Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

windshield buck

charger

windshield buck

Post  charger on Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:13 am

after a long delay i finally got to making my windshield buck, after posting my chop on FTE had lots of guys praising it and a few severely knocking it down saying that the cab is now scrap and i`d never get a windshield to fit, this is the only part i ever got help on and the guy who helped me has chopped several cars 20-30 of them and has chopped a few 53-55 f100 told me no problem it will fit, shit scared for several months i didn`t even look at the truck ,well now i built a buck and the windshield will fit no problem, trim the top and a bit of the sides and the way it goes! first thing to do is wax the windshield twice with carabuya car wax (hope that spelled right) bought some fiberglass matting, cut 2 sheets 2 inches wider than the complete windshield, lay the matting onto the windshield, mix your resin according to instructions and lay it onto the matting with a brush, as your doing this roll the areas with resin, this causes the resin to go through both mattings and takes out the air bubbles, once your done rolling it and it all looks like its all penetrated through i bent some conduit i had laying around and cut up, cleanwith de-greaser,had some left over matting and fiberglassed the bars into the buck,when it is starting to get hard you can cut off the excess matting with a razor blade let it dry and peel it off the windshield, checked several times to see if the mold was the same as the windshield when taken off and it was perfect, put it on the truck, with little pieces of windshield rubber inplace and cut away to your opening until you can fit weatherstripping all around, now the buck can be layed on the windshield and it can be cut to these dimentions, this will be done at a different time.

Darkside Dave
    Admin

Re: windshield buck

Post  Darkside Dave on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:41 pm

Hi Charger,
    First, let me say that although the guys on the FTE mean well, there are only about 10% 0f them at most that do more than tack on catalog parts. In the words of Jim Cramer from Mad Money, "They Know Nothing!!!"
    I wouldn't be too concerned about what they say. Obviously you have figured out what to do and accomplished the task. I wouldn't even bother saying I told you so because they won't get it. It's a lot like talking to a wall, you can do it but it's a big waste of time. This is precisely why I created the Darksider's Realm... You can bring those kind of things here and not worry about stupid and short sided comments from people who have never done anything but think they are all knowing. My signature says it all...

Later Man...

Windshield buck

Post  koth on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:45 pm

Hey charger thanks for your pictures and info on how to cut windshied to fit.I'm planning to chop the top on my ratrod project and this has been a nagging problem that I thought I would just have to deal with when I got there. Now I know how it's done THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    charger

Post  charger on Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:22 am

i`ve been reading lots of posts on the Hamb about cutting the glass, lots of people have had good sucess with hand held tile saws, this is what i`m going to try, are you using a ranger cab on your rat? because if you are isen`t that tempered glass?
    koth

windshield

Post  koth on Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:57 pm

Yea I plan on using a Ranger cab and ya know i never really thought about the glass being tempered. I wonder if the tempered glass could be cut with a water jet.There is a company here that does that and I've seen all kinds of different material they have cut and it seems to work on just about anything. I probably would have to make a dimensioned drawing for them to go by since that stuffs cnc equipment
    tomget

windshield buck

Post  tomget on Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:26 pm

Hey Charger

Thanks for showing us what how you did that. I can understand your "concerns" about cutting curved glass. I've chopped one truck myself--only one because like "child birth" it takes a while to forget the pain. Meaning I luv it, but "I" thought it was a hell of a lot work. And I did something with a "flat glass winshield" and its a truck/not a 50Merc or whatever with all those windows and moldings/and the slanted rear roof lines etc. I'm amazed when I see guys do those complicated chops. I don't know if I'll ever do another one, but maybe i will, and maybe it will be something with a curved glass windshield--like your truck. I've always avoided things with curved glass because I didn't know how to cut it. I know it can be done and its not easy and "what is that's worthwhile"? So i appreciate your given it a shot. And like Dave said the guys at FTE don't like anyone being "creative" in any way. That's OK. I appreciate their help, and I try to not rock their boats--but I do sometimes and will again--I try to be respectful but I spend more time in art class than I do with my OEM Ford Catalogs. So its just bound to happen, and I try to avoid intentionally screwing with them, but "they're in a protective stance". You know what I mean. Builders like me rub them the wrong way. I'm "open" to people trying to be creative. Really like your project.

Good luck Tom
    charger

Post  charger on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:00 am

koth wrote:Yea I plan on using a Ranger cab and ya know i never really thought about the glass being tempered. I wonder if the tempered glass could be cut with a water jet.There is a company here that does that and I've seen all kinds of different material they have cut and it seems to work on just about anything. I probably would have to make a dimensioned drawing for them to go by since that stuffs cnc equipment
    you could also cut the bottom windshield (mount) whatever you call that thing the windshield sits on, cut a slot and slide the remaining glass into the cowl, you can also do this at the top but i`m not sure a ranger has enough room for this??
    tomget

tempered glass?

Post  tomget on Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:20 pm

Hey Charger

I'm ignorant about the types of glass I guess. You talk about some windshields tempered and some not? I thought---I certainly don't know--that all the windshields now are some kind of "safety glass". Isn't that some sort of two layered tempered glasss with some sort of "sticky" film in the middle and the film kinda keeps it together even when its shattered etc. I can tell by your discussion that I don't "have it right", and i was hoping you could set me straight. Plus I'll look around on the HAMB for articles as you mentioned. I don't have any plans about chopping at the moment, but interested anyway. Just curious about how thigs go etc.

Tom
    charger

Post  charger on Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:50 pm

yes new vehicles have tempered glass with some sort of plastic film in them to kinda keep them together, older vehicles have 2 layers of regular glass with a plastic film in the middle, here`s one og the articles on the HAMB about cutting glass http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141657
    tomget

windshield glass

Post  tomget on Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:51 pm

Hey Charger

Thanks for the info on old versus new windshield glass. I understand now. And I once tried to cut a little piece of contemporary tempered glas. I think it was some scrap glass from a stereo cabinet etc-or whatever. Pretty funny didn't go to well. It can't be done by Me! I was just using regular--scratch it glass type tool etc.
    I'll check out the HAMB article. Thanks

Tom
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave on Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:42 pm

You will want to check with an auto glass shop but I believe the windshields that have the plastic membrane sandwiched between the layers of glass are not tempered glass. The tempered glass is usually used in side and some rear windows. The single layer tempered glass is not strong enough to use in the windshields. If you barely tap a normal side glass in any of todays cars the will break up into hundreds over small pieces. they are made to do this to prevent large shards from developing.

Later Man...

Tempered Glass

Post  Boilermaker on Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:53 pm

Dave is correct. Tempered glass is formed with built-in stresses so it shatters into small pieces when broken. This prevents blade like shards from forming in an accident. The front windshield is formed with two layers of glass that sandwich a layer of plastic. This design helps to prevent objects from penetrating the windshield during an accident. Again, this is to protect the occupants from foreign objects that could otherwise enter the passenger compartment.

Boiler
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:52 pm

Could someone please tell my wife I was right at least once ???

Post  58 ford on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:18 am

Charger
    This is something i have never tried i may attempt this in the future.
    Thanks for the info and the pics!!!
    Later Andrew

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:44 am