Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

+10
tomget
scrapheap51
DL BOGART
stevof1
55f350
58 ford
carnut122
FRANKENTRUCK
charger
Darkside Dave
14 posters

First '53 Build Thread

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: First '53 Build Thread

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:40 pm

Hi Folks,

After the better part of two weeks spent getting a car ready,see https://darksidersrealm.forumotion.com/other-stuff-f53/goodbye-to-an-old-friend-t383.htm for my step grandson Toby who is just starting another phase of training in the Navy as a Field Medical Corpsman at Camp Lejeune, entertaining out of town guests as well as working my car club's biggest show of the year, I'm finally back on the project.

Today I finished the joining of the old chassis of the Explorer to the back section I fabricated to accommodate the T-Bird IRS and support the bed. Below are a few pictures.

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 ChassiisMod1

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 ChassiisMod2

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 ChassiisMod3

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 ChassiisMod4

I had to do some filler work after I ground down the welds because there were so many factory holes in the Explorer frame where it was joined to the back section. I was concerned that they would stick out like a sore thumb because they might be visible through the rear fender openings. When I pull it out of the shop I will coat all the new steel with the same red primer that is on the rest of the frame. I won't be painting the frame until all the welding mods are done. The red primer is just keeping the rust from starting unti I am ready to paint. With luck I will be test fitting the drive train next week. More pictures then...

Later Folks...

[
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 Empty Fitting the drive train...

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:24 pm

Hi Folks,

I've been busy for several days doing other stuff and I finally got back to the truck project. I got the drive train into the shop and turned the rolling chassis around so I could start to get it all figured out. Today I spent about three hours positioning the engine, tranny and transfer case. It's going to be a close fit. Below are some pictures.

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 DTfit1-1

Positioning the drive train in the chassis.

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 DTfit2-1

1/4" clearance between the blower drive idler and the front left "A" arm top bushing

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 DTfit3

About 1/4" to 3/8" clearance between the oil pan and the fixed position front differential

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 DTfit4

About 1/4" space between the starter port on the bell housing and the boxed frame

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 DTfit5

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 DTfit6-1

It looks as though there will be plenty of space for the steering shaft and the front right header.

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 DTfit7-1

Not very much space on the right side and the header will probably have to be modified.

The next move is to start fabricating and modifying mounts. Then I am going to see how the cab fits over all this. Stay tuned for more excitement.

Later Folks...

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 Empty Getting back to the project...

Post  Darkside Dave Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:07 am

Hi Folks,

Due to my responsibilities with my new part time teaching job with the local Vocational and Adult Education School and a host of other things, I have had to put the truck project on the back burner for almost two weeks. Today I hope to make some progress but it won't be much I'm afraid.

All I have done since the last posting is go to Pull-A-Part and get a transmission cross member and a different top loaded shifter for the tranny. The cross member is going to work OK with some modification but the top loader was a bust. Even though it's from a M5R2 tranny it has a different bolt pattern. I really thought I had it all figured out when I found it. The problem I am going to have with the one that works is that it is positioned too far forward and it will actually sit in front of the cutout in the Explorer floor pan I am using. It will also be way too gar forward for my liking. I will have to fabricate my own shift lever wit an extreme bend at the base to get it to extend far enough back. I am also concerned with the clearance allowed by the Explorer dash I am using. I have to admit I would be way better off using an automatic transmission but I just had my mind set on a five speed manual for this truck. If things don't work out I may have to go hunt down an automatic with a transfer case that fits this thing.

I am going to bring the cab back in the shop and sit it up on the rear part of the chassis I fabricated so that I can slide it up to position to check the fitment. luckily I will be able to move it in and back out of position rather easily as I fully expect that there will be about four or five rounds of moving it in and out of position while making various modifications and adjustments.

Hopefully by tonight I will have some pictures posted of the days activities which should help to explain what I am trying to explain here. The day's weather ia already looking great for this as part of the day's activity will be outside.

Later Folks...

Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 Empty Another step closer...

