Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

5 posters

Questions about '52 F-5...

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Questions about '52 F-5... Empty Questions about '52 F-5...

Post  Darkside Dave Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:55 pm

I am going to post this here snd in the Big Trucks category because I'm not sure exactly where to put it.

I am going to go look at a '52 F-5 with a flathead V-8 that supposedly runs and can be driven. There is no bed but it got some recent storm damage from a limb that put a crease in the roof. I am assuming an F-5 has duak real wheels so tghis may belong in the Big Trucks category. Any thoughts on value limitations and what to look for will be greatly appreciated. I will post pictures after I look at it. Hopefully later today...

Later Folks...
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Questions about '52 F-5... Empty Re: Questions about '52 F-5...

Post  wmjoe1953 Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:03 pm

Well Dave, if it's got too much damage, then it's worth a lot less, obviously. An F-5 should fit right in into the Big Truck category. They'll suffer the same rust issues as the rest. Cab corners, drip rail, fender bottoms, and grille area. A F-5 should be a 239 flattie, or the straight 6, unless changed out through the years, but you are probably aware. Post pictures, and lets see it. Personally, I can go get a 53 F-600 can be made to run, and only minor dings and dents for $500 with a clear title. Personally, if it's a rusted out, wrecked truck, running or not, I'll offer a max of $5-600, but will try and be lower concidering the time needed to deal with typical damage.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Questions about '52 F-5... Empty Got The Pictures...

Post  Darkside Dave Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:50 pm

OK,

Went to look at the truck and took about 20 pictures.

Here's what I saw. This is a truck that spent over 50 years in the posession of the original owner on a farm about 15 miles from me. It was bought by a guy who was going to restore it and decided not to. He sold it to the guy who has it now. he statrted work on it but he needs money.

The only severe rust I found was the floor panel on the passenger side right where your feet would be. The rest of it is surprisingly rust free which is amazing for a truck native to this area. We're in the rust belt. The current owner took the front fenders off of it and had them in his basement. That is why it is so dark in the pictures.

The bed sitting on it does not go with it. We are just taliking a cab and chassis.

Two of the six wheels are the type with the split rim ring and the rest are two piece wheels.

It is a single speed rear end and a four speed. I don't know what tranny it is.

All the interior stuff and the SS trim is in good shape and nothing is missing.

I'm thinking of a complete restore or a cosmetic restore with a better drive line.

Questions about '52 F-5... F201

Questions about '52 F-5... F202

Questions about '52 F-5... F203

Questions about '52 F-5... F204

Questions about '52 F-5... F205

Questions about '52 F-5... F206

Questions about '52 F-5... F207

Questions about '52 F-5... F208

Questions about '52 F-5... F209

Questions about '52 F-5... F210

Questions about '52 F-5... F211

Questions about '52 F-5... F212

Questions about '52 F-5... F213

Questions about '52 F-5... F214

Questions about '52 F-5... F215

Questions about '52 F-5... F216

Questions about '52 F-5... F217

Questions about '52 F-5... F218

Questions about '52 F-5... F219

Questions about '52 F-5... F220

Questions about '52 F-5... TOP1

Questions about '52 F-5... TOP2

The Windshield and the side windows are good. The back glass and the wing windows need replaced. If I upgraded the drive line I would probably make a neat dove tail car hauler out if it. If I went resto I would build an authentic replica of the old stake body flat bed with white oak side fences.
    mostly52f1
    mostly52f1

Post  mostly52f1 Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:25 pm

its not a 52, but it looks pretty solid. 48-50 looks like.
    so is it in your possession!! i'd love to see another big truck on the road!
    that thing would kick ass hauling your F100.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:42 pm

mostly52f1 wrote:its not a 52, but it looks pretty solid. 48-50 looks like.
    so is it in your possession!! i'd love to see another big truck on the road!
    that thing would kick ass hauling your F100.

Yeah, my bad...

It's a '50...

I don't know why I said it was a '52. Old Timer's Disease I guess. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Yeah, that's the ticket...

Dang !!! I'm so embarrased...

No it isn't in my possession but it could be in a few days. he said everyone wants to buy parts of it. I think he is going to hold out for me because I said I wanted the whole thing including all removed parts. He said $500.00 and I did not argue. What do you think???

I know dang well I could not keep from Darksiding this thing if I keep it. I would probably put a newer diesel drive train in it because if I used it as a hauler it would have to be ready to go anyplace anytime.

wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:53 pm

$500's a steal. That's one of those just far enough in deterioration to go either way. I saw rust along the driver side floor above the lower seal. Looks like some rust forming on the hood where it's fatigued over the years. Personally, it's a lot of restorable metal. The engine looks left open enough to the elements that it's a core. It would be very costly to go restored on it. Trust me, the big trucks cost A LOT MORE. Good candidate for a Cummins. I don't particularly care for the dove tail idea, but a dolled up, modernized toter with multiple trailer hitch options would be cool. That way, if you wanted to tote a travel trailer instead of a car one time, you could, or something like that. Either way, you'ld be a fool to pass on it for $500. Or, hang onto it for me, and I'll make my way to you to come take it off your hands...... Very Happy
    mostly52f1
    mostly52f1

Post  mostly52f1 Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:19 am

oh yeah, definitely worth 500 bucks!!! hell the cab itself is worth that to me.
    i think it needs to be turned into a rollback.

oh i knew you knew it wasnt a 52, just had to give you a hard time lol.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:07 am

mostly52f1 wrote:oh yeah, definitely worth 500 bucks!!! hell the cab itself is worth that to me.
    i think it needs to be turned into a rollback.

oh i knew you knew it wasnt a 52, just had to give you a hard time lol.

