Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

5 posters

Local Marietta Car Show...

Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Local Marietta Car Show... Empty Local Marietta Car Show...

Post  Darkside Dave Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi Folks,

I just got back from the annual Father's Day Car Show that is held in one of the city parks here. I thought I'd share a few pics of some of the stuff that caught my eye for various reasons. There were a lot more cars there but I found these few to be unique in my opinion. This show has managed to avoid the rice burners and tuners. It remains more old school and restorations. Everything here made it in on their own power and leaves the same way.

Hope you enjoy the pics...

Local Marietta Car Show... Cs9-1

Local Marietta Car Show... Cs9-2
    This is an original 1963 Avanti, not one of those replicas...
    Local Marietta Car Show... Cs9-3

Local Marietta Car Show... Cs9-4

Local Marietta Car Show... Cs9-5

Local Marietta Car Show... Cs9-6

Local Marietta Car Show... Cs9-7

Local Marietta Car Show... Cs9-8

Local Marietta Car Show... Cs9-9
    1923 and 1924 Model T's

Local Marietta Car Show... Cs9-10
    The new Camaro. Will it make or break Chevrolet ???

Local Marietta Car Show... Cs9-11

Local Marietta Car Show... Cs9-12

Local Marietta Car Show... Cs9-13
    Three pics above, really nice old Cadillac...

Local Marietta Car Show... Cs9-14
    Really nice '40 Chevrolet that belongs to a buddy of mine that did all the work. It is for sale...

Local Marietta Car Show... Cs9-15

Local Marietta Car Show... Cs9-16

Local Marietta Car Show... Cs9-17
    tomget
    tomget

Local Marietta Car Show... Empty Father's Day car shows

Post  tomget Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:27 am

Hey Dave

WE had a Father's day car show here also. I walked over this morning and enjoyed it. The shopping center just down the street has it every year for 15ys or so. Its a local institution. But I did notice there weren't very many attendees under 50+. And it looked like the majority of the entrants were 60+. Of course car shows vary and this one has always been a "invite only" for "the right people" etc. Neat cars for sure. Everything from rods to stockers, and all really "show car like". I guess I was just wondering if other younger(also wealthy and successful) will replace these people in years to come? Or will this kind of interest go away. While we have some younger car builders in the community, I wonder if the next generation will have the same interest or maybe not even the same opportunities with the future uncertainties regarding fuels/cars/trucks etc. Or will they make "lawn art"--or "driveway art" out of all these beautiful cars and trucks?

Thanks fot the photos.

Tom
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Local Marietta Car Show... Empty Re: Local Marietta Car Show...

Post  Darkside Dave Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:30 am

Hi Tom,

Yeah I too have some of those same thoughts. The majority of people showing cars here are older also. I noticed the people attending were mostly people in their 30's and up. Around here there are few if any young people with enough skill and/or ambition to build cars. The wealthier just run out and buy something or have something built. There was stuff like that at the show but I only took pics of the stuff I found unique or interesting. Unfortunately there were now works in progress there. I like to see projects in the making.

I'm afraid the art of customizing and restoring cars is totally lost on today's youth. I think they are about the laziest generation yet. If someone doesn't give them something for free they don't have it or care about it. They are for the most part a generation of Mall Monkeys.

Later Man...
    shameless
    shameless

Post  shameless Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:06 pm

I went to that one too. out of all of the cars there, my favorites are the 56 fairlane (pic one on here) and the 32 roadster (pick 3 on here) My wife stoped for the longest for the 1910 cadillac. (picks 11, 12, & 13) God bless that girl! lol My 14 month old son kept pointing and jabbering at the orange 60's model ford (last pic) Not sure if it was the truck, or the color, but it definately made his ol' mans heart swell a little. lol couldnt help but think, "thats my boy!" 14 months and already catching the bug!!! lol

Dave we must have some similar tastes, you got a lot of the cars that cought my attention.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:58 pm

Sorry I missed you at the show Man...
    shameless
    shameless

Post  shameless Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:37 am

yeah me too. but we werent there very long, Gage was getting pretty hot, the little guy is still trying to get used to our weather changes. He's hanging in there though, he loves the truck because he can stick his hand up to the window and feel the air moving, in my 2dr explorer all he can do is slap the closed window. lol I've been meaning to swing up your way again dave, but I've been pretty slammed at work lately. lol
    Anonymous

