Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

5 posters

changing plans and a wife wanting to murderize me .................

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

plans - changing plans and a wife wanting to murderize me ................. - Page 2 Empty Re: changing plans and a wife wanting to murderize me .................

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:53 pm

Yep,
    500 bucks is my standard upper limit too. I have long string of $600.00 price tags I walked away from. I have even been known to buy in multiples to get the unit price down to 500 bucks and sell off the surplus to people who would pay more. I would say that is one reason I'll end up with a 6K bill on my projects as compared to 20K+ for something not much better. Bang for the buck Man... That's what it's all about so far as I'm concerned. So Rave on and do what you gotta do to make it you and make it cheap.

Later Man...
    55f350
    55f350

plans - changing plans and a wife wanting to murderize me ................. - Page 2 Empty Re: changing plans and a wife wanting to murderize me .................

Post  55f350 Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:34 am

that lamp or bikini thing above is distracting me !!!!!!!!!!!!! anyway nothing new to report here . seem to be running into my old adversary lack of time again . bird is still occupying the garage and not making any headway !!!!! i am however going to let ya's know about a place i found that i will be getting my power steering stuff from for my flatty a buddy told me about . it's called gearheads out of bismark i think and they have a web site , just look 'em up . make systems for a lot of older it wasn't offered engines and cars as well as kits to swap the bird , cougar , mark 8 irs under 50's and 60's ford and merc cars .
    55f350
    55f350

Post  55f350 Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:57 am

welp here we go once again . the plans are changing . due to a lack of my patience , time and available funds , the 53 is getting a mild makeover , and the bird suspension is slated for the old frame once it's stripped down . also i will admit there is the sentimentality factor . the old girl has and does serve me well and does what i ask so ...... i found another cab a 55 in petersburg for 200 suppposedley , and we'll start another project afterwards . she'll killl me , but i do have other drivelines that are looking for a home .............. more later someone is bitchin" cause i'm not paying attention to what they think is important !!!!!!!!sheeeez ...............
    charger
    charger

Post  charger Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:10 pm

I usually never try to discourage anybody but this t-bird front end idea, i just don`t know?? i guess you can go with a sort of idea that upr and other mustang performance parts stores sell tubular k-members, making a L-shaped strut tubing bracket (2 tubes bent like a L and a steel plate welded in the middle for the strut) would work but you`d have to re-inforce the crap out of that frame, the frame on these trucks are pretty flimsy especially side to side, strut tower brace would for sure be needed.
    55f350
    55f350

Post  55f350 Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:56 am

yeah it presents some challenges , but it can be done . i can't figure out how to post pics or i'd put up some sketches i done showing what i got up my sleeve . so .... the shocks/ struts : i'm going to weld a solid slug into the stock bushing hole as the tubular a arms and stuff that is available they are having bending issues with , then qa1 and a couple of off road suspension co's have kits to assist me into welding in / fabricating new mounts for a set of coilovers qa1 helped me find / decide upon that are eyelet mount .figured out the spring rates as they increase when the shock is tilted . i'm going to build a arm mounts using modified mustang 2 upper towers , and box the frame , and extend the towers down into the cradle . besides which i have all the oe x members in it , and if needed i will run braces . i can't see after looking at it and the mustang 2 how it could be any harder on the frames than it . anyway the 53 is going back together using a straight axle and the 8.8 with reversed eye springs , raised mounts for the rear springs , a bird rack in front and pretty much as is except for no RUST , and hopefully done the way i envisioned it prior to this . as i said the old frame { going together using the new frame i got from dave } is going to get the bird , and i found a cab , and still looking for others and other parts to do this . it's taking a lot of redesigning the wheel as it were in the front , and i think i want to use either the other 4.6 or one of my fe's and build a nasty lil powerplant ..................... you know a hot rod !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    55f350
    55f350

Post  55f350 Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:35 am

reread your post charger , and i'm redesigning the wheel as it were to eliminate the strut , and go with a shock / coil over . i geuss too that you are assuming that like the 83-88 birds they share the mustang platform . nope . the mn 12 89-97's are onto there selves . there were tubular kmembers , and lower a arms available from aje , but they are what had the issues with bending etc. the mn12 uses a real odd lower a arm . look up a pic on oreilys or ..... . they are heavy cars too my 95 with a full tank and me in it tickles the 2 ton mark . don't look like it when ya look at them huh ??? i was going to box the frame as i mentioned where the suspension fore and aft is going in and the aformentioned a arm towers that'll run down into the cradle for extra support . without the struts i do not see why any tower braces are needed . it'd essentially become a different form of the mustang 2 front end that's so popular . we shall see . for now i'm still arguing with the 91 donor . the freaking bolts are rusted solidly into place and it's fighting me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    charger
    charger

Post  charger Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:39 am

O.K i see, i had a 88 bird which was like the mustang and assumed the newer ones were the same!oops my mistake!!dam assumptions! can you post pictures of this front end??
    55f350
    55f350

Post  55f350 Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:06 am

wish i could but haven't learned how to hold my tongue in the right spot dance on my head and spin and type at the same time to post pics here .......... i'll look and see if i even got any . if your on fte look up mytbgtruk's gallery he's got pics of his completed bonus built frame there with the front and rear suspension in it . i got a whole disc of pic's larry sent me to look and work from if bud ever give's it back ............ he's getting a notion to put one of the mn12 irs rears in his 56 mainline 2 door mild custom ....................
    55f350
    55f350

Post  55f350 Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:55 pm

welp all the crazy idea's are gone . the parts are being sold off , or traded , sold the mark 7 i got , sold a merc villager i had , and im gonna stick to the basics as that inherent toughness and simplicity is what has kept this green tank on the road all these years . the bird will become my sacrificial victim once bessie is back on the road with some mild updates . not too mention i'm just freaking tired of the longing of wanting to drive my baby ...............................................

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am