Post  Darkside Dave Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:07 pm

Hi Folks,

Well I did get another step closer today. I managed to get the modified cab back in the shop and now it's sitting on the rolling chassis. Koth helped me move it forward into it's approximate position after I got it back in the shop and on the bed platform of the chassis. It's been sitting out under the rear deck trussed up in a tarp for over a month. It feels good just to have it back in the shop. Below are some pictures taken today.

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 CabInShop1-1

I got the cab this far by myself

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 CabFit1

Here the cab is in approximate position

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 CabFit2

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 CabFit3

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 CabFit4

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 CabFit5

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 ShftTwr1

Unfortunately the top loader with the set back shifter I acquired did not fit this particular model of the M5R2 so I am going to have to cut out a hole for the shifter in front of the removable floor panel. It will be even further forward because I need to pull the cab mounts back two inches to center the wheels in the front fender openings. Normally I would just move the engine and tranny back two inches but it has to be where it is now to fit the chassis. It looks as though I'm going to have to re shape the shift lever and hope it will work out so far up under the dash. The explorer dash does hang down close to the floor. There may be even more modifications required.

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 TbirdIRS1

I just happened to notice that I had a shot of the T-Bird IRS from this angle and I decided to ad it here.

When I am sure that the cab will work out set back and the shifter will work I'll fabricate new engine mounts and then move the cab mounts back on the chassis.

Later Folks...

58 ford
    58 ford

Post  58 ford Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:28 am

Hey Dave
    You are making real nice progress,cant wait too see a test fit with the cab and the box!!
    Later Andrew
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:36 pm

58 ford wrote:Hey Dave
    You are making real nice progress,cant wait too see a test fit with the cab and the box!!
    Later Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

Right now everything is just propped and shoed in to what should be the final position for the drive train but the cab is not in position and it is propped up in front until I cut in the shifter hole. I just hung my fitting dash and I am still not sure that everything will fit. I was really counting on that back set shifter I got from the yard but it seems that the M5R2 trannys have different top loader bolt patterns. The box is going to be some time off in the future because I have to fabricate parts of it. I'm going to use a tread plate floor in it because I may actually want to haul stuff in this thing and wood will get messed up real easy. Wood is pretty but it's not easy to keep looking nice.

The worst thing about a project like this with so many modifications and parts that were never intended for it, is that it will be put together and taken apart at least three times. When I do get the cab, bed and all the other body parts fitted I will have to take it all back apart to paint everything. I will be tearing the engine down enough to replace gaskets and pretty up all the stuff that shows. I am going to have to make my own inner fenders and fab up some kind of core support that will integrate with the old style splash panels that tie into the fenders right behind the head lights. There is at least another year's work in this thing and that is only if I stick with it. I have several other jobs that take precedence. Before I'm done this build thread will be 20 pages long if I keep posting at the present rate. Maybe I should hold back on the intensity of the posting.

Later...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 Empty Back in action...

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:34 am

Hi Folks,

I went down to Atlanta to visit my son and we got back home Monday night. Just now getting back on the truck project again. This afternoon Koth is coming by after work to help me tip the cab back on it's back to rest on the bed platform so I can try positioning the engine and tranny back further. After that I need to put the cab back in position to see if I can fit it. Everything is going to be very close. Maybe by tomorrow I'll have some pictures posted. If I can get by this stage I will be able to start fitting the cab abd front body parts to the rolling chassis. At this point everything I do leads to more stuff I will have to figure out and do. Much of the stuff that pops up along the way was not considered in the original planning. Of course this is because there was really no way to know until I started trying to put all this stuff together. Everyone says that my real challenge is going to be all the electrical and instrumentation and control. While it's true there is a definite challenge there, I know it's not a matter of fitting and positioning which to me has been a bigger challenge. I have literally spent days just staring at every thing trying to figure out how to locate every thing.

Later Folks...
    stevof1
    stevof1

Post  stevof1 Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:04 pm

Yep, I keep telling my friends, this isn't just replacing stock parts, and then putting it back together, it's modifying everything, so that different stuff will work together. There is no manual for when we screw up, just forums with guys with more experience willing to help when we need it!
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:00 pm

stevof1 wrote:Yep, I keep telling my friends, this isn't just replacing stock parts, and then putting it back together, it's modifying everything, so that different stuff will work together. There is no manual for when we screw up, just forums with guys with more experience willing to help when we need it!