Post  Guest Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:06 am

tomget wrote:Hey Dave

WE had a Father's day car show here also. I walked over this morning and enjoyed it. The shopping center just down the street has it every year for 15ys or so. Its a local institution. But I did notice there weren't very many attendees under 50+. And it looked like the majority of the entrants were 60+. Of course car shows vary and this one has always been a "invite only" for "the right people" etc. Neat cars for sure. Everything from rods to stockers, and all really "show car like". I guess I was just wondering if other younger(also wealthy and successful) will replace these people in years to come? Or will this kind of interest go away. While we have some younger car builders in the community, I wonder if the next generation will have the same interest or maybe not even the same opportunities with the future uncertainties regarding fuels/cars/trucks etc. Or will they make "lawn art"--or "driveway art" out of all these beautiful cars and trucks?

Thanks fot the photos.

Tom

Its not the young people who are the question here.
    Its the governments repression that may stop old cars in the future.
    I know guys 17 to 20 who love old cars.
    One 20 year old has a 1971 Ford pickup that hes had for 6 years.
    It was his uncles and he has spent $11,000 of his own money 'over restoring' it.
    Now hes doing a cub tractor, next is his 59 Ford, then a 41 Ford pickup.
    havi
    havi

Post  havi Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:20 pm

I'd have to agree. My younger (half-) brothers and their friends are pretty much into old iron as well. Some of which are a '49 Ford sedan, '50 Chevy 5 window pickup, and '64 Biscayne. I got the Mach 1 hood from a guy in his early 20's, too. Age is not so much a limiting factor when their parents get them involved in this kind of hobby. The limiting factor is money! And the govt. might make it harder for them to spend it...IE: If they make the supply go away, the demand will create higher prices....which will defer any young kid to try something else instead. Now the funny part is what they will think is old....like a 1990 Ford Probe, lol. Or the last of the Jeep Cherokees that fall under the new clunker law.

BTW, to get back on topic, that pair of Model T's is sweet!!!
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:42 pm

So,just exctly what is the new clunker law??? I must be living a sheltered life because I have heard of it but I have no idea what it is. I guess I need to Google it...
    Anonymous

Post  Guest Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:54 pm

I dont think the 'clunker law' will have any effect on anything but I am willing to listen to anyone who knows more than I do
    havi
    havi

Post  havi Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:05 pm

In a nutshell, anything over 25 years old is safe. Anything less has to have really good gas mileage to be safe. Otherwise you can bring it in and get something like $4500 rebate on a new car that gets X-amount better mpg than the one being brought in. Basically, all those SUV's that are out there (Jeeps of the 80's/90's are a popular example being used). So you start doing this now, and 25 years from now, those that survived from being turned in will be the ones that are exempt. I understand the logic, but it is a complete unknown what it will be like 25 years from now.

Imagine if they did something like this back in 1973? There would be no 50's Effies.
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:09 pm

Yeah, I looked it up on Google. I had heard of it but I didn't know exactly what it was.

Thanks for the come back though because you explaination was better than what I read.
    55f350
    55f350

Post  55f350 Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:24 am

picture number 1 made my heart flutter !!!!!!!!!! first car i truly owned was a 55 fairlane sedan { 2 door } . had a pink and white cron vic skyliner of vintage 56 too ................... sheeeeeezzzz i want one back !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Post  Guest Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:19 am

I had a two tone green 56 Ford Sedan, 292, 4 barrel, dual exhaust.
    I'd like to get that car back!
    shameless
    shameless

Post  shameless Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:55 am

55f350, how did those fairlanes ride? were they as smooth as they look? lol I'd love to have one someday, but not sure if it'll happen. Sad lol even if I did, not sure if I could get parts to fix one. lol
    55f350
    55f350

Post  55f350 Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:26 pm

mine rode pretty good , but the first one the fairlane , was a " hot rod " and had the front coils cut , and some leaves pulled out on the back , 390 4 speed , etc. etc. and wasnt a cushy ride but rode decent .

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am