Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darksider's Realm

(this is not a place for lazy video game freaks. We Darksiders have been around doing our thing for decades before the mindless couch blobs latched onto the term Darksider)

DARKSIDER In the world of automotive hobbyists a Darksider is one who modifies and or customizes any and all sorts of vehicles. The Darksiders are in a class of their own simply because they endeavor to be different and do things that others would not attempt for a number of reasons mostly being related to a lack of ability and fear of non conformity.

This is a forum for people who think outside the box in everything they do. It doesn’t matter if you are modifying or building from scratch. It doesn’t matter what brand or brands of vehicles or components you are using. It doesn’t matter if you are working on a mini car or a bus.

We will not be asking you for donations or any kind of monetary payments. We will be asking for help in terms moderators and encouraging you to spread the word and add to our membership.

Darksider's Realm

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darksider's Realm

A message board & forum for automotive builders, fabricators and customizers who think outside the box.

+2
carnut122
tomget
6 posters

Test Drive

tomget
    tomget

rear - Test Drive Empty Test Drive

Post  tomget Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:12 pm

Hi all

I made a nice easy test drive around town this afternoon. Nothing fell off, caught fire, or made a horrible scary noise. I plan to venture even further tomorrow. I just need to find some more gas money.

https://s415.photobucket.com/albums/pp237/tomget/?action=view&current=DSCN2218.jpg

Tom

rear - Test Drive DSCN2218

Last edited by Darkside Dave on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : There you go Tom, I fixed it so your picture shows here without clicking the link. If you want to do it thi way just remove the part (?action=view&current) fron the link and use the image icon.)
    carnut122
    carnut122

rear - Test Drive Empty Re: Test Drive

Post  carnut122 Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:25 pm

Nice truck. I see it's tubbed. How wide are your rear tires?
    tomget
    tomget

rear - Test Drive Empty rear tires

Post  tomget Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:52 pm

Hi carnut

Those are 31x18.5 Hoosier Pro Streets. What's that cab? What are planning?

Tom
    carnut122
    carnut122

Post  carnut122 Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:02 pm

That's the current state of my truck. Shocked
    deyomatic

Post  deyomatic Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Wow, that's a nice looking '58...I've got a '60. That stretch of road looks like it's begging for a couple of parallel 18.5" black stripes going down the right hand lane!
    tomget
    tomget

rear - Test Drive Empty test drive

Post  tomget Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:57 pm

Thanks deyomatic

I would like to burn some rubber for sure, but I've only got about 200?miles on it--no
    speedo/tripmeter etc. Just using the tach. But at the moment I've got it back in my workshop
    so I can look for loose fasteners etc. And I've found'm too. Let's see-most annoying was the
    fact my front lug nuts had loosened --that's not good. When I build something I take it apart and
    put it together and repeat that sequence many times, and some times I get a little "lost' on
    the "puttogether". So I'm crawling underneath and
    testing and torqueing all the wheels-front and rear etc,adjusted a little leak at the pipe
    nipple connection between the rear fuel filter/fuel pump,
    tightened both motor mounts where each has a 5inch long carriage bolt that
    keeps things together--it was only hand tightened!!! Yikes!! So I'll continue with that for a while yet.
    HOPEFULLY I'll find all my "shortcomings". I've never had something "fall off" a new build, but I can see
    how easy it could happen. You can see my "startup" video at Youtube if your interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7oRwxwmw84

Good luck
    Tom
    55f350
    55f350

Post  55f350 Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:12 am

ok so maybe i'm missing something here but what's under the hood ??? that thing is cool as hell .
    tomget
    tomget