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my day here. I spent all day moving, measuring and fitting and all I managed to do is learn that I have more stuff to modify. In order to get everything to fit I am going to have to fabricate special mounts for the engine and tranny, take stuff off the back of the engine, move back and raise the cab mounts and modify my floor pan. That will set me back at least another week. Unfortunately there are no pictures for today. One step forward and three steps back...

Later Man...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 Empty Trying to get back on the project...

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:23 pm

Hi Folks,

No, I didn't croak yet, I just got overloaded with other stuff to do. I noticed that it has been over two months since I last posted. That is because I have done little more than look at the project when I pass by it in the shop. I bought a John Deere 332 diesel garden tractor with a hydraulic blade on the front that I needed to get in shape for the snow and then my back went out on me. Add to that the rigors of the Holiday season and the old truck project gets ignored.

Yesterday I finally got back to the project. I didn't accomplish a lot. I spent several hours tyring to find the right location for my drive train and I was having no luck. Earlier, as you may have noticed if you have been watching this thread, I thought I had it all figured out. WRONG!!! When I put the cab in place I discovered that the engine was too close to the firewall and I would not be able to get the outside part of the heat and A/C unit back where it belongs. Also the shifter on the tranny was way too far forward. This has created quite a problem for me as I really want to use this engine and tranny and I also want the 4WD. So, here's where I am now.

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 DriveTrain1
    So, here's my problem, I cant go farther forward with the engine because the rear oil pan sump hits the front differential and when I do get the drive train far enough forward the shifter is too far forward. Unfortunately this leads to comprimise and that's a problem too. I have recently discovered that the 3.8L and the 4.2L share the same block and the parts are interchangable. This got me to thinking that maybe the 4.2L used in the F-150s with 4WD may use a different oil pan. My 3.8L has a cast aluminum pan so there isn't a lot I cn do to modify it. I need to do more research but I'm thinking I need to find a 4.2L drivetrain with a bad engine and the five speed manual OD tranny with transfer case for the 4WD. What would also work would be 302/5.0L set up from an Explorer Sport with the five speed manual set up and 4WD. Yeah, I know, good luck with that.

It's starting to look as though I'm going to have to tie down and tarp over this project while I do some more research and parts hunting. That means I'll soon be hauling in another donor or two which is not going to make my wife happy. I also have some pressing projects in the shop that need to be done by Spring, several of which will pay money that can go into this project.

I'm kind of bummed out by this. For a while there I thought Im was really making headway and then this... I know, there are other way to go. It's just that I have been so stoked to go with this 3.8L SC engine every since I ran it before taking the SC apart. For a V6 that thing screams. My bull headed stuborness is probably my greatest hinderance. I get something in my mind and that's the way it has to be with no concessions. I've already changed my mind several times along the way with this project and that has led to a lot of donors coming and going with a lot of time invested stripping them and selling off the unwanted remains. That in itself was profitable but it also took away a lot of time that I could have spent on the project. If this keeps up I'm going to have to look for some inside storage space or build another building. As usual with my life, I am forever strugling to keep from drowning in my own excrement

Later Folks....
    carnut122
    carnut122

Post  carnut122 Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:21 pm

Hey Dave,
    Keep after it!

Tom
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:36 pm

Hey Carnut,

Where have you been man??? great to hear from you again. So how do you like that winter weather we sent down to you? Last night you had a lower temp forcasted there than we did up here in Ohio. What's the latest on your truck?