Yep, there's an idea. But It would take me a while to come up with a rollback bed. Right now the $500.00 is putting a kink in my operating budget but it's hard to pass up.

If the top cant be straightened out I may have to find another section to weld in to it. It would be a big job to straighten out even if it can be.

I'm going to see a buddy today about a place to keep it because I am filled up here.

Later Man...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:24 pm

wmjoe1953 wrote:$500's a steal. That's one of those just far enough in deterioration to go either way. I saw rust along the driver side floor above the lower seal. Looks like some rust forming on the hood where it's fatigued over the years. Personally, it's a lot of restorable metal. The engine looks left open enough to the elements that it's a core. It would be very costly to go restored on it. Trust me, the big trucks cost A LOT MORE. Good candidate for a Cummins. I don't particularly care for the dove tail idea, but a dolled up, modernized toter with multiple trailer hitch options would be cool. That way, if you wanted to tote a travel trailer instead of a car one time, you could, or something like that. Either way, you'ld be a fool to pass on it for $500. Or, hang onto it for me, and I'll make my way to you to come take it off your hands...... Very Happy

The truck runs. The guy pulled the air cleaner to prime the carb. It has 62,000 mileas on it. It has not been exposed that long. he just pulled the front off to work on it.

I am probably going to get the truck but I need to make some storage arrangements because I do not have time to work on it now. I was thinking of a diesel drive train too. Beyond that I have no particulay preferences. Besides not having the time right now I need time to collect parts. It would probably be at least a year before I work on it or get any parts collected.

Later Man...
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Questions about '52 F-5... Empty I couldn't believe it !!!

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:21 pm

I just called the guy with the truck to tell him I would be over tomorrow with the money for the truck. That was when he just told me he sold the engine for $400.00 and they were taking it out right then. I was kind of pissed because I told him I'd take the truck and he agreed to it for $500.00. But then there was a part of me that decided that if I wanted to use it as a classy toter I would be replacing the whole drive train. Short version... I offered him $150.00 for the truck with title and he went for it. I sort of think he did me a favor by getting rid of the engine. Funny part is they didn't take the transmission so I'll probably sell that.

Most likely I will keep an eye out for a wrecked late model 2 ton truck and take everything including wheels,brakes, axels and drive train. Maybe just sit it all over on the new chassis if I can find one long enough to make a toter. I have plenty of time to collect parts and decide what to do. I might watch for a school bus to come up for sale. The main thing is I'll have the truck with a decent body and a title. I still have two '53 F-100s to work on that I have serious modification plans for.

Later Folks...
    mostly52f1
    mostly52f1

Post  mostly52f1 Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:13 pm

wow dave you made a killin. if that isnt a sign to put a cumins in it i dont know what is!!!
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:31 pm

mostly52f1 wrote:wow dave you made a killin. if that isnt a sign to put a cumins in it i dont know what is!!!

Yeah, I guess even a blind squirrel gets an acorn sometime...

Hey, I'll settle for an old 7.3 IDI because I have one that has lasted for 256K and I'm still running it. It will just depend on what comes along really cheap in the next year and if I am still around to do it. I have a buddy that has beeb in owning and driving big rigs for 40 years. I'll have him keep an eye out. he's so cheap he aqueaks when he walks. If anyone knows where the deals are, it's him.

Then on the other hand somebody might make me an offer I can't refuse.

Later Man...
    mostly52f1
    mostly52f1

Post  mostly52f1 Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:21 pm

hey you dont have any 48-52 f1 cabs laying around do you? i've got a 7.3 power joke oh um i mean power stroke sitting at work. actually i think there is 3 or 4 of them out in the yard. love workin at a junk yard lol, i just "acquired" a 460 out of a old Lincoln, and some one bought a jeep transmission and brought a c6 in as a core, the guy told me there was nothing wrong with the c6 he just didnt have an old jeep tranny to give as a core. plus there is several 9"s sitting around. i really dont want to tear my truck apart again, so i'm looking for a f1 cab(and doors) to sit on a frame of some kind lol, whatever i can find in the yard that will work Smile
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Questions about '52 F-5... Empty Oh this just gets better and then it gets worse...

