Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

+4
sinndustrial
FORDBOYpete
tomget
Darkside Dave
8 posters

Fantasy Projects...

Holmsey
    Holmsey

f100 - Fantasy Projects... - Page 2 Empty Re: Fantasy Projects...

Post  Holmsey Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:23 pm

Hi Guys, I am surprised you haven't heard anything about the Ford Racing FR100.

There was quite a bit of information about it a few year back. From memory (and I have a bad memory)... It was the brain child of the team at Ford racing concepts to show off their awesome cammer engine. They took 2 1954 F100 (later a panel to) and made a full tube chassis, moved the front axle 5 inches forward and extended the cab 6 inch.
    When tested the FR100 lapped only 1sec behind the racing Mustang they built. Also managed 120mph with 2 more gears to go... That is my dream Truck, but maybe in Gold ;o)..
    koth
    koth

Post  koth Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:53 pm

Awesome truck FR 100 If I'm not mistaken I seen this truck sold on Barrett Jackson a few years ago. Don't remember what it sold for but I think money went to charity.
    koth
    koth

f100 - Fantasy Projects... - Page 2 Empty John Deere Fantasy

Post  koth Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:55 pm

I have a fully restored 1969 John Deere 112 garden tractor. I've probably got as much money in as i will have in my ratrod project but it earns it keep each week mowing the yard. My fantasy project is to get another 112 and drop it on the ground and put a snowmobile motor in it and head to Bonneville to get the landspeed record for a lawnmower which i believe is 85 M.P H. I think I could take it.
    tomget
    tomget

f100 - Fantasy Projects... - Page 2 Empty John Deer Bonneville!!

Post  tomget Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:20 pm

John Deer Bonneville?

Now that hounds like a "doable" fantasy and a worthy goal as well. Good luck with that.

Tom
    tomget
    tomget

f100 - Fantasy Projects... - Page 2 Empty Bonneville

Post  tomget Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:21 pm

I meant "sounds", can't type too well.

Tom
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:48 pm

Koth is my neighbor and he is totally committed to the John Deere thing. He says John Deere green is one of the primary colors...
    koth
    koth

f100 - Fantasy Projects... - Page 2 Empty Bonneville John Deere

Post  koth Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:05 pm

I've got a donor body and frame of a John Deere 214 in the building down back now all I need is a snowmobile motor and the courage to hold it wide open.
    FORDBOYpete
    FORDBOYpete

Post  FORDBOYpete Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:04 pm

I knew there's a reason I belong here.
    It shows me I am sane contrary to Pop Opinion. . . . . I have 2 JD's a 111 and a 216 Hydro Drive I cannot find a reasonabley priced 38" twin blade Deck. I sure as hell can't afford $800 or so it costs for a stamped mower deck shell new from JD either.

So both of these great machines are taking up valuable space in my crammed shop. It would be ideal to resto both these Deere's but it's cheaper to buy throw away's than fix JD's. I ran a (UGH!) 18.5 Kohler Powered Craftsman all summer figuring I'd kill it & just throw it away, BUT. . . .

Mind Blower! It has a 46" 3 blade deck. I ran the ass of that machine. All I did all summer was a major tune up & install a new Battery. The Batt' was "iffy & soft/going" when I Scored the machine. None the less it cut over 125 Acres in 5 months. My $375 Investment brought me more income in 5 months than my Govt SS Check does all year. I love my Deere's Also. However there's a limit. There is a reality too. I can't say much bad about my Craftsman (I swore I'd Never buy one, but did) I paid under $400 for it & made a years income in 5 months with it. Hmmm can't complain about that very much. Maybe I'll change the oil in that Craftsman + Kholer this winter, and maybe a new air Filter too. {I jest surely} I'll service the thing, replace a few "soft" wheel bearings & stuff, give it a full lube, R&R a crapload of clevises, tired pins & clips while I'm at it. Then I'll see if I can "kill it" neat year, Huh?

BUT seriously, If any of y'all have a source for clean used or reasonable New JD 38" - 2 Blade (twin) Mower decks with the adjustable hieght ground wheels, let me know, PM me or something. I want to put my 216 -2 Cyl Hydrostatic drive back in the line up. It will move my car trailer with my T-Bird on it (if I put enough air in the tires) My neighbors peek thru' my friggin fences to see what I'm doing & they think I'm way far out crazy. . . . .
    The 2 words I got for them aint "Happy Motoring, or Good Mornin'". . . either. Hah ha ah ROTFLMFAO :-}. . . . . . Koth keep the Green

FBp Cool Shocked Laughing
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:45 pm

I was starting to wonder about you Pete. I forgot to say that koth thinks the other two primary colors are Ford Blue and Primer Gray...

Later Man...
    FORDBOYpete
    FORDBOYpete

Post  FORDBOYpete Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:43 am

Hey Dave,
    I lurk alot here and I have a rather full "plate" now that I'm retired & can take it easy in life. ( Hah!)
    You should've seen our 40's Hangar Dance & Veteran's Day Parade our Museum put on this year. We had a B-25H Mitchell (USN Type made to fly off carriers as Dolittle did) a SNJ-2(USN) or A-6 (Army) which is same aircraft, also known as a Texan at Hangar Dance, plus a 40's style swing band & perhaps 1,000 attendees. It was a hoot!
    The parade was over 1.5 miles long and had nerly 100 entries, all branches, several deuce and a half's, bradleys, a flyover, and much more. It drew perhaps 8,000 to 10,000 spectators and downtown was closed from 08:00 until 14:00
    with military static displays & booths, even rolling thunder attended the events.
    A week's Break with a few minutes to spare, then Thanksgiving & family time. Friday it's off to "Turkey Rod Run" at Daytona Inat'l Speedway, then '09 Ormond Beach AACA annual show. Maybe one of thses days I'll get to straighten out my "Play Pen" and move some of the junk & clutter around in there.
    I gotta go meet people this morning so I'm outta here again for now

CIAO
    FBp
    Shocked Laughing Cool
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:28 am

Hey Pete,

I understand... Retired life ain't as easy as it seems. It's a case of having more things than ever to accomplish and not much time left in life to do them. When you get your playpen cleaned up take some pictures and post them in our shop and equipment category.

Oh BTW, I have one of those Unspeakable Craftsman lawn tractors too. Bought it back in '93 and it's still mowing. You can't kill that Kohler 18 HP two banger. It looks like hell but I'm too cheap to go buy a new one and you can get parts at a lot of different places. For me, mowing grass is a nasty necessity of life and I don't get off on riding around on a shiny lawn toy.

Later Man...

FORDBOYpete
    FORDBOYpete

Post  FORDBOYpete Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:30 pm

Yeah Dave, I copy that Man.

But you gotta understand Man, my Deere spoiled me with Hydrostatic Drive. . . .
    It's so much easier on me, the belts, machine & turf than the 6 speed "tri- geared X dual range" in my Craftsman.
    Some of 6 Fwd speeds are so close to the same it doesn't matter. Plus it struggles & slips trying to shunt my old
    "MT" car trailer, let alone with my Bird on there. It will not move it at all then.
    BUT {or maybe "Butt" ?} ya can't beat the price and if it cranks & works I don't care what it looks like,
    as long as it does the work, ya know?
    Laughing
    FBp Cool
    charger
    charger

Post  charger Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:46 pm

man a year ago i scrapped a mower deck, tiller off a 214 jd, would of fit your 216 no problem, i owned a small engine repair shop (second job) and had taken it in trade for some work on something else, put it for sale and nowbody wanted it so when it was time to move it all went to the schredders.
    FORDBOYpete
    FORDBOYpete

Post  FORDBOYpete Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:22 am

Ouch. . . . That hurts Charger.
    Down here in the BiKiNi state we have this field grass that people use for turf called Pensacola Bahaia and like a few other species it has a hellacious silica content, most grasses here with tall seed head shoots have that. It is so bad that between those shoots and the sand base they grow in decks get sandblasted in 3-4 years time. JD's 38" twin blade mower decks are deep & contoured so critical points get blasted away more than others. It's quite embarassing when a shive, shaft, bearing housing & blade drop thru a deck get hit by the 2nd blade, then run over it doing more damage.

I don't know why shallow decks & 3 blade decks don't have that problem like John Deeres do, other than maybe their design & configuraion. Also you can't put same Deere High Lift blades on flatter decks like on JD deep decks either. I've learned a lot about interchange-ability with 38" JD mower decks. The difference I learned to watch is ground wheels. Some are height adjustable, some are not. The earlier 110's are not, 111's are.
    Anyway decent 38" JD Mowerdeck shells bring $300- $325 w/ adjustable ground wheels if clean & not sand blasted or rusted/ rotted out.

I've a 111 with a Kawasaki 11hp & my 216 with Briggs IC 16Hp Twin. Of course it lacks pressurized oiling, but I found if I use a good 30HD oil & keep it clean or changed regular there is no problem here in the Flatlands of Florida. I heard horror stories of running hills & embankments with that engine though. My 216 is a 1987, my 111 a 1990. I like them better, but they are pricey if I need to go to J Deere for the pieces/ parts. . . Also around here they have riding mower races & IC twin 16 Hps dominate with gear drive.
    Shocked
    FBp Cool
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:07 am

Oh Noooooo !!!!

The Fantasy Project Thread has turned into a Mower Thread.

Of all the categories I dreamed up I forgot to put in a category for the lawn mowers.

If I do it's going to have to be about Darkside mowers.

Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, that I can live with... But you can always make it better.

Sandblast those decks down to bare metal and epoxy primer them and then a coat of bedliner. that way they will last.

Don't thank me, just send money...

Later Folks...

DL BOGART
    DL BOGART

f100 - Fantasy Projects... - Page 2 Empty fiat style slugbug

Post  DL BOGART Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:37 am

There is a fine example of a vw bug done in street rod style which can be seen at http://www.whatareyouworkinon.com/, look up Jimbobjoe57. My fantasies are: Old Willys Jeep wagon on ranger exploder 4x4 running gear. Have started gathering parts to do it. 64-67 elcamino with 4wd underneath, 64 0r 65 cutlass /442 front clip, 65 442 "side scoops" with an extra 4 and an x "4X442". '63 f85 wagon on an s10 blazer 4x4 chassis with the 215 aluminum turbo v8 from a 63 olds jetfire. There's an old ford british hillman at a local scrapyard that is also intiguing. It's a 4 door, but with some better power, suspension and brakes... A 30 something 5 window coupe made into an extended cab pickup by cutting of the trunk and putting on the rear bulhead/cab corners from a same year and make pickup and the bed from the same. I tried to put a scetch of the Willys project on here but couldn't get 'er done. Don't know how this photo thing works. I'd like to make my wifes 78 4 door olds omega which she inherited when her dad passed away back in 98 into a bit of a street machine. I have switched it from a 2 bbl to a carter 4bbl on a pre egr intake, and put a set of hi comp 305 truck heads on it. Anyhow make it so she could run away from some punk in a rice rocket and he could see the bumper sticker that says "Is my fathers' Oldsmobile". I never liked that "not your fathers' oldsmobile" ad to begin with. My dad had several when I was kid, and they never appeared so sedate and mundane to me.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:14 am

My cousin had a white '58 Olds 98 with tri-power on it and it was a sceamer for that much iron.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:09 am