Later Man...
    carnut122
    carnut122

Post  carnut122 Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:43 pm

I'm off all week due to the 4" of snow(like that ever happened in Illinois when I lived there). Unfortunately, we'll be making it up; oh well.
    The truck? It's painted an kind of bolted together except for the hood. I have to redo part of the brakes hydraulics, hook up the power steering pump,ac/heating, transmission kick-down, e-brakes, put the door glass in, re-wire the whole truck, put in an interior and then it will be kind of done. The bottom line is I doubt it will be done before August. Oh well, I'm in no hurry. Are you coming down this way anytime soon? Are you still interested in 4 front fenders and three rear fenders? Basically, you could use the extras as patch panels and come out with 4 decent fenders. I didn't want to mess with it and went fiberglass. I'd let the whole pile go very reasonably. The last I heard, I was supposed to take pictures- which I did. Then, I dropped the ball.
    It looks like you've been busy too, but are in pretty much the same boat that I'm in.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:04 pm

OK, get the pictures up and let me know what you want for them.

I can always have my son pick them up if i want them.

Later Man...
    58 ford
    58 ford

Post  58 ford Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:07 pm

HI Dave
    This may seem like a stupid idea, But i was going through your build pics and had a thought.
    Is it possible to drop your suspension front and rear thus giving your oil pan the clearance it needs?
    I am just going by pics so if this seems out there sorry if i could eyeball it it would be easier to help.
    As far as the 4.2 a buddy down the rd just pulled the exact setup you decscribed so i called him to see about the oil pan and he told me that his is cast and part of the bellhousing and acorrding to his sources is specific to the 4.2. Anyway just thought i would put my 2 cents in thinking maybe it would give you some ideas!!
    Later Andrew
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:01 pm

58 ford wrote:HI Dave
    This may seem like a stupid idea, But i was going through your build pics and had a thought.
    Is it possible to drop your suspension front and rear thus giving your oil pan the clearance it needs?
    I am just going by pics so if this seems out there sorry if i could eyeball it it would be easier to help.
    As far as the 4.2 a buddy down the rd just pulled the exact setup you decscribed so i called him to see about the oil pan and he told me that his is cast and part of the bellhousing and acorrding to his sources is specific to the 4.2. Anyway just thought I would put my 2 cents in thinking maybe it would give you some ideas!!
    Later Andrew

Hi Andrew,
    I thought I had answered this post but apparently something went awry on my end or the server. So here goes... The 3.8 and the 4.2 are one in the same block wise. Yes they both have a cast aluminum oil pan and it does also bolt the the bell housing. As it turns out, it would make no difference if I could get a pan with a reversed sump location. it would just interfere otherwisew. BTW, guys who are into the T-Bird SCs, and still drag race them, have often gone to the 4.2 block for a little extra punch. It looks as though I have but two options. One is to set the engine higher than I would like it which is going to result in a increased slant on the whole drive train and modifications to my floor pan tunnel. The second option makes more sense but it would involve a whole lot more expense. If I went to a dry sump system it would eliminate the oil pan sump but I don't know if anybody makes a dry sump system for the SC engine and if they do make one it probably is way too expensive for my build budget. So, the higher slanted drive train is probably going to be the way I go. The low profile of the supercharged engine and the ample room afforded by the high hood of the '53 allow for a lot of space to raise the engine. The downside is the higher center of gravity and extra modifications required.

All the above, Winter temps and a lot of other stuff I have been doing has put the truck project on hold for a while. I should be getting back into it in mid March. Sooner or later I will get something worked out.

Later Man...

Dave
    carnut122
    carnut122

Post  carnut122 Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:51 pm

Hey Dave,

I spent a bit of time looking through your thread. You sure do know how to build a complicated project! Is there any way to get a shifter with a more rearword location? I didn't read it, so what kind of tranny is that? I know T5's have different shift assemblies depending on what they're put into. Some have the shifter more towards the rear. I'm curious, are you going to be putting the T-bird buckets into your truck? I have a pair of 87 T-bird buckets that I'd like to use, but the leather has seen a few thousand too many miles. I wish I could find new skins for them.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:09 pm

carnut122 wrote:Hey Dave,

I spent a bit of time looking through your thread. You sure do know how to build a complicated project! Is there any way to get a shifter with a more rearword location? I didn't read it, so what kind of tranny is that? I know T5's have different shift assemblies depending on what they're put into. Some have the shifter more towards the rear. I'm curious, are you going to be putting the T-bird buckets into your truck? I have a pair of 87 T-bird buckets that I'd like to use, but the leather has seen a few thousand too many miles. I wish I could find new skins for them.