rear - Test Drive Empty test drive

Post  tomget Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:55 am

hi there 55F350

What's under the hood? That's a 460 485hp crate motor from FRP. Its
    the first motor I've bought from them, and so far it works just
    fine. I'm not any kind of great mechanic. So I stay out of the internals, but
    I can tell you about it. Its regularly advertised in Jegs/Summit etc. I bought
    it 5 or 6 years ago when the price was a lot lower than today. Like I said 485hp
    @ 6150rpm, 480Ft/lbs torque,hydraulic flat tappet cam .562" intake and .588" exhaust-
    234degrees intake and 244degrees exhaust at .050" lift. I made some changes though, I
    added a Milodon #22570 Oil pump drive shaft,Melling M-84EHV-S hi volume oil pump, Milodon 30929
    9qt front sump low profile pan. And on the ignition side I'm using the supplied Ford
    distributor and all other MSD stuff like their 75611 Programmable Launch Rev Limiter,7550
    Programmer/Monitor Digital 7, 7552 Shift Light non programmable, 6420 MSD6AL ignition.
    I'm using an old C6 tranny out of an old station wagon and I had a neighbor rebuild it and
    put in a street/strip shift kit, plus a modest rpm torque converter 1500rpm or so?
    Its got a Ford 9inch differential with Detroit locker, a narrowed housing and 35 spline axles
    4:11 gears. That's the big picture. I drove it to school last night and I continue to
    tweak changes here and there, but its working OK.rear - Test Drive Copy2of03-13-2006-17-21-39-694_edit
    Tom
    Holmsey
    Holmsey

Post  Holmsey Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:33 pm

Love that Man, whooo hooo on the engine choice.. You don't see many white trucks and it sure does suit that colour (color) ;o)

Have you done enough miles yet to nail that throttle?
    I have a liddle diddly 302 in mine and managed a 15.02 with a sleep at the lights and some wheel spin.. So that thang should fly..
    tomget
    tomget

rear - Test Drive Empty racing

Post  tomget Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:07 pm

Hey Holmsey

I think i recall seeing a video of your truck? It was parked on the street, and you talked about it and then drove down the road. Is that right. Anyway right or wrong its nice to hear from you--my cousin across the pond, and yes I've taken it to the strip. I live just over the hill--25minutes easy driving to Infinion Raceway in Northern California. And I raced it there a couple weeks back for the first and had a real good experience. I was pleased that I passed tech inspection and made 3practice runs for time only, and then was eliminated in the 3rd round of competition--I did the Red light. It happens. I've got a video, but it was windy and I only used my camera digital camera etc and the sound is bad but you can get an idea. The best I did was 13.72sec @102mph. And that was with a real slow 60foot time of 2.5sec--without slicks of some kind it just doesn't get going off the line that quickly, but once moving its fast!!

Good luck Tom

rear - Test Drive Th_DSCN2247

rear - Test Drive Th_DSCN2242
    Holmsey
    Holmsey

Post  Holmsey Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:54 pm

Hi Tom yes that was me.... I keep saying I will get another video done now I am more relaxed about the Truck Ha HA.... you have a good memory.
    I really enjoyed the 2 video's you have just posted, truck looks great and goes real well.It's a blast isn't it, having an old truck that shows many modern cars its heels.

You need to work on them hood latches though Ha Ha ...
    Just taken mine off the road to do some winter maintenance.. Then its back out terrorising the neighbourhood ;o)..
    tomget
    tomget

rear - Test Drive Empty hood latches

Post  tomget Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:24 pm

Hi Holmsey

You're right about the latches. They were working fine during regular street use and such, but the dynamics of racing somehow--probably the 100+mph--I don't do that on the street would cause the left side latch to come undone.
    So after trial and error I decided for me I'd just go the "drag racing" route and install a pair of traditional "hood holdowns". I'd been reluctant to do that, because I didn't really want hardware sticking up throught the hood--"bonnet to you?", but now that I've done it--it looks OK for me. And the tilt hood all is totally "stable". I haven't gone back to the track since the initial test videos etc. but I'm certain all will work well.

rear - Test Drive DSCN2251-1

Good luck Tom
    Darkside Dave
    Darkside Dave
    Admin

Post  Darkside Dave Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:33 pm

Hey Tom,

Thanks for posting the videos. I think that was great. Also it was cool to see you in the video interview. You are the first guy on here to put a face with the name. There is one other guy here I've seen but that's because he lives close by.

Later Man...
    Holmsey
    Holmsey

Post  Holmsey Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIy7VIzaGTA

Here is the link from my Video.
    I get quite embarrassed watching it as I do look a numpty ;o) I was still very hi as this was its first proper drive out and not 100% finished. Bakey my mate who did the video took me totally by surprise so I just didn't know what to say or do. But I enjoy looking at the Truck still, must add I have a new truck horn now.
    Seeing the video again has spurred me on to get the winter jobs sorted and get out and drive it some more.. Thanks for posting your video's Tom it made me look at mine again..

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am