you been on this project by now???

Later Man...

Post  charger on Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:26 pm

it will be 2 years this coming winter, most of the work was done the first year
    charger

Post  charger on Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:10 pm

kicked the old bucket of bolts out of the garage this weekend, figured i`d take a few pictures, wasen`t happy with the looks, started to do some measuring and my box in the front has to go up a slight bit approx 1/4 inch, also from the pictures seems like the cab needs to be raised in the back??? any other critiques??? working on some lighting and probably next weekend going to start working on the truck again, fighting the fit and finish stuff right now, my passenger door opening on the back side is 1/4 inch bigger than the drivers, going to make a 90 degree plate and weld it into the chanel to bring down the gap, i think this truck was built on a friday or monday! never seen one this bad! went to the wreckers on the weekend picked up some goodies off a 1992 t bird, shifter, electric fan and newer style altenator, going to take apart the shifter and modify it with a longer shaft similar to a genie or lokar.

Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave on Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:06 pm

Looking Good Man...

I know the drill when it comes to making stuff fit. I'm in the worst of that now. Ny son thinks my electrical stuff will be the big problem but I think what I'm thrying to get through now is the worst of it. Every time I think I have it all figured out something is in the way and needs modified or moved. I know the drill... I think your project is looking good and in the end it will all come togehter only because you will not settle for less.

Keep up the good work Man...

Post  carnut122 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:28 pm

Charger,
    That's looking good!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:14 am