Actually the original tranny from the SC would have worked nicely but it was not set up with a transfer case for the 4WD. Look back at page two of my thread and you will see the transmissions. They are actually made by Mazda and they are called M5R2s. I thought I found a top loader that was set back but it turned out it was for an M4. I have an idea about how to get things set up but it involves setting the engine higher and that creates other problems to deal with. I'll eventually get it figured out.

Later Man...

Dave
    DL BOGART
    DL BOGART

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 Empty More foolish ideas

Post  DL BOGART Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:40 am

If the engine is sitting where it will work, whynot move the cab back, heat up the shift lever and bend it to fit your hand, then cut out the wheel arches and move them to line up with the tires. it will shorten the front overhang a bit, which will improve your aproach angle, and make people scratch their heads and wonder what is different about your truck from others of its generation. I saw a build of a 56 f100 done this way( I think it was in car craft magazine) several years ago. they carefully layed out the cuts, then cut out the wheel arches in such a way that allowed the cutout piece from the ahead of the left wheel to move to the right rear and vice versa. It may even be possible to cut just ahead of the flared portion on the front, and the proper amount behind it on the back and swap sides with the whole wheel arch. Cut straight up, and straight back, make both pieces the same size and butt weld them in, filling the gap with weld.....piece of cake right?...Or get those extra fendres from car nut, cut them a little bigger, use a step flange pliers to make a flush lap weld..It actually improved the look of the truck. Just food for thought.....

Last edited by DL BOGART on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : had more stupid ideas)
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:14 pm

DL BOGART wrote:If the engine is sitting where it will work, whynot move the cab back, heat up the shift lever and bend it to fit your hand, then cut out the wheel arches and move them to line up with the tires. it will shorten the front overhang a bit, which will improve your aproach angle, and make people scratch their heads and wonder what is different about your truck from others of its generation. I saw a build of a 56 f100 done this way( I think it was in car craft magazine) several years ago. they carefully layed out the cuts, then cut out the wheel arches in such a way that allowed the cutout piece from the ahead of the left wheel to move to the right rear and vice versa. It may even be possible to cut just ahead of the flared portion on the front, and the proper amount behind it on the back and swap sides with the whole wheel arch. Cut straight up, and straight back, make both pieces the same size and butt weld them in, filling the gap with weld.....piece of cake right?...Or get those extra fendres from car nut, cut them a little bigger, use a step flange pliers to make a flush lap weld..It actually improved the look of the truck. Just food for thought.....

Hi DL,
    Actually the cab is being moved back about two inches to make the front wheels center on the well wells. This is because the mounts on the Explorer rolling chassis were originally going to be used as is and I intended to use them to bolt down the Explorer floor pan that is integrated into the '53 cab. After I set it on the chassis I noticed that the front wheels were too far back. I cant't go back farther than two inches because of the way the chassis has been modified in the rear to accomodate the IRS from the T-Bird and also support the bed. The problem with moving the drive train either forward or backward is because it has a natural sweet spot to sit in that doesn't vary more than a half inch. The shifter is so far forward that it comes up about where the heat and AC ducting is under the dash. Remember, I'm using the complete Explorer firewall and floor pan as one piece and I'm also using the complete Explorer dash including all the controls, instruments and the heat and AC as it was in the '99 Explorer. I have however come up with a solution I think. I designed a linkage that fastens on the shifter stub and is linked to another stub and ball socket back overt the coupling housing that mates the tranny with the transfer case. Essentially it will use two small U-joints like those used in steering column linkage and about 15" of 5/8" steel rod. Not too much different than the shift linkage used in the cab over semi tractors... I will also have to modify the transmission tunnel a bit but it won't show because I am going to build a special console to cover it and hold some of my ham radio equipment. The other problem is that the engine does interfere with the A/C plenum box that fits on the outside of the firewall but I think I have that problem solved. I am going to make an offset transition piece that will move it over two inches and out about the same. This shouldn't be a problem as there is a lot of room up front and I am making my own inner fender panels.