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:00 pm

Now I am pissed. That asshole just called me up and told me he sold the truck to someone else. I really haven't lost anything but I cannot stand people who do shit like this. It is really just a waste of my time. I have no use for low life that makes a deal and then ignore's it. The slimy bastard didn't even have the guts to tell me himself. he got his wife to call me. He probably would not have done that except for the fact he was afraid I would show up and he would have to face me

So here it is,

His name is Glen Hupp in Marietta, Ohio

If you ever come across this guy in a deal avoid him like the plague...

later Folks...
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:38 pm

Wow, that's shady Dave. I'd be kinda pissed too. Did you guys shake on it? I guess the old saying about a man true to his word don't mean diddly anymore. If I shake, that's the way it is. Even on these sites, a verbal deal is as good as a shake. If you can't live up to it, then shame on you. What an ass. But then again, from the other side.....cash in hand talks. Being back tomorrow is never a guarantee. Not defending his actions, but there is that side of the deal too. You'll find another one, this time it'll be better, with no rust, and no tree related dents, for the same amount of money.
    mostly52f1
    mostly52f1

Post  mostly52f1 Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:39 pm

Glen Hupp
    806 Front St
    Marietta, OH 45750
    (740) 568-9168

oops haha maybe someone should give him a call lol.

sorry for your loss, what goes around comes around. just wait, a better deal is just around the corner.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:20 pm

wmjoe1953 wrote:Wow, that's shady Dave. I'd be kinda pissed too. Did you guys shake on it? I guess the old saying about a man true to his word don't mean diddly anymore. If I shake, that's the way it is. Even on these sites, a verbal deal is as good as a shake. If you can't live up to it, then shame on you. What an ass. But then again, from the other side.....cash in hand talks. Being back tomorrow is never a guarantee. Not defending his actions, but there is that side of the deal too. You'll find another one, this time it'll be better, with no rust, and no tree related dents, for the same amount of money.

When it was $500.00 I told him it would be Monday to get the money and he said he would wait... His words, not mine... Today when he said he sold the engine he said $150.00 which I had in hand and I said I can bring that to him. He again said no he would wait. You are right, the truck was his to do whatever he wanted with. I respect that and when I make a deal I stick to it no matter what. The issue here is honor and keeping his word. I was warned after the fact the he is a slime ball. I guess I was raised in a different time when that mesnt something to be a man of your word. I should know better nowadays because I get lied to all the time and when I cathch someone on it they act as if it's no big deal.

The reality is that I'm probably better off without the truck. It sure would have been better not to have wasted so much time on it. I probably would not have made a point of telling what happened but I started this thread and I needed to explain why it ended.
    wmjoe1953
    wmjoe1953

Post  wmjoe1953 Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:27 pm

Oh believe me, I agree with you. Very slimy to not stick by a verbal deal. That aint good people for sure. I was raised like you, a hand shake is final, and takes mutual agreement to break it. Shady indeed. You'll get a better one soon enough. Just think of the money you saved, and now can invest in your '53 projects.....
    dyoung14

Post  dyoung14 Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:16 pm

i hate people like that , i was hoping we would all see a nice big truck build with a 7.3 idi Laughing that would really be awesome
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:52 pm

dyoung14 wrote:i hate people like that , i was hoping we would all see a nice big truck build with a 7.3 idi Laughing that would really be awesome

Yeah but what was I to do??? Win some, loose some... You know, it wasn't even loosing the truck as much as having a run in with another asshole. You really have to wonder how people get that way.

Later Man...
    dyoung14

Post  dyoung14 Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:32 pm

yea, well never understood why so many people are ass holes
    charger
    charger

Post  charger Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:50 am

having my own business for 7 years,you sure notice that word of mouth does not work! i`ll take it! i`ll be back in a few days with the cash! you know darn well he won`t be back! i got so pissed off with people like that that at the end i`d only order parts if they paid me ahead of time,if i sold something down payment or its not sold! honour system these days means squat!!its kind of sad but thats the way it is! so Dave i know how you feel! i`ve even had buddies that put downpayments on just for example a $800.00 car,they gave him 250.00 because thats all they had on them,made the deal,next day they go and pick up the car, the cars gone!!,guy at least gave him back his deposit but still thats a real p*ss off!!
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:05 am

charger wrote:having my own business for 7 years,you sure notice that word of mouth does not work! i`ll take it! i`ll be back in a few days with the cash! you know darn well he won`t be back! i got so pissed off with people like that that at the end i`d only order parts if they paid me ahead of time,if i sold something down payment or its not sold! honour system these days means squat!!its kind of sad but thats the way it is! so Dave i know how you feel! i`ve even had buddies that put downpayments on just for example a $800.00 car,they gave him 250.00 because thats all they had on them,made the deal,next day they go and pick up the car, the cars gone!!,guy at least gave him back his deposit but still thats a real p*ss off!!

Yeah, faith in my fellow man has taken on a whole new meaning. Nowadays there are a very select few you can trust to do the right thing and those few are usually your very close and real friends. Even well mannered and cordial people will regularly accept doing the wrong thing as OK if you can get by with it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am