Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

+4
sinndustrial
FORDBOYpete
tomget
Darkside Dave
8 posters

Fantasy Projects...

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

truck - Fantasy Projects... Empty Fantasy Projects...

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:52 am

Hi Folks,
    I often find myself thinking I could do this or that if I had a something I saw or ran across here and there. Mostly I fantasize about dirt cheap fun projects which are mainly an investment of a lot more time than money.

I thought it might be interesting to hear about some ideas you folks have that you would like to do but will probably never happen due to obvious restraints in time, money and/or facilities. I'll ad a few of mine to start this off.

I'd like to keep this simple and as all of you to rank you fantasy project in one of three categories. The categories would be Ultimate high end show grade projects, mid level practical projects and low end, do it cheap as you can projects. Just start off your post with what category your fantasy project would be. Feel free to add sketches and any picture you want.

OK, I'll be waiting to hear from you folks. This should make for some interesting reading. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, replies in the form of somments and questions are also welcome and encouraged.

Later Folks...

Last edited by Darkside Dave on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

truck - Fantasy Projects... Empty One of my crazy ideas...

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:08 am

I sometimes run across the remains of an older 50's or 60's vintage extremely small car, usually foreign, that I would like to fool around with and put it on a different chassis with a monster V8 in that would make it a real sleeper. I would make it as safe and structurally sound as possible but I would not waste time or money on fancy stuff. Years ago I found and bought a little Fiat sedan that would probably have been a great candidate for something like this but I ended up selling the thing because I had to move and it had a bad engine. Another problem at that time was that I did not have any facilities to do the work in. Since that time I find myself occasionally thinking about doing a similar project but the reality is that time is my greatest limitation. However if I could find a Ford Pinto in good enough shape That I could afford, I would probably buy it and try to do something like I described here. I can't imagine anything that would be more terrifying to the rice burners.

That's just one of my crazy ideas...

Later Folks...
    tomget
    tomget

truck - Fantasy Projects... Empty Ford Pinto project

Post  tomget Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:08 am

Dave

I think that's a good idea for a thread. I'm getting older and with even less money so I've got lots of ideas, but unlikely to get much actually accomplished. Nothing wrong with dreaming I do it almost every night. I'll think of some of my own fantacies. But in the mean time, I mentioned just to someone in a post the other day about a really cool project with Pintos. A few years back there was some "shop teacher" guy in Socal building Pintos/cars and wagons and he'd install "big" turboed/& nitrous? 2.3L Ford motors etc. He really gottem going fast on a budget, and had a tremendous amount of wrecking yard stuff that wouldn't cost all that much etc. So you might Google the "Pinto Guy" and see if you can find more info. You'll eat Hondas with this thing. If someone is "really interested" I've got his contact info "somewhere" and I'll dig it out if you contact me.

Good luck Tom
    Anonymous

truck - Fantasy Projects... Empty Re: Fantasy Projects...

Post  Guest Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:05 pm

Fantasy?

Ok remember the 37 Fiat gassers?
    I think it would be cool to build one but use a VW bug body.
    Probably a fantasy because it doesnt really excite me enuff to actually do it.
    Y'all can run with the idea

Is it a fantasy if I really really want to do it?

I want to take an AA chassis and a Model A tudor body....and add another pair of tudor doors....This would make a pretty long Model A which would fit pretty well on the AA chassis.

Of course I would have to cut out the back for a rear door, sedan delivery style.

I really really want to do this and have all the parts...just need some of my more urgent needs to be met first.
    y'all dont steal this idea!
    haha
    tomget
    tomget

truck - Fantasy Projects... Empty 37 Flat Gasser

Post  tomget Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:51 pm

Bgarret

When you say 37 Flat Gasser, is that the 37Ford 2door? sedan with the "no hump" rear deck? So to speak.

Tom

truck - Fantasy Projects... 14115
    Anonymous

Post  Guest Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:46 pm

37-48 F i A T Topolino

You must be as blind as I am Smile

look here
    http://www.rodnrace.com/product/984/1937-Fiat-Coupe-Body.htm?CFID=8555930&CFTOKEN=26283152
    tomget
    tomget

Post  tomget Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:50 pm

Oh F I A T

You're right about my eyesight. Its not the best. I've got 4 different pairs of glasses
    depending on what I'm doing. But even with that the computer text is often a little
    less clear than printed text. At least to me.

Ya the Topolino

Thanks funny.

Goodluck Tom
    tomget
    tomget

Post  tomget Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:56 pm

This is the Fiat Topolino you mentioned:

Goodluck Tom

truck - Fantasy Projects... P3460tall_250
    tomget
    tomget

truck - Fantasy Projects... Empty Fiat Topolino

Post  tomget Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:03 pm

Bgarret

I'd like to build one of the Topolino's with one of the new Ford Focus type 4cylinder
    Turbo motors etc. I don't know what I'd do about the suspension/frame etc. I'd have to think
    about that. But I'd build it not for drags, but as a road car. Or maybe something for autocrossing.
    And hopefully i could somehow convert it to rear wheel drive. If that was too difficult maybe
    I'd just use the Ford 86+- Turbo Coupe 2.3L turbo w/Tremec 5spd and 8.5" differential with
    narrowed housing and axles. And maybe build my own frame w/Mustang 2 or find a donor frame/
    suspension on which set the Toplolino body.

Tom
    Anonymous

Post  Guest Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:11 pm

That Fiat doesnt look like the ones I remember,its just the first pic I found
    I mean its more streetroddy than gasser but imagine that with a bug body
    big tires, headers sticking out and the straight axle out front
    I just think the bug and Fiat bodys are very similar
    tomget
    tomget

truck - Fantasy Projects... Empty bug bodies

Post  tomget Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:39 pm

Bgarret

Ya for sure the Bug bodies and this Fiat are totally the same "rounded look" etc. Either
    looks great for this treatment for sure.I worked at a gas station one summer in
    highschool and the owner and his pal built a bright orange colored Fiat-it looked the same
    as the white one pictured earlier but less money on tires/etc. It was a really off street drag
    set up with small block chevy stuff, but in the time i worked their they never got it running.
    I wonder if they made a big mistake of some sort.Maybe they got it running later, but I don't recall
    ever hearing it fire

Tom
    FORDBOYpete
    FORDBOYpete

Post  FORDBOYpete Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:42 pm

FIAT....? As In Fix It Again Tony? The boys in Italy who bought out Pentastar? HMMMmmmmm???

Have you seen the Deuce Roadster Pete, from Pete & Jakes built for his Dad several years ago? It was in Street Rodder a while back. It's an off the shelf frame & glass replica roadster shell and used Aerostar drivetrain with a knock off dropped front I beam and Aerostar front disc set up. Looked like a great winter project for not too much $$$.
    HAh ha ha ha Too Bad we don't get winter here in the BiKiNi State. . . . Else't I had built me one, a while back, myself. Lord Knows I have Aerostar parts to do it. I was looking for a Failed Deuce Roadster project, or a maybe a 27 T Model track roadster somebody could not complete, or hurting for cash. But that's not going to happening any time soon here.

Oh well mind wandering is good exercise isn't it? Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

CIAO

FBp Cool
    sinndustrial
    sinndustrial

truck - Fantasy Projects... Empty fantasy project....

Post  sinndustrial Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:50 pm

ok , well you guys might laugh at me for this one, i dont know. but here goes. after looking at pics of the Delta, i got to thinkin... i wonder what it would look like to see one of these cars done up pro touring style? i have never seen anyone do a B-body, probably for good reason ( other than doing lowriders with them or those " ridiculous donks" thingys' ) but i think it would be pretty fresh to see one mini-tubbed with a nice paxton supercharged big block peekin out from under a custom 3 inch cowl hood. 2 tone black and silver paint job, red pinstripe to split the two colors and black BBS wheels, 20 in the rear, 18 in front. sounds neat to me... but then thats why its a fantasy project....
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:54 pm

Hey Man, what ever blows up your skirt...

Later...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:50 am

FORDBOYpete wrote: FIAT....? As In Fix It Again Tony? The boys in Italy who bought out Pentastar? HMMMmmmmm???

Have you seen the Deuce Roadster Pete, from Pete & Jakes built for his Dad several years ago? It was in Street Rodder a while back. It's an off the shelf frame & glass replica roadster shell and used Aerostar drivetrain with a knock off dropped front I beam and Aerostar front disc set up. Looked like a great winter project for not too much $$$.
    HAh ha ha ha Too Bad we don't get winter here in the BiKiNi State. . . . Else't I had built me one, a while back, myself. Lord Knows I have Aerostar parts to do it. I was looking for a Failed Deuce Roadster project, or a maybe a 27 T Model track roadster somebody could not complete, or hurting for cash. But that's not going to happening any time soon here.

Oh well mind wandering is good exercise isn't it? Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

CIAO

FBp Cool

Hi Pete,
    Glad to see you are hitting the board a little more lately... Your mention of the Aerostar stuff brought me to mind of my second '53 F-100 project. I Mention it here because it may end up being a fantasy project even though I have collected major parts for it. At this point in life time has become both my friend and enemy. As long as I manage to live for another 20 years it is my friend because as a retired person I have more of it. It is my enemy because I will not be able to get all the stuff I'm into done in whatever life span I have left. In the case of this project I have no idea what will happen.

I got the idea about using an Aerostar when I read that some guys were using the front suspension system on the '53-'56 series of F-100's to modernize the steering, front suspension and brakes. I found a '97 with the electronic all wheel drive system. Since I am into 4WD I thought it might be unique to adapt the whole drive train to a custom built rolling chassis to put under my second '53. At the time I was also getting an itch for a '53-'55 panel truck. I soon gave that up because there were only about a tenth as many panels as there were pick ups made. I found two miserable '54s for about the same as the national debt. After that hard dose of reality smacked me square in the kisser I got a wild idea. Since I bought the whole Aerostar I decided that it might be possible to use the back section of the Aerostar body shell to make my own fat fendered panel truck. Here is a picture of what I came up with.

truck - Fantasy Projects... 53areostar20h

I call it my chick friendly project truck. It would have all the convenience and luxury a woman would want including the automatic all wheel drive and a somewhat economic to operate drive train. I have done a lot of research and checking stuff like measurements and such. The color in the picture is just what was available when it was PhotoShoped. It would actually match my '03 F-350 Dually that is Sonic Blue over Silver. It is very feasible but also a lot of work. I would need at least five more healthy years to get through it. That would make me 70 by the time it was done. That is why I say it could well be just a fantasy. I have collected the parts for the project though. I have both the '53 and the Aerostar with good clear titles which is the hardest stuff to get, the rest I need is in abundance around here.

Later Folks...
    tomget
    tomget

truck - Fantasy Projects... Empty Aerostar/F100

Post  tomget Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:25 am

Ya Dave

That's an interesting concept. I've never even been in an Aerostar or given them any attention to speak.
    But I like modern mechanics--don't know much about it though. And I'm a fan from a distance with all wheel drive in that I think it just makes good sense. I almost bought a Subaru way back when for a work wagon/ type thing because it looked practical for my needs. It was used and cheap,back in late 80??"s, but it looked like the "CV" joints etc were all pretty bad and I wasn't sure about my knowledge and prices to fix etc. But I for sure like the all wheel drive concept. And the Aero/F100 has a cool look to it. Might be fun.

Tom
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:45 pm

Hi Tom,
    I have not only been in an Aerostar but I bought a new one is '87 with all the bells and whistles that they had back then. I really liked it but I traded it in on a big van because I bought a cabin cruiser boat that was way too big to pull with the Aerostar. I really liked the Aerostar and it got pretty good mileage.

Like I said, this could well be just a fabtasy.

Later Man...
    Holmsey
    Holmsey

Post  Holmsey Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:06 pm

Not sure if this is what you mean but, for me I dream about owning an FR100 most nights as I go to sleep ;o).....

truck - Fantasy Projects... Fr100
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:20 pm

Hey Holmsey,
    Good to hear from you again... That's a nice looking truck but I think your's looks pretty good so I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you. What's the difference between an F-100 and an FR-100???

Later Man...
    [

tomget
    tomget

truck - Fantasy Projects... Empty FR 100

Post  tomget Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:34 pm

Ya Holmsey

What is that? Never seen it before. Is it a "real Ford Racing concept truck". Or just some kind
    of clever joke? I like the Bonneville/Mooneye hub caps. I've got them on another truck of mine. I even
    tested them for looks on my 58F100, but they didn't look good on it to me. But they look good on this rig.
    Plus I don't recall every seeing such a "low profile" tire on a F100 either. Cool looking. Let us know what
    this is all about.

Tom
    tomget
    tomget

truck - Fantasy Projects... Empty Ford Racing F100

Post  tomget Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:40 pm

OK Holmesy

I couldn't wait. I did a quick Google and found this article re: SEMA SHOW: and I'm sure there's more out there, but I never saw this until now. And I get a bunch of mags, but not the ones that covered this build etc. Really cool mechanics.

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/autoshows/sema2002/ford/fr100.html

Tom
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:23 pm

Wow !!!

Thanks Tom... Never saw anything like that before... That's got to be one hell of a sleeper.

I guess that does sort of qualify as a fantasy, but it's more of a goal than a project. It's way beyond my shop's level.

Anonymous

Post  Guest Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:36 pm

tomget wrote:I like the Bonneville/Mooneye hub caps. I've got them on another truck of mine. I even
    tested them for looks on my 58F100, but they didn't look good on it to me.

The Moon eyes push truck was a fleetside like yours Tomget.
    It had Moon Discs and I like it so much I have been considering buying a fleetside bed for mine

heres my 60, taken today

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34245039@N00/4094386562/
    tomget
    tomget

truck - Fantasy Projects... Empty Mooneyes truck

Post  tomget Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:56 pm

Bgarrett

Ya for sure. I know the Mooneye truck and that's why i gave it a shot with installing the discs on my 58F100. But for whatever reason it just didn't look as good on mine as it did on there's. And wasn't the Mooneye push truck yellow too? Like your truck Bgarrett?

Tom
    Anonymous

Post  Guest Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:02 pm

tomget wrote:Bgarrett

Ya for sure. I know the Mooneye truck and that's why i gave it a shot with installing the discs on my 58F100. But for whatever reason it just didn't look as good on mine as it did on there's. And wasn't the Mooneye push truck yellow too? Like your truck Bgarrett?

Tom

well, not QUITE as yellow....
    If I had known how yellow it would turn out, I'd have painted Bordens Milk and Elsie the cow on the doors Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am