If I had gone with a two wheel drive set up the tranny from the T-Bird SC would have worked perfect and I would also had lots of wiggle room to move the drive train with no front differential in the way. Hey, if it was easy, rat rodders would be doing this. I have a bad habbit of taking the more difficult path every time. It's really amazing how stock this thing will look when it's done. It won't be jacked up or have wheels and tires sticking out from under the fenders. As a matter of fact, I think it's going to look slightly slammed. Work may well end up on hold again because I might be moving my shop to another building. Several of us are thinking of combining our operations and equipment in a much larger shop than I have and its within walking distance. That would probably set my work back at least a month.

I do plan on getting those fenders from Carnut but he too seems to be experiencing delays so it may be a while. I have to have my son get them from him and then some arrangement has to be made to get them up here. That means a visit to my son most likely as he probably won't be coming up here with anything big enough to haul them. Right now that's about a $600.00 fuel bill for a round trip. Of course at my rate of progress all that will probably not be a problem.

If and when I get back on the project I'll get some progress pictures posted. Thanks for your input.

Later Man...
    scrapheap51
    scrapheap51

Post  scrapheap51 Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:18 pm

WOW!!!! great project. Just joined not to long ago and just got a chance to look around your forum. I look forward to learning from you guys. Thanks Darkside Dave. Ron

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:56 pm

scrapheap51 wrote:WOW!!!! great project. Just joined not to long ago and just got a chance to look around your forum. I look forward to learning from you guys. Thanks Darkside Dave. Ron

Hey, you just started my 9th page of my thread. Now, if I could just get back on my project. It seems like everthing in my life manages to wiggle it's way in front of my '53. Be careful trying to learn from me, I don't know as much as some people seem to think I do. I will however tell you I don't know if that is the case. In other words, I won't say, I don't know, but... There are guys on here that do know a lot though and they will all offer advice if asked. We are a small group but we cover a lot of the globe with members in five countries.

Welcome and enjoy the board.

Later Man...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:51 am

Hi Folks, I'm back... Did you miss me??? Probably not. Well, I have a good excuse,,, no, make that a reason. Go check out https://darksidersrealm.forumotion.com/t417-rumors-of-my-demise-are-greatly-exagerated#2490 and you will see why I have been absent and why I have not made progress or posted anything on this build thread. The purpose of this post is to let it be known that I am back on the project. Aside from the time required to do the car club project in the above link I have been busy with club business and the ongoing show and cruise-in season, I have taken some time to to improve my shop and clean out a lot of junk as well. I am still doing that work but it is no longer taking all my time. I have noticed that there is not a lot of posting going on here and I am just as much to blame as anyone. I hope all of you are really involved in your projects and you just have not had time to post rather than loosing interest in the board. This being the car show season I hope some of you that attend the shows can post some pictures of the really interesting stuff. Later Folks...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 Empty Found a bed...

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:10 pm

Hi Folks,
    Yesterday I went to the Pull-A-Part yard in Canton, Ohio and bought a short bed from a '93 Ranger pickup. It is going to be used on my '53. I still need to find a tail gate and one left side plastic inner fender for it. Oh yeah, new tail lights too.

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 SlashBed1

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 SlashBed2

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 SlashBed3

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 SlashBed4

So far as I am concerned it was a decent deal for $200.00.
    Later...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 Empty Body parts...

Post  Darkside Dave Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:54 pm

Here is the Ranger Splash bed and all the fenders I have collected to go in the storage building.

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 CtpSU-3

Below is a picture of one of my 10' X 20' storage stalls with all the parts I have collected for my truck before I put the stuff below in there.

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 CtpSU-2

Here is the stall with the bed moved in.

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 CtpSU-4

Here are all the fenders moved in. The truck is in my shop... Time for a new stall...

First '53 Build Thread - Page 5 CtpSU-1

Oh when will it end???

Later Folks...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm